What's new

Installing auto off/on relay inside active speaker (1 Viewer)

okcorrell

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Hello,

I wanted to reach out for some help to some seasoned DIY audio people.

I have several 5" Monoprice powered monitors paired up with apple airport express' for a makeshift multi room system. It works perfectly as each book shelf speaker is independently powered for each small room, but they are always on, even while not in use.

I have another pair of AudioEngine book shelves used as the primary audio solution for my living room and those automatically shut off when not in use, which is an amazing feature. Is there anyway to install this signal sensing relay in these Monoprice monitors I have? Does anyone make this part that I can solder in or do I have to make it myself? I would prefer installing something inside the cabinet (DC) as it would be easier and more aesthetically appealing.

I have experience in basic wiring with access to soldering tools and I am more than happy to pop the cabinets open to install this circuitry myself or to give more detailed information about the hardware I am working with.

Any leads or recommendations in where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Aaron

okcorrell

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
I am not worried about the warranty at all and I want to install something inside to reduce the amount of external clutter.

Both of the proposed solutions require me turning the unit on. :( I am looking for soemthing that will automaticallky turn on when signal is given and automatically turn off after the signals stops.

That would void your warranty :)

Cheap option:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P2UMS0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000L9635G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y82RKJ30NYV772GMJHY

More plugs but more cost:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-SCG5-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B000L9FQUO/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1393433165&sr=1-3

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The second one says it automatically turns devices off, though I don't know how it determines a device is not in use; presumably when it drops to a "low power" standby mode. So if the speakers never go into a standby mode, it may not work either.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have you thought about attaching foot switches to these? I assume these are bedrooms, So the outlets are close to the floor rendering a "plug switch" inconvenient from a placement perspective. I find nothing automatic.They sell them, primarily, for lamps. But I doubt these things chew up too much power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks