What's new

InFocus 4805 TVAuthority Q&A (1 Viewer)

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Darren

After you mentioned the video delay I started watching for it. Unfortunately, I have the same problem. It is very slight. So slight that I can't tell if there is a delay when some people are talking. If you wouldn't have posted about it I proabably wouldn't have noticed. Now it's going to bother me all the time, LOL, Thanks alot! I am going to mess with my reciever (Yamaha HTR-5590) and see if it has any delay settings. I've heard people talking about firmware for this projector. If I went to an older version, would it take care of the delay?

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Hey Frank, what Firmware is presently on yours?? To find out go into the about menu......it won't say "firmware" .....I think it says "software version". If it is 1.0.2. then it is the old one....if it says any other number it is the new version. If you have the old version DO NOT upgrade to the new one....it has some issues with it. Infocus has not come out with a new one yet. If you have the new one and want to switch.....send me a PM and I'll send you the link to get it......or I'll just post it here for other people to get......that probably makes more sence :).....

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Sorry about that :b

Ignorance can seriously be bliss sometimes.

I don't think that the older firmware will help. I haven't upgraded mine because of the issues with it, and it still has the problem. Also, if you have the newer firmware, I'm not sure it's possible to go back to an earlier version.

Right now, I'm just living without the Faroudja by feeding it a progressive signal. The delay is gone. Granted the image isn't going to be quite as good, but it's not bad. I just couldn't bring myself to upgrade my receiver already for audio delay.

I'm also trying to focus on the positive. Aspect ratio modes switch a lot faster w/o Faroudja, and I won't have to turn off audio delay when I feed it a progressive signal from my Gamecube. Plus, in 4x3 mode, the white line on the left is gone. I know I know, I'm still losing out on Faroudja, but I'm on a budget here.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
http://www.infocus.com//service/sof...ds/4805v102.exe

That is the link to the old firmware for the 4805 if anyone needs it. The "new" one is 1.1.3.......I would not use that one as it exhibits a lot of flickering in dark scenes. If anyone want the old firmware go to that link and follow the directions. If you have the "new" firmware you CAN install the old one with no problems.

terence

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,

over @ AVS there is an upgrade petition going on to fix the problem. Below is a quick update of events.

Can someone post a Cliff's Notes version of what has been going on to-date?

Specifically: what was fixed, new problem introduced, Infocus' official stance on moving forward, option to upgrade/downgrade firmware at home, etc.

The 4805 loses the signal when switching between standard def and high def forcing you to reach for the remote and hit "auto image" every time you change channels. The firmware upgrade they issued addressed that problem but causes a flickering, so most people are suffering the inconvenience rather than risk a flickering image. There are some other improvements but I don't recall what exactly they were. It's been a loooong time between fixes and InFocus is responsible for this.

I made an inquiry about the firmware to infocus. This is what they said:

"We are still working to address the flickering issue and hope to have it resolved some time in the near future, however we do not have an ETA for when this issue will be resolved."

-Ja Phule

Here is the link for the upgrade petition!

Here is the stats...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=38154

Here is the thread.

Feel free to sign.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Evan, that link didn't work properly for me so I had search on AVS. Just in case it's auto-truncated...

I upgraded the firmware but didn't notice a flickering problem. I'll have to look more closely now.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Guo, Yeah, I know, I tried it and for whatever reason it didn't work. I just copied and pasted it from AVS and it works there....not sure why it won't work here. I'll post the link form the thread page at avs and what number post it is when I get a chance. Normaly I don't lke to post another forum link but I think it is beneficial enough to do so......

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The URL in the quote section of my preceding post is functional (the two forward slashes are supposed to be there), so anyone can cut and paste. I popped in the Matrix and noticed an occasional flicker, so I rolled it back to 1.02.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've checked my software version twice now and everytime I get back to this post to tell you guys which one I have, I forget what the number was. :b . I am pretty sure it is the old one. I tried messing around with using progressive scan from my DVD player. I can barely tell the difference in picture quality between that and the 4805 processor. I have a Yamaha DVD player that cost $150, so I doubt the processor in it is better then the projector's. It sure is close though. I also watched the live Alice In Chains MTV Unplugged DVD while letting the projector do the processing and I couldn't see the delay. I don't know what's happening. I also stuck in DVE calibration Disc and checked it to the video/audio timing tool (a circle that beeps everytime the rotating hand hits the 12 o'clock position). That was so close that I couldn't see any delay either. I've decided that I am going to use the projector's processor for porgressive unless the delay starts to bother me again, then I'll try the DVD player's progressive. Maybe it's all in my head :D

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I have noticed a slight delay at times but to be honest I think it is either the DVD or the DVD player. I think this because during certain scenes of the movie (or "takes" actually) there is a delay....when the scene/take goes to a new one it is gone. Does this happen with you Frank? Maybe we notice more now because the screen is soooooo damn big now :). .......by the way....excellent choice on the Alice and Chains disk.....hard to believe they were big what seems like forever ago....they are even considered "old school" by some. I just turned 30 and it makes me feel ancient :frowning:.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,

AIC is one of my top five favorite bands of all time. Thier unplugged DVD is just awesome as far as picture quality and sound goes. I hear ya on feeling ancient too, I am right behind you. I'll turn 29 in a few months. :frowning:

I think you may be right about noticing a delay just because the screen is so big. I zoomed mine out to 102" diagonal last night. I see a tiny bit of screen door, but it looks so nice and it takes up most of my wall. I found it interesting while watching for a delay that a lot of scenes you can't really see the actors mouth or the scene is too jiggly to read thier mouths. Maybe it's done that way for a reason.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Does anyone have any relatively inexpensive mount recommendations for the 4805?

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I asked that same question a while ago (maybe even in this post). I ended up making my own mount similar to a guy on AVSforum.com who goes by the name of Monkeyman. It is basically a floor/pipe flange attached to the ceiling. Threaded into that is a pipe of your choice in length. The pipe is threaded to another pipe flange that is attached to a base. I made my base out of plywood, monkeyman made his out of plexiglass. I made my base in a triangular shape just big enough to extend to all three mounting holes in the projector. I drilled holes to line up with the projector mounting holes. Through that I ran long metric screws into the projector. Sandwhiched between the mount base and the projector are springs that allow you to adjust the height of each mounting point. It works great, has tons of adjustment, and only cost me $20. Do a search for monkeyman on avsforum.com and you should find his pictures and instructions. Let me know if you want any pictures. I can get some, but they won't be the best.

terence

Supporting Actor
****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****

Post (AVS) from Bob Willaims of Infocus regaurding the firmware request.

All,

I would like you to know that there will be a new version of ScreenPlay 4805 firmware posted soon on our web site. While there are important changes in this new version, it does not have a fix for the issue that has been reported here which involves momentary flashes that appear in the image at random intervals. Some have called this a flicker issue, but it is not related to and should not be confused with lamp flicker.

I want you all to understand that we have been working on fixing this issue since it was first reported to us months ago. There are teams both at InFocus and Texas Instruments working this and everyone is frustrated that we haven't been able to provide a production-worthy solution yet. Pending such solution, we have looked at every option available to us including writing an enhanced version of software based on the original software release, but those software libraries are incompatible with the enhanced functionality of the new releases.

We will continue to work on this issue and will try to provide a solution quickly.

InFocus does appreciate the contributions of this forum, and we try to monitor it on a regular basis. Although we don't post very often, we do listen to you.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well it finally happened, my 4805's bulb just blew. I was playing a videogame and there was an ear-splitting pop followed by a burning smell. Then 3 blinking red lights. Turning it back on and I can hear it trying to start up several times but nothing happens, then going to 1 blinking red light as described in the manual.

I think I had 2,400 - 2,700 hours on it, all in Low Power mode.

Here's a small video for more detail.

Do these things usually explode like this? I was hoping to have it last over 3,000 hours but oh well.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
May it rest in peace. How often did you clean the filter and such? That can have an impact on bulb life, as well as how often you turn it on and off.

So, the big question is...are you replacing the bulb? Or are you gonna upgrade? ;)

Robert Silge

Agent
I'm working on getting mine mounted soon. For future reference the DIY guide mentioned above is by monkey_man, searching monkeyman does you no good.

At any rate my question is on the throw distance. Using the calculator on projectorcentral.com it tells me that for a 16:9 screen that is 106" diagonal (which mine will be) that I need the projector 16.4 feet from the screen. No problem so far. My issue is that when I tell it I will be using the economy mode it's not too thrilled about that and says I should use a smaller screen or not use economy mode.

So long as I have good ambient light control is this really such an issue? I'm right on the border of where this message pops up. If my screen were 8" smaller I wouldn't get the message.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I spoke with Kin today and he was very helpful. I wanted to give everyone a head's up that the mail in rebate for the free 76 inch screen is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks