1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive 12 gauge speaker wire and banana plugs in Toronto area?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris PC, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What is some inexpensive 12 gauge speaker wire and banana plugs in the Toronto area? Axiom is the least expensive of the "speaker wire" from someone in the audio business at $0.85/foot. I know a wiring store that sells 12 gauge for $0.50/foot.

I also need banana plugs good for bi-wiring and not too expensive. Radio Shack doesn't have anything useful or cheap enough. I need 10 banana plugs for now.

2. Rick CH

Rick CH Agent

The best value in good banana plugs I've seen in Toronto were at Supremetronics and Active Surplus on Queen St. W.
    I don't remember the price I paid for the banana plugs I bought at Supremetronics, but they were about half the price of comparable plugs I've seen at Futureshop and Radio Shack.
    I think both stores sell speaker wire as well.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Supermetronics is on Queen St. W also? I guess both may also sell speaker wire?

I also need the banana plugs to accept two wires, as I have my two front speakers bi-wired.

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Can't you get a cheap bundle from Ebay? I think you could get a 300' or 500' spool for like close to $.25/ft shipped. Bananas can also be found there but they're always kind of expensive.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I got some 12 gauge wire for $0.54/foot. It looks boring but its 12 gauge wire.

Now I just need some good banana plugs that aren't too expensive.

Just wondering if there is anywhere in the Durham region or Scarborough which sells good locking or set-screw banana plugs that will accept two 12 gauge wires, as I need to bi-wire on the receiver end.

6. Rick CH

Rick CH Agent

Yep, Supremetronics and Active Surplus are pretty close to each other on Queen St. W. They're both a bit west of John St (where CityTV's located).

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I need banana plugs that use a set screw and are re-usable. I prefer no solding or crimping.

8. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

You should go to Home Depot on Highway 2... speaker wire by the roll.. and some parts you may not expect. For nice and cheap bananas... I recommend the Vampires from Take Five Audio.. for 13 bucks a pair they are nice (they are in southern Ontario... and Take Five is very prompt with the shipping...).

M.

9. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I got a few sets of Ultralink banana plugs from Kromer Radio. I can't remember how much I paid, but it was reasonable. They accomodate 12 guage, and are gold-plated screw-type.

10. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

I am using 12 guage wire I got from Radioshack. Found it was better than DH Labs T-14 speaker cable (IMS,IMHO). I got some set screw banana plugs from (gasp!) Future Shop. Don't remember the price but if you factor in the cost of gas to drive somewhere to save a few bucks, it's probably a wash.

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Screenwriter

Heck, almost any other banana plug would seem cheap when compared to the $19.99 (US $$) set of 4 Monster Cable banana plugs.

12. Rick CH

Rick CH Agent

My vague recollection of prices at the stores on Queen West were that the basic solder-type bananas were under $2 each, decent set-screw plugs were between $2 and $3, and the best plugs with set screw and a slug (so the screw presses a floating slug of metal into the wire) were $3-$4 each. Again, these are vague recollections but I'm sure they're not very far off.

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

If your receiver has standard binding posts, you could use one set of spade connectors and one set of banana plugs for each output conector to accomodate your bi-wiring. You're probably going to have a hard time finding banana plugs that will take 2 12 guage wires, so this is a pretty simply solution.

14. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Great suggestion, Johnny! Alternatively Chris, you could also use "stackable" dual banana plugs, but I think I like Johnny's idea a bit better. Cheers.

DS.

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I was going back and forth and was going to go back and get some deltrons again from Whitby, but I dropped into a store in Ajax called Sound Design, they deal mostly with Yamaha and Pioneer, and I picked up the Ultralink Dual Banana banana plugs. The deltrons were $5.00 each for an individual banana plug and the Ultralink Dual Banana plugs were given to me for a deal at $15.00 for four (two pairs of dual plugs). Plus, although the deltrons did have strain relief via crimping, which the Ultralink do not, the crimped part easily broke on one of my connections anyways.

Now that I look at the Ultralink closer, I'm not 100% sure I like the way they work. ChrisAG, the Ultralink banana plugs I got are model number PRO-GDB/2P, does that ring a bell? They have a screw in the back. It just doesn't seem as though the wire will get as much contact as I'd like, as one of the contact surfaces is the face of the screw. It'll be easy to modify, I'll just stick a small peice of metal between the screw and the wire, and yes, they will accept two sets of 12 gauge wire. With a peice of metal in there, I'll have more surface area contact between the wire and the banana plug. They are stackable (but thats going to stick out way too far and require more plugs, also, thats not a good idea anyways).

Now I have to decide whether to stick with cheap $0.50 wire I got from the wire store or get some wire from Sound Design. Axiom's wire is $1.10 a foot. Whitby had wire for $1.00 a foot. I think Sound Design has nice looking wire for $1.00 a foot but may sell it to me for less. I don't imagine the wire is any better, but the cheap wire does have rather poor looking insulation. I'll check it out tomorrow.

John,

Thanx for the idea about the spade plugs. I will try that if I need a better way to do this.

[​IMG]

16. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey Chris,

FWIW, I bought 100' of the Axiom wire along with my QS-8s in March from a joint on College St. called Number 1 Audio. Never heard of 'em before, but they took good care of me, even though it took a couple of weeks to get my order fom the manufacturer to the store (no sweat, 'tho; they didn't try to BS me over the phone, and I wound up making only one trip to the store, which was the way I wanted it, of course). The dealer stated that Axiom was hesitant to ship the wire to him (apparently an internet-only item; whatever), but they did so anyway. Total cost of the spool was $95CDN, tax in, and it's a real dream to work with this wire; a completely flexible, fine-strand affair (of course, I'm used to doing battle with the inexpensive, but brick-hard and unyielding Home Depot 12 ga.).
    Say, when are you comin' over with the SPL meter to help me tame the Hsu? I'm buying one of these on Monday to ease the rattling of the rest of the house.
    Cheers.

DS.

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I may check into the Axiom wire but there's another guy at the Sound Centre place in Ajax and the wire looks good. Should be able to get it for less than $1.00/foot.

18. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Sound Centre in Ajax. $34.95 tax included for 50 feet of (use serious advertising voice) "Intensifier Audio Performance Cable". Ooo. Sounds fancy eh? Well, actually its just 12 gauge, actually has three sets of copper strands inside, nice white flexible insulation with indication of polarity. Does the trick for me. $0.72 a foot including tax. Can't beat that.

19. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Hi ChrisPC,

Sorry I don't know the model number of the Ultralink plugs. However, I remember that the top of the screw section is cone-shaped, with a matching mating surface on the female piece. When you run the bare wire through the top of the screw section and then splay it around the edge evenly, it should provide a contact surface as large as the wire bundle itself.

Hope that wasn't confusing, or maybe I'm missing something with your idea. I'm not sure why adding a wire would benefit.

20. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Look here:

http://www.ultralinkcables.com/produ...?category=ad00

Down near the bottom, mine are PRO-GDB-2P.

Which ones are yours?

I'm just not entirely sure I like the connection with just screwing down the fastener. If you look at the picture you can see it, but not well. The back is the end of the screw part. It screws down and the screw is visible in the hole on the end close to the banana end. It just doesn't look like there's a huge amount of contact being made there. The only upper surface is the head of the screw. I guess with the wire in there, I'm sure its not too bad, as the head of the screw is at least as big as the wire itself, in terms of both cross-sections. I don't know, but I'll give it a try.