1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

INNERSPACE - Various Problems :-(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John H Ross, Jul 8, 2002.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Well-Known Member

Player: Sony DVP-S7700
    Amplifyer: Yamaha DSPA1

I watched the new "Innerspace" DVD tonight. I've been waiting for this one since the format was launched. Imagine my disappointment when...

1. I discovered that the Dolby Digital 5.1 centre channel crackles whenever dialogue is spoken (I had to revert to Dolby Surround)

2. English subtitles default to "On" and I had to turn them off.

3. The copyright warning at the end of the film is in Japanese (what the hell?). Not a biggie this one but... well what happened?

I'm deeply disappointed with this disc (I bought it from Amazon.Com). Has anybody else seen it? Have you experienced similar problems? Will Gremlins 1&2 be the same?

John

UPDATE 09/07/02
    I've just checked this disc on my PC. The subtitles remain off and the FBI warning at the end is in English. I can't judge the centre channel because my PC only has two speakers. So there would appear to be some sort of software conflict with my Sony DVD player (the first conflict of this type, why did it have to happen on this tremendous film?!) :-(

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

Haven't actually watched the warning at the end to see if it's in Japanese, but my copy showed neither of the other problems - I think it's a solid disc. Dunno why you've had those concerns, but neither appear on all copies...

3. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Well-Known Member

Where did you buy it? From one of the infamous e-bay sellers?

Mine (from CDNOW) had none of those problems.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Sounds like a bootleg to me.
    WB rarely has disc problems and they never put Japanese FBI warnings. [​IMG]

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

Just checked out of curiosity: no Japanese warnings at the end of the movie...

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Well-Known Member

Damin J. Toell
    Sounds like the disc is dual-encoded for R3 and R1. I believe people have run into this problem on other Warner discs, including Empire of the Sun, and have gotten Japanese menus.
    DJ

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Well-Known Member

Japan is R2 not R3.

8. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Well-Known Member

None of those problems on my Panasonic H1000. I didn't watch through the credits though.

9. luke cav

luke cav Well-Known Member

No the Region 1 copy i picked up on saturday was fine, excellent dvd all round sound and picture wise.

10. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Well-Known Member

My R1 copy was fine too...I agree with all the reviews I've seen online in terms of the A/V quality. The video is near perfect for a non-blockbuster 80s film, and the 5.1 is adequate, although the rear channels dont do much in the film.

11. John H Ross

I bought the disc at Amazon.Com so I doubt it's a bootleg. I've sometimes heard slight cracks during dialogue on Warner discs - eg Superman Special Edition - but nothing as bad as this.

According to the Languages screen, there is a Japanese language/subtitle track so I assume this is why the Japanese screen exists - but why my player chose to flash it up is beyond me.

Do you think it's worth returning it to Amazon for a refund or replacement? I love this film!

John

12. Edwin_M

Edwin_M Active Member

My copy also has the cracks on the 5.1 track. I'm going to return it Best Buy and try out another one. I'll let you know how it goes.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    i found this recent thread that someone in it says it is encoded for region 2.

14. Mark_Wilson

Its coded for Regions 1,2,3 and 4.

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Well-Known Member

16. Mark_Wilson

Nope, I have a little utility that reads the disc and tells me what regions its coded for, among other things.

17. John H Ross

Oh gee, a cost-cutting exercise? Who'd have thought it! It's not surprising that my disc has developed an identity crisis!

I'm kinda dreading the two Gremlins films now. Crackling dialogue, unpredictable subtitles and random language screens are hardly my idea of a special edition presentation :-(

I think the powers-that-be need to get their heads around DVD out before they go off on a tangent with D-VHS, HD-DVD, etc etc.

John

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

Columbia has been doing the same thing (multi-region) for their older titles for a while- most are coded for regions 1, 3 and 4 even if they say region 1 on the cover (most of them have Portuguese and various Asian subtitles.) What is cool is if you have a region-switchable player, it will show different copyright warnings for the relevant countries instead of the FBI warning before the movie that it shows if set to region 1. I haven't gotten any of the Warner discs that do this yet.

19. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Well-Known Member

My guess is, they use the same disc for different regions, but have different packaging for each region.

Maybe this is just another player incompabitiliby thing, cause my version worked flawlessly on my Sony NC600B.

20. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Well-Known Member

I am watching Innerspace right now, in 5.1, on an Apex 3201. No crackles, no subtitle problem, etc. Just a very funny favorite that I'm sharing with my teen. Picked up my copy at Best Buy this afternoon.

Played on an APEX 3201, watched on a Sony 35 inch trinitron, sound through JVC RX-6018 receiver.