What's new

in wall subwoofer cable, connectors (1 Viewer)

Rich Sk

Grip
I'm in the process of finishing the basement, with a 7.1 system in the family room. To keep things neat, I plan on placing the components in an in-wall cabinet on the 'east' wall' of the room, the TV and front speakers on the 'south' wall, and the listening position will be facing the south wall. Because I have a hallway that leads off from the 'east' wall, you enter the room from the 'northeast' corner, and a fireplace sits diagonally in the 'southeast' corner, I'm assuming that the subwoofer won't be able to be placed near the cabinet because the east wall is pretty busy. I'm assuming that it will most likely sit across the room (15 feet) on the 'west' wall.
My question:
I plan on using the LFE output on my Denon 3803 receiver to supply the Deftech Super Cube and I'd like to keep the cabling behind walls as much as possible, but I'm not sure what to use for cable to go up the back of the cabinet, across the ceiling, down the west wall, and out a gang box. I bought a Monster Cable ultra subwoofer interconnect 1000 that is 25 feet long, but I doubt that it will be long enough to stick out of the wall and allow any flexibility in positioning the subwoofer. If I ignore that fact that it is not UL rated, can I run that cable across the ceiling, down the inside of a wall to a gang box, terminate it with some sort of female/female RCA face plate jack, and run another cable to the subwoofer from this jack?

Thanks for any input.

Rich Skordahl

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would use RG6 coax cable with an F-RCA adaptor at each end. I have used this in two of my setups. This to me is the most cost effective approach for a good, long sub interconnect.

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, Neil is correct. In the house I'm having built, RG6 is run for the sub. I ordered the connectors and wall plates from partsexpress to do the terminating.

The partsexpress # is:

F to RCA adapter 091-1200

Radio Shack might have these also.

Get you 2 blank wall plates from home depot that have the hex nut imprints so you can mount those adapters in them.

Rich Sk

Grip
Thanks for the pointers.
I took advantage of my local dealers 'invite only after hours sale', bought all my gear, the only problem is that I am a good two months away from having the family room done. I've been on this forum for about 8 months now, and quickly learned that there is a lot to learn about this HT hobby. I am trying to run up the learning curve as fast as I can so I can get the room finished now that I have gotten the system home and have heard what it sounds like.

Unless you bought a 'theater' in a box system, I don't know how you folks put your systems together before this forum was created.

Rich

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
"Unless you bought a 'theater' in a box system, I don't know how you folks put your systems together before this forum was created. "

There are things called manuals, ya know. :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Get you 2 blank wall plates from home depot that have the hex nut imprints so you can mount those adapters in them.
Radio Shack and even Home Depot sell a modular wall plate that allows you to interchange connections as you need them. (ie: RCA, speaker terminals, coax cable, telephone) They just snap into place. I put one behind my setup that has jacks for my sub LFE, cable, and my rear speakers... all on one wall plate!

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

Yep, the Leviton stuff. Only bad thing, they are expensive. My solution costs about $2 a plate. The Leviton stuff is about $6.50 for a pair of connectors and the blank plate is $1-2.

I'm totally into saving money. Though the leviton stuff is super easy to snap and go, assembling the wall plate and the rca adapter would take about 30 seconds.

I'm also doing 8-way binding post plates for the 7.1 surround hookups. I'm able to make those with DIY parts from partsexpress for half the cost of buying them from Depot, CC, BB, UE, etc.

Too each his own, tho. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks