What's new

In wall speaker cable and bass shakers. (1 Viewer)

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
OK I am almost done with the cabling, however I have a question or 2.

1. I have ran 14 gage in wall monster cable for my 7.1 set up, is there any need to run 2 lines to each speaker? I may not have enough but I do have a lot left.

2. I have 4 bass shaker pros to install, will that be enough for 2 rows of seats, 1 3-4 seater and 1 2-3 seater. I was thinking on mounting them in the seats for the front and I might mount them in the riser for the rear or the seats as well (what do you think?). Do I need more or do I have enough and should I mount them on the seats or in the riser for the rear and on the seats for the front.

I hope this is a OK description for you guys to help me with. After I get this done I need to run a heater vent and a return, then I will have questions about where to install a future mount for my projector.

Mike

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
If I am not mistaken you MUST run two lines to each speaker because of the positive and negative wires. Or am I misunderstanding you?

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, when I go to the trouble of running wire behind a wall or in an attic or crawl space. I always run an extra what ever to the location in question.

So for speaker locations I'd run an extra pair. For CAT5 I'd run an extra cable. The cost is cheap compared to work necessary to run a replacement cable later.

If something happens like driving a nail through the wall to hang a picture in the future cuts one of your speakers wires, your all set with an in wall spare.

As a side benefit, if you ever upgrade your speakers, you now have the ability to do A to B comparisons using the extra speaker wires.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not really, unless you intend to biwire or biamp your speakers.

Nevertheless, Steve has some excellent points. If any of them pique your interest, go ahead and run a second wire to each speaker.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
Thnx guys, I guess since I bought 500 feet of this stuff I will start to run more wires till I am out...

:)

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
For the shakers, since they're so cheap, consider adding a third to the 3-4 seat riser. This may be overkill, though, because the Pro's are pretty beefy.

I'd attach them directly to the chairs-- take the fabric off the bottom of the chair and attach the shakers to the frames as close to the butt/ lower back as possible.

You should prewire this while you have the walls open-- one cable for the front row, one for the back row.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks