What's new

Interesting Bryston Service Story.... (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Recently, I posted this over at avsforum and thought I would share it here. For anyone considering the purchase of a new amp, the following is food for thought!

I have two Bryston amps -- a 4B-ST and a 9B-ST. They were purchased new in 2001. In March of last year, one of the channels failed and I brought the amp to Bryston's service office in Toronto. It was repaired and I was on my way in less than 45 minutes. I had a different channel fail late last year and brought the amp in for service again a few weeks ago. Again, it was repaired and I was on my way in less than an hour. The very next day, the same channel that was originally repaired, failed yet again.

I sent an email to Bryston voicing my displeasure with the obvious problems I had been having with my 9B-ST and stated the 3 failures I had in less than a year were unacceptable. The next morning I received an email from Chris Russell (CEO of Bryston) and he agreed. He advised me to take my 9B-ST to the service office in Toronto and that he would exchange the amp for a brand new 9B-ST. I drove over the next afternoon and made the exchange.

While the repairs and failures have been rather frustrating, the level of service I have received from Bryston has been outstanding. And while I have only had the new 9B-ST hooked up for the last two weeks, so far all is well - again.

If there is anyone contemplating the purchase of a new amp and giving Bryston consideration, their level of service is exemplary. An amp is one of the few pieces that can be kept in our systems for a very long time. That said, the 20 year warranty should be factored in heavily, in making your decision.

BTW, there seemed to be some ambiguity as to the power rating of the new 9B-SST versus the 9B-ST. The new 9B-SST power rating is IDENTICAL @120 wpc. What has changed is some circuitry and the faceplate. I can't imagine the changes being overly significant.

Herb.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Herb,

That is great to hear. How does the 20 year warranty carry over to secondary owners? If I were to get one used and needed repair later, would I need any paperwork/receipt? Or would Bryston validate the "remaining" warranty by the serial number?

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
The Bryston warrantee is fully transferable. You don't need a sales receipt to get service. They go by the serial number. Truly, and exceptional company.

Martin.

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
I hope I get the same service. I just bought a used 9B-ST and one of my channels does not light up when I power it on? Will let you know first hand how Bryston handles this

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK, it's been decided: when I do upgrade from my 7.1 channel Acurus setup, it will be Bryston. :) (I've had really good luck with Acurus/Mondial customer service too, but every now and then change is good...)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Kevin... long time, no hear. Not so sure I would advocate change for the sake of change.... just thought I would share a story with anyone who might be considering a Bryston. I've read a few of your recent posts where you might be considering the Lexicon alternatives, remember, you'll fall short on the warranty end. To me, the savings wouldn't be worth it. And I say that as a huge Lex fan too -- owner of an MC-1.

Phillip... Keep us posted. I'm sure once your amp is returned, you'll be just as pleased. Out of curiosity, did it arrive in that condition...? Was the problem disclosed to you prior to purchase...?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Herb! :) It will be a while, I admit. HDTV-compatible TV, then a 7.1 THX Ultra2 and/or Logic 7 pre/pro is next on my list...

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

An HDTV would be awesome for DVDs.

Wouldn't hurt just to keep an eye open for great deals. I think last week, two NT212 (aka 3B-ST) both went for less than $600 on ebay! The 3B-STs still get $750-900.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Herb,

We spoke when you had your Cinema for sale, I'm in Whitby. Good to hear your story. I just picked up a used 4B-ST on Audiogon to power my ML reQuests. Waiting for it to arrive, tomorrow or the next day.

BTW I have also acquired the Cinema centre, in Dundas. Next step will be an amp for the centre and rears, probably a 9b-ST to support 7.1. But not for a little while, other projects on the go.

Larry

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Just wanted to update you on my 9B-ST that had one channel not powering up. I was going to ship the whole amp in and had sent an e-amil to James Tanner with a description of the problem. With his help, I was able to see that a couple of fuses were gone, replaced those and they still went. I then proceeded to just pull out the one channel that had the problem and ship it with James' help. Had the channel back in a few days and everything has been working great ever since. Now that's service!!!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Larry:

Good to hear from you. Congrats on the new 4B-ST, I'm sure you'll be quite pleased. Eventually I want to add a separate amp (perhaps the 7B mono) for the center channel (I still have the ML Theater). In fact, I've even kept a shelf rack open for it in the new HT.... we'll see.

It's been more than 3 months now with the new 9B-ST and it has been flawless. Thank goodness....

Herb.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I love to hear this stuff. I just picked up the line and plan on getting a couple pieces for my own system very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks