What's new

INNERSPACE - Various Problems :-( (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Player: Sony DVP-S7700
Amplifyer: Yamaha DSPA1

I watched the new "Innerspace" DVD tonight. I've been waiting for this one since the format was launched. Imagine my disappointment when...

1. I discovered that the Dolby Digital 5.1 centre channel crackles whenever dialogue is spoken (I had to revert to Dolby Surround)

2. English subtitles default to "On" and I had to turn them off.

3. The copyright warning at the end of the film is in Japanese (what the hell?). Not a biggie this one but... well what happened?

I'm deeply disappointed with this disc (I bought it from Amazon.Com). Has anybody else seen it? Have you experienced similar problems? Will Gremlins 1&2 be the same?

John

UPDATE 09/07/02
I've just checked this disc on my PC. The subtitles remain off and the FBI warning at the end is in English. I can't judge the centre channel because my PC only has two speakers. So there would appear to be some sort of software conflict with my Sony DVD player (the first conflict of this type, why did it have to happen on this tremendous film?!) :-(

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Haven't actually watched the warning at the end to see if it's in Japanese, but my copy showed neither of the other problems - I think it's a solid disc. Dunno why you've had those concerns, but neither appear on all copies...

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Where did you buy it? From one of the infamous e-bay sellers?

Mine (from CDNOW) had none of those problems.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Sounds like the disc is dual-encoded for R3 and R1. I believe people have run into this problem on other Warner discs, including Empire of the Sun, and have gotten Japanese menus.
DJ

luke cav

Stunt Coordinator
No the Region 1 copy i picked up on saturday was fine, excellent dvd all round sound and picture wise.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
My R1 copy was fine too...I agree with all the reviews I've seen online in terms of the A/V quality. The video is near perfect for a non-blockbuster 80s film, and the 5.1 is adequate, although the rear channels dont do much in the film.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I bought the disc at Amazon.Com so I doubt it's a bootleg. I've sometimes heard slight cracks during dialogue on Warner discs - eg Superman Special Edition - but nothing as bad as this.

According to the Languages screen, there is a Japanese language/subtitle track so I assume this is why the Japanese screen exists - but why my player chose to flash it up is beyond me.

Do you think it's worth returning it to Amazon for a refund or replacement? I love this film!

John

Edwin_M

Agent
My copy also has the cracks on the 5.1 track. I'm going to return it Best Buy and try out another one. I'll let you know how it goes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i found this recent thread that someone in it says it is encoded for region 2.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Its coded for Regions 1,2,3 and 4.
Wow, what makes you think that? The box clearly has the Region 1 logo on the back! (bottom left)
Is it all the subtitles (Cantonese, English, French, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin/Taiwan, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai) that make you say that? WB has been doing that more and more lately. Is it REALLY meant for all those other regions on the same disc? That's freaking weird if true. Aren't these the guys who participated in the RCE scheme, and in fact who's participation brought the scheme to the public's attention? It seems funny that they'd relax normal regional coding now!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Nope, I have a little utility that reads the disc and tells me what regions its coded for, among other things.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Oh gee, a cost-cutting exercise? Who'd have thought it! It's not surprising that my disc has developed an identity crisis!

I'm kinda dreading the two Gremlins films now. Crackling dialogue, unpredictable subtitles and random language screens are hardly my idea of a special edition presentation :-(

I think the powers-that-be need to get their heads around DVD out before they go off on a tangent with D-VHS, HD-DVD, etc etc.

John

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Columbia has been doing the same thing (multi-region) for their older titles for a while- most are coded for regions 1, 3 and 4 even if they say region 1 on the cover (most of them have Portuguese and various Asian subtitles.) What is cool is if you have a region-switchable player, it will show different copyright warnings for the relevant countries instead of the FBI warning before the movie that it shows if set to region 1. I haven't gotten any of the Warner discs that do this yet.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
My guess is, they use the same disc for different regions, but have different packaging for each region.

Maybe this is just another player incompabitiliby thing, cause my version worked flawlessly on my Sony NC600B.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I am watching Innerspace right now, in 5.1, on an Apex 3201. No crackles, no subtitle problem, etc. Just a very funny favorite that I'm sharing with my teen. Picked up my copy at Best Buy this afternoon.

Played on an APEX 3201, watched on a Sony 35 inch trinitron, sound through JVC RX-6018 receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks