What's new

Indian musicals on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Instead of the VP debate, I'm sitting here watching the International Channel. There's a show on about a young, famous director from India. They keep showing clips from his films. I got to be thinking... it'd be very cool to actually own one of these on DVD.

I'm aware that there are, for example, very crappy editions of the Apu trilogy on disc. I've seen those films and enjoyed them, but they're not what I'm thinking about. I'd love to own one of the 10000 musicals they make every year. Preferably, something less than 5 years old or so. It'd be great to have a solid example of modern Indian cinema in my collection.

Questions: have any of these been released over here in region 1? If there aren't any R1 versions, anyone know of a reputable place to order other region releases of these online? Hmmm... actually, I bet India uses PAL like the UK, so that would be an issue for me, too. Finally -- anyone have recommendations of particularly good films that shouldn't be missed?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

You might want to do a search for "Bollywood" as there are several old threads dealing with this very subject.

There are numerous great films out of India, but here's a few of my faves:

Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
Devdas (2002)
Fiza
Lagaan
Dil Se
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
Sholay
(more of a Western than a musical)

Films from India are highly underrated in my opinion. These DVDs are available here in the states and they are NTSC but the transfers are somewhat lacking compared to most U.S. releases. However, the films are just too enjoyable not to purchase.

Check Nehaflix.com for good prices and good selection.

Jeff

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to the both of you! For the life of me, I couldn't remember the word "Bollywood" the other day.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Also have to give a plug for nehaflix.com and also indiaweekly.com which was once the best retailer on the net, but seems to have slowed down.

For reviews, check out zulm.net In the message board section especially, the Indian DVD reviewers make everyone else look lazy. They post up screen shots, argue about really technical matters. Very tough crowd.

As far as films, have fun. There are so many out there that once you find a director or star, I'd suggest getting some of their other films to find out about them that way. I'd highly recommend the director Ramgopal Varma, with RANGEELA probably being the best starting point for Bollywood.

As far as the DVDs go, one of the good things is you can find DVDs for under $5 or $10. Most are anamorphic. Although quality is VERY hit and miss. You may find even recent theatrical releases that have scratched up prints on DVD. Recently, some have been released with extras like audio commentary and such.

Have fun.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

The vast majority of Indian movies on DVD are Region 0 NTSC. Exceptions are those released by Western companies like Lagaan, Asoka, and Mission Kashmir, which are region coded and have both NTSC and PAL versions.

Shoaib Lateef

Second Unit
the best "recent" indian movie is Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)...it is simply a MUST SEE, in terms of both story and music.

a very strong recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks