What's new

In walls (1 Viewer)

shoveit1012

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
I really like the idea of In Wall speakers. Trying to keep my 2 year from getting to them and I like the look of speakers not being exposed.

I have a 33x17x8' room. Its a dual purpose room, HT and pool table, but because of wall positions, my sides and rears need to be ceiling mounted. What are everyone's thoughts on in-wall subs? My front wall is a false wall. Still under construction, so I am not sure what the actually depth will be. Most likely 12" depth. I would plan on intalling the sub there.

Can you point me in the right direction to be in a budget of $3500 for 7.1 system

Thanks for the help

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We never recommend in-wall speakers first. They are always a compromise in quality. In-ceiling are even worse.

In-wall subs have even more issues. Placement in the room is critical for the optimum sound and you will lock your sub into a location without getting to test that location. You are also very, very limited in size. Finally, they are way over priced for what you get. A few years ago, a dual 10" in-wall sub was introduced for about $1,200. It consisted of an MDF enclosure with about $20 of wood and a pair of $50 drivers.

If you want to hide your sub, do you have an adjacent room that can contain it? A closet or storage room? Then an IB sub is something to look into. You can get the absolute best bass possible are a very reasonable cost.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I'm about to do on wall speakers from Definitive Technology. They are pretty amazing speakers and I never thought I would like them as I agree with Robert. The range of this speakers is pretty cool given there small size. I'm going with the XTR60 for my fronts and XTR20PB for my rears. I will use a normal sub however. I too have never believed that in wall subs are all that great. Given you can just hide them in a corner it just seems resonable to use one. If you go SVS tube they look nice in a corner not a big box.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Todd,

Remember your two year old will not be a two year old forever. Kids grow up pretty quick these days today's concerns can go away tomorrow.

If you like in walls and in ceilings then you have to realize you may be compromising sound quality for looks. I tend to like the flexibility that stand alone bring because you can move them around if you want to change your furniture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks