What's new

Input on Sony LCD 50 inch RPTV (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
The TV listed in thread title is my leading candidate so far. It has great light output for a bright living room, great picture on normal TV programming (something most big screens fail miserably at) and has nice compact package.

I am wondering what drawbacks an LCD has over CRT RPTV's since I dont know much about the technology. What kind of life span do they have? I am not considering DLP as my frined has one and normal TV looks like crap. I was considering a Hitachi 51 inch but the cabinet is a bit on the large side.

Home Theater Magazine just had an big screen TV face off and this one came in third (second was a hitachi and first was a toshiba).

Randy Schwandt

Auditioning
Andrew,

I too am curious as to if this is a good buy. I do like the look of this model. Although I have yet to see normal television on this, that is my main concern.
Some issues that I am curious about is the bulb life, as well as ambient light. My wife really does not want a rptv, but I am trying to convince her that the LCD and DLP's are much thinner than traditional rptv's. Her uncle has a 51" that is 4/3 and about 30 inches deep and I just can't get her to forget that. SHe really wants a plasma to mount on the wall, but I am having a hard time spending close to $3500 for the 42" that I want when I can get a 50" rp LCD for $3200ish.

The more I read on this web site, the more I get confused

;)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

I hear you on that one. I really hope someone that has any knowledge of the Sony LCD chimes in.

If you can take a look at the HT magazine article it has good but limited info on the set. They say its the best TV in the face off for a typical living room situation, high light output and good imagine when sitting off axis.

As for your wife, I am sure she has lots of things that you dont like, she should compromise. Just because she doesnt like it means you cant have what you want. I am fortunate to have a wife that puts up with my hobby. Her feeling is its my money I am spending. Sorry to go off topic on that but it seems when it comes to HT the other half that doesnt even get into HT leads the decisions, not very fair.

Bill Briggs

Auditioning
Hello,

I just got the 60" model and absolutely love it. The picture is very good for standard TV, but it really floors you with DVD or HDTV signals. The bigger the TV, any TV, the worse it will look if you are using low resolution signals, such as standard cable TV.

It's not as thin as plasma. The 50" model is 17.8" deep, but not as deep as the old RPTVs either. The nice thing is that the 50" only weighs 83 pounds. Plasma has a life span of about 7 yrs due the gases used. These Sony's use a special bulb (part# XL-2000U) and currently sells for about $200+. According to Sony, it will last up to 8k hours before dimming and needing replacement. It all depends on your amount of usage. It is roughly 2 years of usage. I bought the extended warranty that will cover the bulb replacement and more if necessary. There is strong opinions in some circles that these TVs had a design flaw that caused buzzing and the bulbs to blow prematurely. From what I read, Sony or the company the person bought it from has came out to their homes to modify the set and replace the bulb under normal warranty service. I hear Sony started in January to build this new design fix into their Grand Wega line so hopefully this won't be a problem. I do recommend you check the back of the TV for the build month/yr and ensure you get a 2004 built model.

As I said, I love this TV as does everyone who has come to my house since I bought it. Turns out my 4-week wait (special order since Sony was having problems keeping up with demand) was worth it.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Thanks Bill.

The life span of the bulb is a little short for my liking as this TV will be on most of the time I am home. I am going to have to think hard about this.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 50" model in September, and have been very happy with it. I had lots of angst about the contrast level when I was deciding to buy it, but it hasn't been an issue since I've had it home. Black level and shadow detail are just fine. The HDTV picture is amazing, as are DVDs. Standard TV signals are a little blurrier than on my prior 36" WEGA, but very acceptable. I would recommend this set to anyone.

Tom Fynan

Randy Schwandt

Auditioning
Bill brings up a good point regarding the eliability of the GW series. I know there are a few posts either here or at AVSforum that are quite long regarding problems with this line. This has made me shy away a bit but.. When I look at plasma I get the same feeling.

Also, I have one question in particular regarding warranties on the bulbs. A lot of places that I know, only warrant the bulb for 90 days, is it true that Sony will replace these if I happen to get the extended warranty?

One more thing, is it smarter to buy from a brick and mortar or scour the internet for a better deal?

So many questions, so many options, and this is only the TV.

SteveAnd

Grip
I'd check the internet. Quite a few of the b&m stores have an internet presence as well, and their prices are usually very good compared with what you can get locally. I bought the 50" Panny from a b&m via the internet and couldn't be happier. Saved me about $700.00, which obviously made me happy.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
I had looked at that one before but now that I'm ready to buy I saw the XBR950 with built in HD tuner. How do you think tha compares? I know the 60" is going to run me a lot more but do you think it's worth it?

Bill Briggs

Auditioning
As for the warranty, I am not sure what an extended warranty covers if you actually can and do purchase it through Sony. I bout mine at Circuit City and it covers bulbs, as I think Sears' extended warranty does too. I normally don't buy extended warranties, but since this is a major, high dollar investment, I bent and bought it. Even if I only replace the bulb twice on the warranty, I practically get my monies worth...and of course if there is a catrosophic failure, I get it fixed or a new TV.

As for the value of the XBR? It is heavier, has a built in tuner, and a slightly better screen. I saw both in the same store and did not notice an actual picture difference worth close to the $2K price difference. I am planning on getting the HD TIVO unit in March so I didn't care about the built in tuner aspect. You can get a HD tuner for in the $200 range now. This is just my opinion. I would never knock those who bought the XBR model because I have owned a coule of Sony XBRs throughout the years and was completely satisfied. If money wasn't a big object for me, I would have probably bought the XBR too. I definately don't regret this purchase though and would buy it all over again if I could go back to Dec 20 when I ordered it.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I have also been looking closely at this. Though, it looks like I won't actually be able to purchase for a couple months.

I've been wondering about the dead pixel thing. That scares me since I've been told that will cost a lot to fix. So is that something I should be worried about? The thought of a couple blue dots just popping up on my $3500 TV that I can't do anything about scares me away a bit.

Bill Briggs

Auditioning
Hello Randy Schwandt - The original lamp in the TV is under warranty for 1 yr. If you order a replacement lamp (which is a different lamp than the original) from Sony, it is warrantied for only 90 days. I bought the extended warranty from Circuit City and it covers bulb replacements for the entire extended warranty period.

Lanny_B - From all my readings on people who own the GWIII, noticable pixel problems are extremely rare. Mine is flawless in all regards. I received it about a week ago and it is a January built model.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned a 42" GW III since later October and i'm thrilled with it. DVD's and Xbox games looks awesome and even normal tv looks good. I can't wait to get high-def in the coming months.

I am also happy to report that I have not had a single problem in the 3 months i've had it.

Danny

StevenFC

Second Unit
It's going to take me a while, but I'm going to save up to buy one of the Sony LCDs. I saw the 50 incher at Circuit City and the picture was nothing less than stunning. Absolutely amazing. Especially when compared to the other sets that were on display. But the price was the most stunning thing to me. I had no idea that you could buy an LCD for such a price. I would have thought anything with the tag "LCD" on it at this size would have been at least twice the price. I don't remember the model though. I'll write it down next time I'm there.

I'm not sure if I'll save up to get one of these LCDs or a Laptop computer first. At any rate, by the time I save up for one, they'll probably be cheaper and any design flaws would have been corrected by then.

Needless to say, barring disaster, or a better tv, I will be watching my DVDs on one of these in the not to distant future.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I had the Hitachi 50V500 for about a week and a half before I returned it (every flaw possible happened on this set), then I picked up a KF-50WE610, again, serious flaws with the set; returned it for yet another KF-50WE610, and I am totally happy with it.

I've had it for over a month and put in tons of hours watching movies, playing games, HD and SDTV; and jsut recently had it ISF'd (Lion A/V), and it looks great.

YES, there is lower Black Level detail than a RPTV (which has lower black level detail than a DVCRT), and some more expensive DLP sets have somewhat better Black Levels. I thought this was going to be a huuuuge problem, but it really isn't. I'd rather watch the Set in ambient light or even daytime than always have to watch it in a pitch black room.

It's a great set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks