What's new

In which I crow about an achievement... (1 Viewer)

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
After several years of working on it, failed tenures with talent agencies, auditions never heard from again, and major bouts with apathy and self-doubt...

Today I head to Chicago to record my first big-time voiceover.

I'm both elated and petrified. I'll be in a studio where every band I can think of has recorded, doing a 30 second national TV ad for a fast food place.

I don't have anything profound to say about it, other than I guess the usual sports-movie cliche that one shouldn't give up after a few (or more than a few) failures. That was certainly the case with me.

Anyway, it's a victory for me today, and if that isn't cause for a random post in the After Hours Lounge, I don't know what is.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Congratulations on receiving the "Call Back" :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

You have completed the first step in your career of becoming a world-famous yodeler

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Glad to hear you broke into the business! Always good to hear about people who didn't give up, finally succeeding.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cool! Let us know when the ad airs
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
It's a KFC TV ad for a new sandwich. It starts "Been hanging around waiting for the perfect chicken sandwich?" They offered to have me watch the visuals before recording, but I didn't, so I don't know what it looks like. I don't know if there are any rules about me talking specifically about where it airs or anything, so I suppose I shouldn't, but it's most of the country as I understand it. No idea when, though.

That was quite an experience. I was at Chicago Recording Company, what a fantastic studio that was. Lots of long-haired kids in t-shirts bringing me water and all, got to pretend to be a real big shot. 90 minutes for the session itself. I was so happy that I didn't get a big case of nerves. There was a lot of copy to get through, but I didn't end up having to re-do much of it. They seemed to be really pleased with my takes.

Thanks to all of you for the kind posts. Right now, I DO feel like the poster child for not giving up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's awesome. I'm underemployed right now, struggling to find ANY job, much less one I liked. It's nice to hear a success story like yours!:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Christopher: Congratulations. As a broadcaster myself (small time), I know that feeling of accomplishment of getting the foot in the door and getting your first gig behind you. Here's to many more!

I do a fair amount of voice work in my job and while most of it becomes quite routine...there are always those times when something becomes larger than expected or you get a job which takes you into a big studio with all the trimmings.

You must have had a blast! I can tell you it's a trip that you'll never forget.

I'll be paying attention for the spot. Any idea when it will begin to air?

Keep it going! :emoji_thumbsup:

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Mike

No, unsure about when it'll be on the air.

Got another call from the agency today, I have to return to Chicago on Monday. I was afraid it was because I'd messed something up, but apparently now they're going to do some radio ads too and want me for those. The agent said it must have gone quite well.

It's AMAZING how quickly the novelty of this enterprise has worn off for my boss, though.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

In the interest of hanging on to my day job, I am going to spend the weekend checking out ISDN equipment, so that having a session can mean a long lunch instead of a full vacation day.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Not surprisingly, the WAF in relation to gadgets goes way up when you can couch it in words like "ISDN equipment will allow me to keep the real job (with the benefits) and not get fired".

Now, is there a way I can make the same argument about a 1080p projector? Haven't worked it out yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks