What's new

initial help w/ setting crossovers on speakers (1 Viewer)

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
hi,

i have an onkyo ht-r500 that has only 3 crossover settings: 80, 100, and 120.

my speakers are a jlb nsp1-II system. these satellites seem bigger than i assumed. almost the size of bookshelves. i also have a polk psw303 subwoofer.

i plan on playing around w/ the settings, but where is a good place i can start w/.... maybe even something i can keep it at. set it at 80hz on the receiver and 100 on the sub? thanks.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Try everything. You have nothing to lose...

Even try running them large, Sub = LR+LFE. You never know what will sound good. But you may settle on 80 for the JBL's and 60ish for the sub...

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
if you're using the receiver's crossover, then the sub's crossover should either be bypassed altogether or set as high as possible.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

80Hz for the AV Receiver is a good start, but if you can, I concur w/ScottCHI recommendation and turn-off the Sub's x-over if you can. If your Polk sub does not have a off (bypass) switch for the x-over then, ... dial that knob to its MAX setting. Hopefully, that will keep it from interfering** with your Onkyo x-over.

**HT Magazine ('97-'98? by Brent Butterworh) proved that when the sub and AV Receiver x-over are operating close to each other, the sub frequency blend to the speakers were no-where near the ideal ±3.5 dB blend but in all cases it was -10.5 dB or more creating quite a frequency hole (dip)!!!

Phil

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys! im going to get an SPL meter some time this weekend and get things squared away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks