What's new

Incredibly bad experience with Directv that I must relate to all of you... (1 Viewer)

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is in the right section. If not, please move to the appropriate section.

I was looking to invest in a DVR with a dual-tuner and more recording time than the Dish Network 501 receiver that I currently have.

I decided to check out Directv because I've been told that new customers are given much better deals than existing customers. When I gave the CSR the info on what I was looking for, I was given great news. I was told that I could receive four receivers (one HD, one dual-tuner DVR, and two standard receivers) with free installation, equipment (leased, of course), and dishes for no money up front and a price of $61.00 per month (for 185 channels and HD channels). I am currently subscribed to 180 channels and no HD for about $80 per month.

I requested that they sign me up for installation and the nightmare started on the day that I was to have the installers arrive.

I set up the appointment for the first afternoon available and was told that that day was Tuesday, October 24 from noon to 5 p.m. I made arrangements for my mom to travel to my home to be here that day (major inconvenience to her to drive here and be here by noon).

By 4:45 p.m., I had not heard from anyone and I called to ask about the status of my work order. The CSR that I spoke to told me that the appointment was for Thursday, October 26 from 8:00 a.m. to noon. There was no record of my appointment being today. I told her that there is no way that I would have accepted that appointment time because there was no way that I could have made arrangements for anyone to be here at that time.

I was getting frustrated and asked her if this was typical for Directv to run its operations. I was not abusive, loud, or crude while speaking with the lady and she HUNG UP ON ME!!

I sat there for a full five seconds trying to comprehend what had just happened. I couldn't believe that I, a new subscriber/customer, was treated so shabbily. I immediately called back and talked to a much more pleasant CSR. He apologized profusely for what had happened and I asked to speak to a manager.

After about a three minute wait, I was transferred to a supervisor and related my experience. He was appalled and told me that this was not indicative of the service that Directv provides. He assured me that he would help me out as best as he could. We talked for about fifteen minutes and I complimented him and the CSR that I just spoken to about their politeness and understanding.

At the end of our conversation, he told me that he would look into which division/section I might have called and who might have hung up on me.

He also informed me that the soonest afternoon installation job he would be able to get me for guaranteed installation would be October 31. I accepted the time and thanked him for his time and assistance.

I thought my problems were over, but they were still to come. About five minutes after my discussion with the manager, I received an automated call from Directv confirming my installation appointment for FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27!! I pressed the option to have customer service to call me and after a long-winded message, the computer thanked me for confirming the appointment for that Friday.

By this time, I realized that it was not meant to be and called to cancel my appointment. The first time I called back, the phone picked up and there was no one there. I waited about a minute, saying, "Hello, hello?" and hung up and called back.

The second time, the CSR that picked up the phone answered while laughing at some unheard joke. He was actually laughing while he was greeting me!! I ignored the faux pas and gave him my phone number as he had requested from me and was DISCONNECTED again!

The third time I got through to someone, I asked her if there were some technical difficulties which resulted in phones being disconnected. She told me there were no problems and I asked her to cancel my appointment. She apologized and checked my info. She told me that the appointment was for THURSDAY, OCTOBER 26 from 8:00 A.M. to NOON.

I said, "Come on, this cannot be happening." She read the notes attached to my info and said that the change to October 31 was listed but hadn't been done.

That was the final straw and I asked her to cancel my appointment immediately. Here is the final kicker...during the time that it has taken for me to search for the correct section to post this thread, type out this thread, and reread this thread, I have been on hold from the aforementioned CSR to speak to a manager for the last time to relate this incident. Currently, my phone shows that I have been on hold for about 35 MINUTES!!

I cannot believe in this day and age, with competition being the way that it is, that I could experience such a nightmare.

Am I alone in my experiences with Directv? I have never had a bad experience with Dish Network for the 5 years that I have been a subscriber. I've had to replace about 6 receivers that have gone bad for one reason or another and never had a complaint. I, for one, will pay more money for less service because Directv has shown me their true colors.

BTW, my phone now shows that I have been on hold for nearly 40 minutes. RIDICULOUS.

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED DIRECTV!!

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear about your experience, Bill. That really sucks. Fortunately, I have nothing but good things to say about Directv in the 3+ years that I have been with them.

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator
I had nearly identical experience with DirecTV. I went with Comcast cable instead. DirecTV has terrible customer service on a par with Restoration Hardware. I hate them.

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I'm glad to hear that you have had nothing but good experiences with Directv. I just couldn't take a chance on a company that made such a bad first impression. As the manager I spoke to said, "I know that there is no way that I can undo the first experience that you had."

While he was right, it was the third, fourth, and fifth impressions that scared me away from Directv. I simply could not commit to a long-term relationship with a company that treated its newest customers as I was treated.

Chris,

Amazing that we could have nearly identical experiences. I was assured that the customer service department did not normally treat customers like I was treated. I was told it was an abberation. Perhaps it wasn't.

So far, one person with a positive experience, two with a negative experience.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I have had very good experiences with DirecTV in the nearly six years I have been subscribed to their service. My sister, on the other hand, has had nothing but one nightmare after another with Dish. So you never know.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
My parents have had DirecTV since the summer of 1994. They've only had one problem in that whole time. The last time they had a problem (their DVR died), customer service replaced the model and gave them 6 months of free Showtime as an apology for the short time they would be without service while switching out the receivers. When my Dad called in to activate the new box, the CSR was quite rude with him. My Dad is hearing-impaired and the CSR had to repeat herself a few times which annoyed her I guess. He asked to speak to the CSR's manager and at the end of the day had a profuse apology and the CSR was fired.

McCall

Auditioning
Real Name
McCall
This sounds like a completely normal customer service experience to me, it is the only kind I have had for at least the last couple years or more. Hey did they at least speak English? that is a plus now as well.

I had an almost identical experience with Comcast a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks