What's new

Interesting Onkyo conundrum... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My SR707 is having issues...

Yesterday there was video and no audio. After killing the wall(the rats nest of plug-ins is ridiculous...killed it at the wall) and giving it a minute, turned it all on...returned to normal.

This morning. No audio. Same reset as yesterday has done nothing.

But...I tried the factory reset(which on it is stupid...cause the procedure turns it on half-way through).

Anyway...here is the pinch.

I only get audio via Pure Audio and headphones. All inputs work(HDMI, DC, Toslink, analog and tuner).

Nothing through the speakers. Or not with anything other than PA..

Dirty headphone jack...or?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Factory reset(different directions) worked this time.

Before direct and pure audio would only work via headphone jack.

Now all is fine...except I have to reconnect it. Based on other threads elsewhere I've found...time to start figuring out the 707's replacement.

Bought it for $200 almost 2 years ago. No complaints.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Has anybody here used one of those "We'll fix your HDMI board on your Onkyo" Ebay servicers?

IT appears the HDMI board dying messes with the DSP/DAC as well. Odd the only sound is headphones via RCA/tuner in direct/pure audio.

Zone 2 works(cause in the 707 it is only analog anyway).

The 7 channels(including pre-out...I tried) are dead.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If I don't fix this...

I'm either buying the cheapest DSX AVR(A4L, CL or Ebay) I can find.

Or I'm going whole hog on a 9CH AVR with Airplay(Onkyo is still there cause I can get an ATV) to make my 2nd zone easier.

Essentially "now" is a bad time to buy AVR. But I do 4 theatres...

Once 4K is straightened out...and display price gets to $4000 for 110-130"...I'm in. And I assume once that happens...HDMI 2.0 will be required.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Has anybody here used one of those "We'll fix your HDMI board on your Onkyo" Ebay servicers?

IT appears the HDMI board dying messes with the DSP/DAC as well. Odd the only sound is headphones via RCA/tuner in direct/pure audio.

Zone 2 works(cause in the 707 it is only analog anyway).

The 7 channels(including pre-out...I tried) are dead.
I just had a 818 go down for me with video only and no audio. Resetting receiver doesn't work all the time. It's still under warranty so I'm going to contact Onkyo and send it in for repairs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert Crawford said:
I just had a 818 go down for me with video only and no audio. Resetting receiver doesn't work all the time. It's still under warranty so I'm going to contact Onkyo and send it in for repairs.
Yeah, I don't have that option*. I bought the 707 on Ebay for $280/including shipping, right at 2 years ago. It came with an Ipod dock and the XM/Sirius dock. Sold both of those for around $100. So I've got $180 in this thing for 2 years. I can't complain.

*Warranty is 2 years gone anyway. Was probably already expired when I got it. Onkyo is offering a "one-time-good-faith" repair to original owners of the X06/X07 models. I bought it right when the X09 models had come out. She basically sold it for the cost of buying the NR509.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dumb ass me just bought a 929 receiver before the 818 went bad on me. I hope they improved the HDMI boards and such with these newer models.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't think it is as widespread as you'd think.

The other three Onkyo/Integra are fine...(1008/DTR 5.8/DTR 7.8)

I dusted off the AVR4308 I had in a closet for the time being.

I should sell it...but I it is my back up in case my Integra DTR 7.8 ever dies.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Sorry for your loss, sounds like youre taking it better than I would. For me the loss of an AVR is much more of a PITA than just the monetary loss. Guess it really depends on the complexity of your system and whats involved getting it replaced. Ironically the only AVR Ive ever had to prematurely pull from my rack was an Onkyo. Never again sir, never again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I already fired off some EBay bids on a Marantz, two Denon, four Onkyo, an Integra and one Elite.All have width(obviously the Elite isn't DSX).Two don't have pre-outs, but I bid low on them.My goal is to stay half the cost of my main two contenders on A4L. Over half...I'll just buy a refurb. I could go through my prior employer, but sales tax and shipping it(the office near me in Chicago closed) Will be more than A4L.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Only receivers I have for sale at the moment are a well traveled Marantz 8002 (with matching BDP-8002) and an old Arcam AVR 100, neither of which would satisfy your requirements.

I really liked the Marantz 5005 and especially the 6005 I had which were replaced with a 7005. All were a bit over-priced compared to what else was out there but they are so easy to setup and operate that they're almost worth it. The 8002 has a complicated remote. Never cared for Onkyo just because of the funky looking front faceplate. Really like Integra though. There's a 9.9 pre-amp on Audiogon for $499 but I need to curtail my buying for a while. This is also tough to pass on but...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/4167980827.html

I also like Elites but my guess is you would be a bit disappointed. I'm still just doing 5.1 and have no need for all the new features of the last few years so older avr's still work fine for me.

I'm kinda of interested in what you wind up with.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The big irritant on searching DSX AVR is that not all DSX are width.

Completely asinine.

To that DSX isn't necessarily on all IIz AVR either.

Audio5

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
My txsr 876 just went down 3 mths ago. I bought the ext warr. Now it was my hdmi and a few other things as well. I had to max vol just to here the sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Getting ready to review an Elite AVR. I'll have that till basically Christmas.All the used stuff I want is almost nonexistent. Almost tempted to get an Integra pre-pro and use some of the amps I have laying around.

Audio5

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
I did a lot of research my self. It's hard to find a good solid receiver around that $1400 mark. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. To push my mains I need good solid clean power. It has taken me a few years to build this system up and I have over 10k invested into speakers and cables. I use a monster 3600 reference power system to power everything. My next plan is to replace my aging bluray. I am using a bdps-500. Sonys orangial high end player bought it new way way back

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Update...

Bought the "$75 HDMI fix" on Ebay. Took a total of 12 days to get the board back.

As good as it was before. Now I can sit and wait till HDMI 2.0 comes along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks