What's new

InFocus 4805 TVAuthority Q&A (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
So what's the best price/deal on the 4805 these days?
I have the X1 and am considering upgrading to the 4805.
How much do you think the X1 is going for, with about 600 hours on it? Thanks.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jim:

Give the guys at TV Authority a call. They will give you the best deal on this projector bar none. Tell them that you are a member of HTF when you call.

Parker

Robert Silge

Agent
Just got off the phone with Kin and ordered mine. Great great deal. Why you'd buy one of these elsewhere (especially if you value this forum) I can't imagine. There's also a $100 rebate from InFocus through the end of May on top of the great price TVA gives you.

My question now is to screens. I'll be ordering it after we move (wanted to buy the pj first, so I can get in on the rebate), and am looking at the model B Da-Lite screen. I was planning on getting the 92" 16:9 screen, is there any compelling reason to go for a surface other than matte white?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Robert:

I would give David a call at Carada too. He has some great screens that will work really well with the 4805 (several members have a Carada screen with their 4805) and you will probably even save yourself some money.

Jeff Crowder

Auditioning
While I'm waiting for my 4805 to arrive, I've put together a 92" x 52" screen. I don't expect to use the full size for living room movie viewing, but made it big enough for future expansion. I would like to maximize the size of of the projected image, but I only have aprx 10' from screen to wall. What I'm wondering is this... Can I project the image at a mirror on the wall behind me and reflect it onto the screen. I realize that I'd have to reverse the image, but in theory, it should add another 6-8 feet. I know that it will probably effect the quality of the image somewhat, but would the increase in image size out-weight the loss of quality? Anyone try this before? Comments??

James Phung

Second Unit
I've read reports of people being able to do this with the X1, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The throw and recommended seating distance is around the distances. Sitting at 10ft with as big as an image you're going to get, you're going to see a lot of screen door. I wouldn't want to go beyond an 80" diagonal screen at that seating distance.

Jeff Crowder

Auditioning
Yeah, it looks like I'm looking at a 65-77" diag from 10 feet, and a 103" diag minimum from the combined 16 feet. The SDE could get pretty major. Guess I better wait until I have it in hand before making any mods.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Have any of you guys bought a refurbished 4805?
The only thing I'm concerned about is the 90 day warranty, any opinions?
Kin, if you're out there, do you guys sell any 4805 refurbs?
Thanks.

Jeff Crowder

Auditioning
Just got mine today, so I haven't had much time to play with it before work. It's a refurb, but there's not a scratch on it. Bulb shows 0 hours. Hooked it up to DVD player (component & s-video), laptop, and X-box. All worked fantastic. Waiting for screen material to get the best display. So far, I'm very impressed and happy.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Not much really. You can have new for $600 minus $100 MIR. I'm looking for an inexpensive FP for my secondary set so if you decide to sell it I'm interested depending how much you're asking for. At $500 I'd rather wait a little while for 16:9 projectors to come down a little.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Surely you mean $600 for a refurb X1 or maybe an x1A?? I think it is next to impossible to find a REAL new x1 in the box.
I think 500$ for your X1 is a fair deal if you took good care of it and used proper shut-down techniques for the bulb and kepth the filters clean.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to report and let you know I received my 4805 from TV Authority yesterday. Once I opened it up, I hurried down stairs, set the projector on the coffee table and hooked it up. I shut all the mini blinds as good as I could. I still had some ambient light, but's it as good as it will get until I get some drapes (soon). I fired up the projector and cast an image of The Incredibles on my white wall. WOW! The image looked very good. I was happy. I upgraded from a 60" SD mits RPTV, so this is a huge upgrade. After my wife came home I showed her the same thing. She was a little skeptical about this whole upgrade deal, but all the doubts were washed away as soon she saw the picture. The wife likes it! Bonus!! I then waited until dark to try anymore movies. Once the night set in I crept down to the basement again, this time I fired up Lord of the Rings. Holy Schnikes!!! A little bit of light makes a big difference. The picture was good before, but now it was fabulous. The picture has far exceeded my expectations. It looks great and I haven't calibrated it or used a good screen, so I'm sure it will get better. I did receive some samples from Carada yesterday too (good timing). I held those up and it made a definite improvement. Did I tell you I was happy?? :emoji_thumbsup:

I want to close by saying thanks to this forum for directing me to some great products (Infocus, Paradigm, Yamaha, & SVS). It's hard to tell what I would of wasted my cash on if I didn't get to feed on all the knowledge on this webpage.

I also want to say thanks to Kin at TV Authority for the great deal on the projector!! :emoji_thumbsup:

adrian.M

Auditioning
I want to know how this projector deal with Xbox gaming and how good the xbox360 will be?.

The one thing that is holding me to buy this, are the DLP airtifacts, not so much by the rainbow, but the temporal diethiring is really scary.. I never saw this , but from the description it sounds really bad.

On real life, how bad this airtifact is, specially when playing games?

i read that if u sit x2 from he screen, you won´t even notice, is this true?

thanks

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

This is the first I've heard of "temporal dithering." What is it exactly? I have no complaints about using the XBox with the 4805 and have never seen a post to state otherwise.

adrian.M

Auditioning
well, this is indeed great news! if you don´t know what i´m talking about, then there is no reason to worry about.

Basically the it happen on fast scenes or movements, it looks like little dots on the graphics, when you pass by.

Is the "motion Blur" of the LCDs, both have this, but on LCD is like Bluring image, while on DLP is more like little dots around the edges.

anyways, it sounds worst than it is, from what i´m seeing now.

Did anyone tried games like SC, Ghost recon, or those who are really dark, did you noticed any anoying airtifacts on those? or even fast games, like racing, games FPS, etc?

Robert Silge

Agent
So I got mine today. Won't move to the new house and new HT for a couple of weeks, but I set it up to get a basic understanding and make sure it works. Looks great (couldn't help but watch Star Wars on a white sheet), but I had a simple question.

Is there anything I need to do to get it to upconvert interlaced input? I don't think there is, in fact I think any of that is handled automatically and I just tell the source to broadcast in 480p if it can or leave it alone if it can't, but I thought I'd ask.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
DCDi will kick in automatically when it gets an interlaced signal. Generally you'll get better PQ with the projector doing the deinterlacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks