What's new

Indy Jones available as Box-Set ONLY?!? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I love Lucas' films (esp. Star Wars series) and think Lucas is a creative genius too.

However, in my opinion, he was much better when he was limited by technology.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
What's hyporcritical and quite funny is that those who hate Lucas usually love his films.
POLITICAL COMMENT REMOVED BY OWNER - DO NOT REPOST

Oops, did I get off-topic? ;)

Yeah, I am always dismayed at the level of Lucas bashing.

Let's look at the Star Wars franchise shall we?

Lucas writes, creates, and owns the Star Wars Universe, however at the time of initial release, his vision as to what the Univerese wasa fully like, the technology to put that Universe on film did not exist at the time. So 15 years later, when the technology did exist, he goes back to "experiment" to what he could accomplish with the new technology. And he releases these new pieces of work in what we all know as the 1997 Special Editions. Some fans, old and new, enjoy these new versions, while some annal ;) fans cry that their (as if they were part-owners) original versions have been butchered or what is it they say? "revised"?

Now fast forward to 1999, when Lucas releases Episode I which brings in some new revelations into the story and new advances in film-making techniques. Lucas thinks, "Hmm, now that the technology is here, after I finish Episode III, perhaps I can go back and finish my original films to the way I originally envisioned them. Yes, some fans are probably going to scream bloody murder and start an on-line petition to get the old original '77, '80, '83 versions released on DVD, but they're my films and I can modify them any way I see fit to fit my story as was originally intended."

So I ask you all, how is Lucas' desire to go back and revamp and create all new "Ultimate Editions" of his original Trilogy different than say Picasso wanting to go back years later to alter his work when some new breakthru in paint brushes comes about? Or as Picasso might say, "Damn, I really wish I had a super-duper brush to do this one certain kind of effect on my painting here, but perhaps if I wait a few moee years, maybe that super-duper brush will come out."

But of course, this is only my opinion. I could be wrong. ;)

And thank you for your support....and patience.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Well said! They are Lucas films, and he can do as he wishes with them. All of the whiners can chose not to buy them, and I am sure he will be very upset by all the business he will lose...

Now if someone wants a legitimate reason to complain, complain about the horrible child actors in the prequals, Jake Lloyd was pretty bad, but nothing could make up for the painful little Boba Fett...

As for short round, well I like that character, and think that kid was a fine actor. Wonder what ever happened to him?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Whatever happened to Short Round in the movies? They should bring him back for Indy 4 along with Sallah and Captain Katanga. ;)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Too be fair, I only like, never have LOVED the Star Wars films. They're okay popcorn fantasy flicks (not how I don't say Sci-Fi), and that's all.

And while I'm sorry a lot of you don't like that I don't think Lucas is very creative, but I stand by my statement.

However, I do think that films should be seen as a collaborative medium. I don't even see ONE sole person responsible for a film, its many grips, actors, production assistants, and well, hundreds of other people who make a film what it is. I've never subscribed to the Auteur theory, never will. Sure Lucas thought up all these idea, but so many others helped him create, refine, and realize his dream. They should have just as much say... I think.

Again, I'm sorry to have pissed so many of you off. However, they're just movies.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
but so many others helped him create, refine, and realize his dream.
Paul,

Exactly who helped Lucas create, refine, and realize his dream? I would like to know who these individuals are and just how much they did contribute. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about this.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Sigh...

Lets look at Empire as its the fan favorite, the initial story treatment was done by Lucas, the screenplays were written by two people, Leigh Brackett, who died of cancer after writing the first draft, and Lawrence Kasdan (Mumford, Dreamweaver). The Film itself was directed by Irvin Kershner.

Last time I checked, a cinematographer helps compose the scenes in a film, this was done with the help of Peter Suschitzky. Lucas certainly didn't sketch out all the sets, costumes, and the rest of the production by himself, those were done with the help of Norman Reynolds, Michael Ford, and John Mollo respectively. And don't even deny that they just simply put down what Lucas had in his head, no one person has every meticulous detail figured out in his head. In films some always helps the director (or in this case producer) "realize" it onto paper, onto film, etc.

Must I really go on Dave? Do you not know what credits are for? They CREDIT other who worked on a film. Are you denying their input had anything to do with the success, look, and overall impact of the film, or films for that matter?

If you want to know WHO ELSE helped Lucas, please go to IMDB, they list these sorta things.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well said, Paul, but as a big admirer of Lawrence Kasdan's, I think you sold him short a little. In addition to Mumford and Dreamcatcher, he wrote, co-wrote and/or directed Raiders of the Lost Ark, Body Heat, Return of the Jedi, The Big Chill, Silverado, The Accidental Tourist and Wyatt Earp (plus a few weaker ones I strategically omitted).

Please continue your Indy vs. Star Wars debate. :D

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Thanks Scott. And my bad for Kasdan. I was too busy trying to put together my list, I grabbed his most recent films. However, I loved Mumford, and his work on Raiders.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
No prob. It's like seeing

"Director John Carpenter (Village of the Damned, Ghosts of New York) is a well-known filmmaker..."

;)

Although I agree with you on Mumford; a very low-key and likeable movie.

And to get us back on track with this thread:

If Lucas and Spielberg have a huge disagreement regarding something related to the Indy flicks, who has the LAST word?

And how much would you pay to see THAT argument?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
If Lucas and Spielberg have a huge disagreement regarding something related to the Indy flicks, who has the LAST word?
And how much would you pay to see THAT argument?
Well they already had an arguement, Lucas wants Indy 4 to be all digital, while Spielberg wants to use film, not sure who's gonna win that one, probably Spielberg. But considering how old Harrison Ford will be when shooting starts, Dr.Jones will be 50% cgi anyway, Spiderman was nearly all cgi, Tobey Maguire was barely on screen AS Spiderman, same thing will prob happen to Harrison Ford, its an action film, full of dangerous stunts that will now be cgi'd, all the elaborate sets will be probably be cgi too, the effects cgi, so Lucas maybe right in wanting the film to be completely digital.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Must I really go on Dave? Do you not know what credits are for? They CREDIT other who worked on a film. Are you denying their input had anything to do with the success, look, and overall impact of the film, or films for that matter?
I can see you don't like to be questioned. To answer your condescending question - YES - I know what credits are for. But, you already implied Lucas had everything to do with A New Hope - which clearly established the foundation of the Star Wars universe on film. The fundamental characters from Star Wars were in Empire (Lando, Feet, and Yoda were added, of course) which were, in fact, created by Lucas. Empire was just the next part of the "story." How could Lucas not be credited just for THIS basis. In other words, Empire couldn't have existed without A New Hope. Your statement of "We really shouldn't credit Lucas for MAKING any films except A New Hope and these horrible new prequels. " is absolutely incorrect. Every movie has a director. Every movie has a writer. Every movie has a producer. They are often different people. So what? To make the claim or implication that Lucas shouldn't be credited - or isn't the PRIMARY factor for Empire still has not been shown on your part and just because there were different directors, producers, etc. doesn't mean he still shouldn't be given the most credit. As I asked in my last thread: provide for me what aspects of Empire and Jedi that Lucas had nothing to do with. Having a different director or producer, etc. doesn't mean HE had nothing to do with Empire.

As far as Raiders of the Lost Ark...

It was Lucas' concept and is a Lucasfilm. Lucas has explained many times where the concept sprung from - and Spielberg did give some input (besides being director). I would agree that Lucas' influence was not to the same degree with Raiders as it was with the Star Wars films.

Finally, I never said no one else should be credited - obviously other people helped to some degree. Reynolds, Kershner, etc. are talented people. But to continuously imply Lucas had nothing to do with Empire and how it was mostly the result of others is erroneous. Lucas was and is the father of Star Wars. He is the primary factor and deserves the most credit - something he has very rightfully been given by most people. It's obvious you are a "Lucas hater" --- which is fine. But, don't let your emotions interfere with the facts.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
It's obvious you are a "Lucas hater" --- which is fine.
Dave, I could spend hours going into this. But this thread is not the place. I've already done enough damage to it, I'm sorry, let's move on.

You're right, I don't like to be questioned... however, rather then piss each other off, lets just shake hands (figuratively) and agree it's only a film. There are far worse things to be concerned about.

To the forum, sorry for taking this out of hand. I will keep my comments to myself from now on.

Let's move on.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I will keep my comments to myself from now on.
Ah, the Raiders release was beat to death anyway... LOL :D

Besides, if everyone kept their comments to themselves, there wouldn't be a lot of input on here...;)

Suggestion...

Next time start a new thread, and link to it in the existing one...

Something like...

"Who's da King and Who's a Biatch? Speilberg or Lucas, Both or Nada?"

(should get some input) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks