What's new

InFocus 4805 TVAuthority Q&A (1 Viewer)

DanThomas

Agent
Another thing: I was wondering if there's someone who has the 4805 and lives somewhere relatively near Disneyland (I work at Disneyland) who would be willing to show off their system to me? If so, send me a private message and we can swap contact info. Thanks!

MikeySmith

Grip
Oh, I should say what for.. I want the lumens to be high enough that I can watch in normal light and maybe with some sunlight coming in the room.

RussPang

Auditioning
I just bought my 4805 for my bedroom. My wife and I watch mainly in the room and I replaced my Mitsubishi 42" HDTV set which was at about a 10' viewing distance from the bed.

I remodelled the room to accomodate the projector and it is now only showing on a bare drywall wall with drywall mud still showing on the nail holes and seams. The wall is about 16 feet from our heads when in bed and I have approx. 105" viewing area with the projector mounted from the ceiling above our heads.

I have to say, the picture quality is awesome even though it's got drywall mud spots showing in the light scenes. We have one large window but I have a blackout shade that makes the room pretty dim during the day.

I am extremely impressed with the look now, my cable HDTV channels really pop. I can't imagine how much better it will look when I put up a screen.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
MikeySmith, You may not want to go the projector route if your plan is to have sunlight coming into the room. The brightness of a projector is one thing........the quality contrast you get is another thing. To give you an idea of what I mean.......Take a screen or whatever you plan to be projecting the image on and look at it in the room and comditions you plan to view it in. That will be the "black" you will get from a digital projector. Digital projectors do not project black. That is why you need a dark room. If you don't think deep black is a big deal then think of the colors that have black in them ie, maroon, gray, dark greens, navy blue, brown etc.....all of these colors will wash out and look quite bad in a bright room. You can have a 5000 lumen projector but you are still going to get lousy looking black and black shades.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

Unless of course you buy a black screen, but those are relatively new and quite pricey (set you back a few thousand bucks). Advantage though is you can have ambient light and you'll still get an amazing image.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
LOL!! Very true Darren.........I just figured it would be safe to assume someone looking at purchasing the "inexpensive" 4805 would not even dream about buying a screen for thousands. I agree though, those screen are very nice. I have not personaly seen one in action but have heard some reviews from REAL buyers (not paid reviewers) that they do reflect a wonderful image.

Joe^M

Auditioning
I’ll keep it short and sweet.

1. I have 4805, love it. I use component cables.
2. I just bought a Samsung 941 with HDMI interface. I bought a 30’ cable HDMI to DVI.
3. I realized I needed an M1-DA to DVI adapter; bought one.
4. Hooked it all up, nothing
5. Samsung states once HDMI is plugged in it auto-selects it as DVD play interface
6. Checked DVD menu, HDMI not selected and won’t let me select it manually
7. Decided might be cable, took short cable that came with Samsung and plugged direct to 4805 (with M1-DA to DVI adapter of course)
8. Still nothing
9. Plugged laptop into 4805 with Infocus supplied cable, it worked (had to be sure DVI connector on 4805 was working)

I’m stumped. Does the 4805 accept DVD signal through DVI connector? Or am I just a plain idiot… hee hee

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My Bravo D1 DVD player using DVI works fine with the 4805. I would suspect it's the player's output settings.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Not sure if this would work but go into the "source" section on your 4805's menu. Make sure that the proper source is selected. When I first got my 4805 I couldn't figure out twhy the heck it wouldn't work. I then went into the source sction and figured what the heck and I selected ALL of the video sections to component since that was the cable I was using. Not sure what the selection would be for the DVI but go into the source section and change all video options to whichever selection you feel appropriate. Good luck

Jessee

Auditioning
Not sure if your issue could be the same with the HDMI interface, but I know of this problem with Samsung and DVI:

This is a known issue with the Samsung. There is no auto sensing feature for DVI. You'll need to access the DVD player using composite, component, something like that first. Go into the menu, and switch it to DVI. It will switch and you will lose video. You will then have 10 seconds to insert a working DVI cable with a signal passing through it, or else the DVD player will just revert back to Composite or whatever. After it is set to DVI everything should work fine.

Joe^M

Auditioning
The problem is is that the menu on the Samsung SHOWS DVI but it isn't SELECTABLE. Apparently if it does not detect a DVI connection then it won't let you select it.

I'm beginning to lose interest in the 4805/DVI effort.

Joe

James Wis

Auditioning
I have my 4805 hooked to a Samsung 160 hd sat receiver with M1 to DVI and could not get it hook with the 4805.
The reason was you have to hook the damn thing up with component or S video to get in the menu then select the DVI then rehook everything back up with the DVI and it worked.Don't know if its the same with their DVD players but its worth a try.

Joe^M

Auditioning
Yeah, I tried that with component, s-vid and composite plugs; doesn't matter. The HDMI/DVI selection is dimmed and not selectable.

Joe

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I tried adjusting my keystone correction the other day and it didn't manipulate the image at all. What gives?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Do you have "overscan" turned on? If you do it will hide the edges so you can't see any effect until you hit 80-90 and then it will just clip the corners. I think you have to be displaying something on screen too, not just the blank screen.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve. I didn't have my overscan turned on, but I was trying to adjust the keystone with a blank screen. It works now.

DanThomas

Agent
I just bought a 4805, and I love it. I have a question about ceiling mounting and the remote control: When I mount the projector on the ceiling, is there going to be a problem with getting it to respond to the remote? The projector will probably be right over my head. If I point the remote straight up, will the projector receive the remote signal OK? Where on the projector is the sensor for the remote?

Any insight will be appreciated!

-Dan

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Dan, you can just point the signal at the wall. It mentions that in the instruction manual I believe. The signal just seems to bounce off the wall and back to the projector, no problem. Enjoy the projector, I love mine!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
IR signals tend to bounce off surfaces well (it is just a frequency of light after all) and so the majority of projectors function this way with the IR sensor on the front of the projector so it will pick up the reflection from the screen. I've even been able to control DVD players this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks