What's new

Indy Jones available as Box-Set ONLY?!? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Indeed there will be a fourth, and as Jeff said, it will be starting production soon. I think Ford still has one in him, and the script is by Frank Darabont, so for that alone I am hyped. Darabont says that Nazis will not be the villains and that it will be in a different period than the previous films, which I suppose is elementary based on the aging actors.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Sven, hate to tell you, it starts shooting in the fall
I've heard that one every other year since 1989 - I'll believe it when they actually start shooting.
The best rumour I've heard was when they were planning to have Kevin Costner play Indy's younger brother.
They had a 'great script' back then and they were also just about to start shooting. :D

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunate (for me) if true. I'll wait for individual releases one day, or the possibility of the blockbuster/Ebay route on "Raiders". Just have no plans to ever view the other two again. Once theatrically was enough.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's a particularly underhanded bit of misdirection there, Mark. There's a huge difference, and you know it.
Why? Pan & Scan is a "Choice" and yet there are TONS of people here who don't want it as a "Choice". So why is it wrong to not want a "Choice" on buying them separately?

Chuck thought it was strange that people didn't want to give him a choice and I gave an example why choices are not always a good thing. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean it's unfair...Some could argue that not offering Pan & Scan is unfair.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Your reasoning is flawed.

It's a choice whether you want to kill someone for revenge.
It's also a choice whether you want to buy twinkies at the grocery store.

Just because both of these are choices, does not make them equally valid.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Given a choice of a box set or releasing the movies one at a time I'd definitely rather have the box set.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I'm also buying the box, but it's the principal of it. Give us a choice. When the remastered IJ films were released in '99 I bought the widescreen VHS (yes VHS only cause no DVD, never got into laser) individually because it was actually cheaper than the box!!

No one should be 'forced' to buy a box set when they only want 1 or 2 of the three films or else do without. Give the consumer the choice of 'one or all', not 'all or none'.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'll definately buy the boxed set. I love the first movie and find the other two enjoyable as well.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I think I'm in the minority when I say I actually enjoyed all three films.
Well, I am a part of that minority. If Paramount does as good a job with Indiana Jones as they did with the Godfather then we are in for a treat. The only thing that I could have wanted was a good commentary track but that is an issue with Spielberg.

I am sure that once Paramount has sucked in all the money possible from a box only set then we shall see individual releases.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Trouble is, Paramount/Zoetrope did not do a great job with the transfers of The Godfather Trilogy (I think Robert Harris said he'd like a crack at them; is my memory correct?)

It does sound like Lucasfilm and Spielberg want to fully restore the Indy Trilogy and only correct certain defects in the original optical processes and wipe out any in-plain-view wires and protective glass reflections (like Indy and the cobra in RotLA). Supposedly, there will not be CGI f*ck ups like Star Wars and E.T.

I just hope they'll include great DTS soundtracks since Spielberg directed them.

Dan

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
If individual releases meant waiting longer for the entire trilogy, I'll take the box-set anyday! All 3 films are great and deserve to be in any collection. I've paid $250 for the Star Wars Trilogy on LD TWICE, and I would pay $100 in a heartbeat for this set! Hell, I'd pay $500 if I could get one right now! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I won't debate the merits of the three films. In the years since I've known people who didn't like one or more of the films. I won't tell them why they should enjoy a film they didn't, just as I don't want someone telling me what I should think.

That said, I just want these DVDs out. If it's a box set only, well I hate to tell everyone, but DVD release strategy is not a democracy. If you truly hate one of the movies so much that you can't envision buying the box set even if it means missing out on the movie you do love, then you can try and vote w/ your wallets, but based on the reaction most people have, I think Paramount won't really miss you all that much.

Do I agree with this strategy? No. But all I want is these movies out and for me to buy. I'm not on Paramount's board of directors so I don't get a say, but I'd rather have them out than not. If Lucasfilm releases Star Wars Original Trilogy in Box Set only, I also won't complain (though I'm sure there will be people who will hate buying Return of the Jedi in order to get Empire Strikes Back).

Do we have a choice? Sure: yes or no. Do we have as much choice as we would like? No - it's all or nothing. But at least the movies will be out, which is a hell of a lot better than where we are now, where we can't buy these films no matter how much we want to.

Bring on the Box!

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I hear you guys. But I would rather spend $19.99 for a nice 2-disc set on sale for both Raiders and Last Crusade, then say $100.00 for some box set. Why can't they just release them separately, and have a box set for the diehard fans? More money in their pockets.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

I truly fail to see how that is "more money in there pockets." One, their production costs would be higher for separate releases and two, under your scenario, they just lost $60 (because you didn't buy the box set).

More people than not will buy the box set than choose not to buy because they really only want one. There will only be a few members of the buying public ( and most of them will belong to this forum) who will make the stand of "No individual release, No Sale").

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I bet Disney sold a hell of a lot more Toy Story 1 & 2 sets than they did of the Ultimate Box set. It would be the same here if people were offered a choice.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Bad analogy

Ultimate Toy Box Set was specifically designed and created for a different target audience than the movies alone. Adults and Animation Collectors vs. children.

Here, then movies are all being targeted to the same "mass audience". The Indy Box Set is not anything significantly different, it is just the bulk packaging of three movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks