What's new

Indiana Jones 1-3 playing in HD (1 Viewer)

stevenoll

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Noll
Anyone watching Sci-Fi Channel's airing of Raiders and Temple of Doom? Looks like high def to me. Doesn't compare to Blu-Ray, but looks like typical DirecTV HD. Some maybe high def DVDs are closer than we think.

Steve

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Obviously, these films are ready for HDM releases whenever Spielberg and Lucas are ready to release them.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think they have 1080P masters from Lowry which they make the DVDs from.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
Of course they have HD masters of these.

HD release can't be too far off; they're already trying to cash in on a double dip of the DVD set.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
USA-HD ran them last weekend as well. They looked like the same transfers, pretty good. I must say, however, that I recently rewatched the original SD trilogy and was surprised at how good they looked on my 46" Toshiba.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I've watched most of Last Crusade, and bits of the other 2, and I think they look better on Sci-Fi than the DVDs do (upscaled) on Toshiba HD-A2.

In fact, we chose to watch the sci-fi HD version of Last Crusade rather than the upscaled DVD.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Did anyone catch the "documentary" last night on the History Channel about the influence of Indiana Jones on true archeologists?

The reason I am bringing it up in this thread is that for some reason all the clips they showed of all 4 movies looked even better in this show than the Sci-Fi HD movies. It seems weird that the clips would look better than the actually HD movie, but they did to me.

Granted the clips were all 16x9 so filled the entire screen. maybe that is why it looked better. LOLOLOLOL

This stuck in my mind because just before watching the History channel show, I was watching temple of Doom on Sci-Fi HD. I remember thinking that it didn't look all that great to me. About dvd quality in my mind.

Then a few hours later, I was watching my recording of the History Channel show and they happened to show the exact same scene I just watched on Sci-Fi. It looked much better to me in this show.

Wonder what gives? Is this simply just the fact that Sci-Fi HD sucks?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood what goes on with Sci-Fi HD. Every time I tuned in, I saw a 4:3 picture pillar-boxed inside the 16:9 frame. WTF????

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Just watched the DVR'd telecast of Last Crusade. No doubt it looks better than an upconverted DVD. I was very impressed with the transfer. Looked great.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well I recorded these and started to watch Raiders, looked good but then along came the commercial interruptions. Ugh.

I hope these go into rotation on HDNetmovies someday or better yet a BD release. That's probably a pipe dream.

zackscott5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Zack Scott
I don't think that it is such a pipe dream. Especially with the new Indy movie coming out tomorrow, if the video release only comes with a SD-DVD release and no BD day and date, there will be holy hell to pay from Paramount. I feel that they will release them all in Bd with the new one as a box set only (ala Dirty harry and Oceans 11) and then release seperate disc later on (with new special editions for those willing to double dip).

If that happens, i personally would read reviews online about the video transfer and then decide (like I did with Predator and Master and commander...love those movies and can't wait to buy them on Bd but only with the extras from the collectors editions included and a new transfer, may have to wait a bit but that's okay)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The problem is, its up to Lucas, not Paramount. I'm fairly confident that we will get Crystal Skull on blu-ray as a day and date with the DVD, but its anyone's guess as to the others. Its really at George Lucas' whim.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hate to be negative on this one but IMHO it will take a miricle for IJ4 to come out on Blu-ray day and date along with SD-DVD. I have a feeling since he does not want to release anything in Blu-ray yet, he will screw us! :eek: :frowning:

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Huh? I'm pretty sure he only said that he wanted to wait until there was only one format, not to mention that for the 4th movie, it's as much Spielberg's call as it is Lucas', since Spielberg and Amblin Ent. co-produced the film. I'm not sure about 1-3, but I would be shocked if "Crystal Skulls" didn't come day-and-date.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am pretty sure that Spielberg was involved with the original trilogy as well if I am not mistaken. And while Lucas may have said he wanted to wait for there to be a winner to the HD format war. I honestly beleive he will wait until Blu-ray has won major market share or close to it. I may be wrong and have been in the past, but I feel he will wait. But at least this time when he puts a Dolby sound track on it I wount mind. As long as it is a Dolby True HD track. But when he finally starts offering Blu-rays and if he only puts the lossy Dolby Digital on it there is a very good possibility I will not buy them. :angry:

I am hoping that Lucas will at least offer Dolby True HD lossless audio on his releases once he actually starts releasing in HD. :D

But if Lucas allowed Fox to give us a DTS-HD MA lossless track I wouldn't complain ether. :D Hell I don't care if his movies are offered in LPCM as long as its lossless. :emoji_thumbsup:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Late last year there was some rumor news that the Indy blu ray set would be coming out when Indy Legos 2 was going to be released. I believe it was the Digital Bits commented on this in the rumor mill:

2/2/09

Good news for you Indy fans... our industry sources have confirmed that the planned Indiana Jones Trilogy Blu-ray release this holiday season is the real deal. Look for it in the 4th quarter, obviously from Paramount and Lucasfilm.

*Obviously this did not happen. Another rumor mill update stated that the Jones films would come to blu ray in 2010 however:

12/15/09

So let's start with what we think are the most exciting developments first. Based on information gathered from scores of industry sources over the last few months, we have strong reason to believe that Lucasfilm and Paramount are planning to bow the classic Indiana Jones Trilogy on Blu-ray in 2010, followed by at least some or all of theStar Wars films in 2011 (either the classic or prequel trilogies... or possibly even the long-awaited complete saga box set).

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#121509

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So, you bumped to post with info from nearly a year ago and a little rumor blurb from 6 months ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks