1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

interesting problem with hi-res

Discussion in 'Music' started by John-Miles, Mar 31, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

the general public ie J6P will decide if Hi-Res survives, but J6P dosent ahve the gear to play it properly, i was just surfing the internet and reading reviews on a disc i own, and a number of people were saying that the disc lacked power and it wasent loud enough and they wished they had headphones designed for that format.... and it reallygot me thinking how many of these people even ahve receivers or amps that can drive their speakers at decent levels with all channels driven?

Dont get me wrong I am not saying anythign bad about HTiB's and such, theya re great for bringing things to the mass market, but in my experience most of the lower end receivers and such have severe drop offs in power with all channels driven, and lets be hoenst movies do not use the rear channels as much (in general) as music does when played in surround. so how many of these people are suffering from equipment not being able to handle the volume they want, yet they assume it is the disc that is the problem because they dont knwo that their receiver will drop off its power with all channels driven as opposed to stereo.

just some thoughts that struck me today, any comments?

*and yes i am becoming an elitest ba**ard, but really I'm ok with that [​IMG] *

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You're operating under the (IMO false) assumption that the hi-rez formats are intended to one day replace CD. It is not the case. Whether the hi-rez formats survive or not has nothing to do with how "Joe six-pack" percieves them. They're going to be like the LaserDisc format was; a high end niche format that enthusiasts love and everyday people could care less about.

3. Phil A

Phil A Premium
    Supporter

Phil
    John, you are absolutely right. That's why the future of SACD, if it is to make it, is in hybrids price around the same as regular CDs. For DVD-A, they have also announced hybrids and if they are to be mainstream as well, they need a similar pricing structure. As it is people complain about CD pricing and if it is not priced at about that point it won't stand much of a chance. The average buyer under the above circumstances will at least be getting stuff they can play w/o an extra hit in the wallet and will still not likely hear most of the benefits on many systems.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

If dvd-audio stays a niche market that is O.K. with me. I'm willing to pay up to $20 a disc because: it is new technology using highly accurate circuitry (the recording end); it makes a big difference in the listening experience; & there aren't a lot of them. In other words this a PREMIUM format and a higher cost is a natural thing.

IMO people whining that they cost too much (and sacd's too) are living in dreamland. How come so many people these days feel they "deserve" low prices on everything???

I just want dvd-audio to stick around period. I would like Regular Joes to buy them too, but ultimately I don't care what they think about hi-res.

LJ

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    John, low-end people won't know or care if they get the highest performance possible if they even do adopt M/C music. They won't care if their home theatre in a box is bass shy or whatever. As long as music is coming out of all the speakers they will be impressed. They're not ever going to pay the curent prices of software or same in indexed dollars in some future year if SACD and DVD-A even last. The hi-rez future is so dim that you don't have to wear shades.[​IMG] Best wishes!

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

8. Chris_Eff

Chris_Eff Stunt Coordinator

I am glad that J6P is joining the MC/HR music bandwagon. That makes things cheaper for someone like me who can appreciate the difference of them on my low to mid (but someday really hopes it will be a high end) system but can't really afford to go too crazy with it. The more people that jump on will drive the cost down just like with DVD, I can not believe what I can buy now compared to a few years ago. I know that it will bring some negative such as mass market music but that is a small price so that everyone can enjoy the benefits that these formats provide.

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

But also remember that this is the same general public that listens to DVDs through their TV speakers.

There seems to be a notion current on this forum that every household with a DVD player is also setup for multichannel music, but I can assure you this is not the case. Nearly everyone I know has a DVD player, but only a handful have surround systems (and only a teensy fraction of those have non-HT-in-a-box systems).

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Screenwriter

12. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

For most people, the CD sounded much better on their low-to-mid-fi systems--than their typically crappy plastic tonearm/ceramic cartridge record changer. If you happened to own a revealing system, then maybe CDs didn't sound better (especially the ones that incorrectly used RIAA equalized master tapes as their source--those sounded NASTY).

And of course, CDs are much easier to handle & do last much, much longer than vinyl. To me, this aspect is a huge advantage over LPs (and I say this as I wait for JandR Music World to deliver my new turntable). Playing music with vinyl is certainly a more hands-on & "organic" experience than CD or dvd-a/sacd, in turn giving it a certain mystique. But the sound from many modern CDs is excellent IMO. And after hearing my DV-656A playback my "Fragile" and Linda Ronstadt dvd-audios with no high-frequency harshness whatsover and the smallest details reproduced clearly, this puts the LP's disconcerting pops/crackles & unwanted inner-groove & euphonic distortions in perspective.

LJ

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I have some really good-sounding CD's, but I mainly use them for the reasons Brian listed above, especially in the car, and not to enjoy the sound per se (although there are many that are very happy with it, no doubt about it). SACD, in my experience, can be on par with good vinyl and you get MC to boot.