What's new

Incredibles killed my sub (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Coby:

You are a pioneer, and with reward (deep bass, VERY deep), there is risk (what happened.)

Bravo, we applaud you, brave soul :D

Greg:

Be a man and get a pro amp and be done with it...forever. :emoji_thumbsup:

Honestly, maybe you don't need more POWER, but more CURRENT that a pro amp could give you. I might be totally wrong.

CobyH

Auditioning
Well...I'm more stupid than brave, and I'm not pioneering...I'm just checking for myself why the conventional wisdom is what it is. I do want more spl in my setup; so I'll tune it a bit higher with less volume in the sonotube. (it's 5 feet of 24" sonotube...pretty dang underdamped) Then I'll see if I really hear a difference by tuning it so the low low end drops off a bit more...I'm betting I don't. It's fun playing with this stuff, though the rebuying of the driver gets a bit expensive, when you're doing it on a budget like most of us are. I haven't sunk more than $600 into it so far, so I'm not out a ton.

TimB

Agent
Coby,

The intention of my original post saying my sub made it through ok was not a comparison statement, if it seemed that way then it was my fault and I apologize. I was simply stating that I watched it, and it ran ok with my setup. I mentioned my sub only as a blanket statement that "my sub made it through Incredibles". It is obvious that there are many subs that have made it through the movie, and mine was one of them. Obviously, a new sub would need to be in order for the original poster, so rather than having to wait for a response on what sub it was, I put it in there by default.

Steve, no offense taken.

I love this forum, however I am starting to get tired of the childish attacks on what equipment people have. "It's not a sub, it only goes down to 36." statements are really welcoming comments to people that share there experiences with the rest of the community. And yes, it's "cool" to have the room shake, but there are some people who, for many reasons, can't have those kind of frequencies running around throughout their condo/apartment/house, etc; or simply don't want that.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Tim: I think you're overreacting to John's comment about the 36hz. I've seen enough posts from him to be quite certain that it was not meant to be a 'childish attack'. He was probably speaking from a technical standpoint.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
any guys who blew the sub have them calibrated ?????

I know I pushed my sub pretty hard when I first watched Toy Story 2 and at reference never blew anything. scared me a little how much air was moving and shaking the house but my SCS 25_31PC+ takes it everytime!

make sure those subs are calibrated along with all the other speakers.

Rob Ritch

Agent
For what it is worth, I have had a chance to do some listening with the new Velo for a few days. I can honestly say that compared to the Kenwood the Velo is great. The kenwood was definatley VERY boomy and not very clean, the new Velo is not boomy and seams pretty tight. I have not had a chance to calibrate yet so it is just set by ear.

As far as some of the statements about the Velo and the fact that it is only rated to 36hZ, here is the deal. I was not planning to upgrade subs at this time. I have a couple major home remodeling projects in the works so the funds just aren't there for an SVS of HSU. Don't get me wrong I would love to have an SVS, but the funds just aren't there right now, and I needed a sub. As far as I am concerned, the cost was reasonable, and I am happy with the sub. Compared to the Kenwood that I had the Velo is great. BTW I had the Kenwood calibrated +2db above all of the other speakers at reference level.

wilborn f

Agent
Hi, because of this thread, i was compelled to buy The Incredibles DVD. WOW!!!!, It was laden with Low Frequency Chaos and my M&K rose to the challenge.

Thanks

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

I'm also in NoVA. How many watts does your old Kenwood amp put out? I might be interested in the amp, cabinet, if you still have it.

E-mail me:

Thanks!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Wayne, if you haven't ditched the old Kenwood you should consider handing it down to wayne or me. He may have a DIY project in mind, but I'd just load it with a new driver from parts express and find someplace to set it up.

BTW The Incredibles sounded, well, incredible on my system. No problem with my vintage Crown powered DIY IB.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I have 1/2 of my IB setup completed. I'm only using 1 Stryke/AE IB15 powered by my Nady amp.

While The Incredibles was on last evening, my 14 x 21 x 8 family room was shaking and the volume on my Pioneer Elite 54TX receiver was only set to -30. I can't wait until my neighbor goes on vacation, so I can watch it at the -20 setting.

Hey, I live in a townhome, so I have to have at least a bit of respect for my neighbor - which is why I only went with (2) IB15 subs instead of 4. ;)

Rob Ritch

Agent

I still have the Kenwood, but I am not sure yet what I am going to do with it. It has a claimed 100W plate amp, but the enclosure is only for a 6 1/2" driver. I am thinking about using the amp to experiment with some DIY stuff, but not sure yet. If I decide not to keep it I will let you know.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My PB-10 didn't seem to bat an eye at this movie, though I wasn't listening at ref. levels either, and I only run it about 1dB hot. Nice, room pressurizing sound, but nothing that a capable sub shouldn't be able to handle.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

Same here John G. I had my PB10-ISD out in the main yesterday, leaky 12 X 24 X 10' loaded next to seating with the gain at 1/2 (+1db calibration) and it handled every thing just fine at -12. I still shake my head every now and then knowing the PB10-ISD is producing such incredible bass for the $$. It's causing me to re-think if having the Maestro for a 2nt option out in the main along with the PB12-ULTRA/2, is really needed considering my Near-Field placement of whatever 2nt unit I have out there.

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
I've watched it through about 3 times now. Using an PB12 Ultra/2 tuned to 20Hz. Hardest hitting for me was when Mr. I first gets to the island and encounters the Orb bot. When he knocks the orb down and it crashes into the ground/base of tree....Wowsers!! Many others throughout the movie but that was the hardest hitting with my setup and room. I also have 2 46CS+s not hooked up. Need to get the SVS black box to properly set up and I'll spin it again with all three and hold on!!

Alan M

Second Unit
I watched the movie this weekend.My P-2 sub handled it well with no problems.My Aura pros(shakers) on the other hand,1st time I've had a sore butt from watching a movie:D .

terence

Supporting Actor

I have to agree, i do beleive that is the hottest bass scence in the movie. So look out on that one.

Rob Ritch

Agent

Me too. BTW I watched it again yesterday with my new Velo and it handled it no problem. It sounded much better than the Kenwood both before and after its unfortunate demise :D

JasonRabb

Grip
Just a quick response to Mr. Harden...I totally agree. The spot where Mr. Incredible answers the phone had me jump and spin around 'cause I thought some maint. workers were still in my back hallway working (and I'd thought they'd gone.) It's the small moments in HT that I love and this was one of them. Man, it sounded like he was right behind me. (I think this is due to the fact that our eyes were drawn to the innocuous action of someone picking up a phone and no one expected a second character at that moment...that adds to the drama.)

JasonRabb

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Jason:

The kicker is the surround speakers we are using now are 'free' KLH ones (~5" woofer WITH wizzer cone, and a 3/8" poly dome tweeter!) we got at Best Buy about three years ago when we purchased our Pioneer receiver.

Cannot wait until I get my REAL system setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks