What's new

In Search Of... (1 Viewer)

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Surprisingly, it arrived today! Let's get to what you all really want to know!
The original theme music is intact. :D :cool:
Video is exactly like you remember, grainy. Looks like they just used the original broadcast tapes. That said, the PQ is actually pretty good as is the mastering.
Each episode runs 22 mins.. Syndicated programs typically ran shorter than prime time network programs (even in the 1970's) so the running time is likely correct.
Each dual-layered disc has 8 episodes. I noticed no compression related artifacts though I wasn't looking for any either.
The Rod Serling episodes are clearly sourced from aging VHS tapes. They look worse than the Nimoy episodes but are watchable.
The Mitch Pileggi episodes look very good. They should since they are only 10 years old.
There is no new documentary with Leonard Nimoy. :(
The box is smaller than the pictures online make it out to be. Just 8" wide and a little less than 6" tall. It has a nice glossy finish and feels sturdy. The box is hinged using some kind of black ribbon. With normal use, the box should hold up over time. The 7 cases fit snuggly inside. Nothing rattling around when it got to me. :)
Each case holds 3 discs. The Serling episodes are all that is on the sole bonus disc in the season 7 (the Mitch Pileggi episodes) case.
Each season was shrink wrapped, a possible indication of future indivdual releases. Possibly next year would be my guess.
And that's pretty much it.
I think we can guess at the delays now. Part of it was probably trying to get Nimoy for the new doc which clearly didn't happen, and part was probably trying to get better source material for the Serling episodes which also didn't happen.
Still, it's a nice set and likely the best we are ever going to get. Sure, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of better source material for the Serling episodes and the new Nimoy doc. But, the mere fact this set exists at all, with the episodes as originally aired, makes me very happy.
Looks like I can have "In Search Of..." on the weekends again! I'll start Saturday with the Serling episodes which I've never seen. :)

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
You're welcome, Scott!
A small update: I was looking at a couple of episodes last night and the video is better than I thought. Clearly some re-mastering was done. The show looks as good as it's going to without restoring each 16mm print which is unlikely to ever happen.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Great news.
Thank you Tom.
I placed another order from Amazon yesterday. It was released today, and surprise...its out of stock.
Oh well, my order is placed and I'll be happy when it comes in.

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Both US and Canada Amazon are now showing this IN STOCK!
I ordered my copy and will have it by Tuesday. This series was one of my favorites as a kid and I have no memories of watching the Serling episodes, so will be viewing those first.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I had pre-ordered back in Oct., and my status changed yesterday. It now says shipping on Dec. 17th. So I will have mine soon also.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Scott511 said:
I had pre-ordered back in Oct., and my status changed yesterday. It now says shipping on Dec. 17th. So I will have mine soon also.
I just received notification that my set has been shipped. Amazon.ca changing the shipping method due to the issues with the released. I am looking forward to this show as i am huge fan of the unknown, especially episodes like DB Cooper or Atlantis, etc. I am also happy as this set puts me at 99 completed TV shows and next year i will break 100 complete series. I have been collecting for 8+ years and i am glad that i will finally break the 100 level. If you add in my cartoons then i am close to 150 shows. My goal is to stopped at 200 completed series, including cartoons.

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
My set has shipped also and will be here on Tuesday. Man, I'm really jazzed for this one, haven't seen an episode in at least 20 years!

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I'm excited to say mine shipped before the Dec. 17 notice, it went out Friday.
I just went over to Pyramid Media who has been selling the episodes of the series (legit, not bootleg) on VHS for years at 79.00 per episode, and I've noticed they now one can buy a "VHS personal use" copy at ONLY 29.95. LOL..I can only imagine this lower price option has been added because the set was going to be released on DVD.
I was at their site early this year BEFORE the DVDs were announced and as usual the only option at that time was the 79.00 per tape price.
I wonder if any fans ever purchased these?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Not sure if anyone knows, are these the original cuts of the episodes? I saw a few of the old ones in the 90s that had "new credits and music". Also the Nimoy host intro was heavily cut.
If i buy this, i want them as they were in the 70s!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
RickER said:
Not sure if anyone knows, are these the original cuts of the episodes? I saw a few of the old ones in the 90s that had "new credits and music". Also the Nimoy host intro was heavily cut.
If i buy this, i want them as they were in the 70s!
Fond memories of the show from when I was a kid. I read a review over at Amazon that said they are the original ones from the 70's.

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
On the episode lengths,would not a show that was on first in 1976 run 24-25 minutes?Can the 22 minutes on the dvd be uncut versions?

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
gordoncolt said:
On the episode lengths,would not a show that was on first in 1976 run 24-25 minutes?Can the 22 minutes on the dvd be uncut versions?
Well over at Pyramid Media's website they list the episodes clocking in at 24 minutes.
Maybe buying their overpriced VHS tapes is the only way one is assured to be getting uncut episodes.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Originally Posted by gordoncolt /t/278328/in-search-of/30#post_4014587

Since the show was syndicated - not network - the 22 minute running time sounds correct. Even syndicated shows from the 1970s ran shorter than their standard network counterparts.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
RickER said:
Not sure if anyone knows, are these the original cuts of the episodes? I saw a few of the old ones in the 90s that had "new credits and music". Also the Nimoy host intro was heavily cut. If i buy this, i want them as they were in the 70s!
I already have the set and I noted in my review above that the original theme music and graphics are intact. Everything seems intact but I haven't seen the show since it originally aired so...
gordoncolt said:
Scott511 said:
Well over at Pyramid Media's website they list the episodes clocking in at 24 minutes. Maybe buying their overpriced VHS tapes is the only way one is assured to be getting uncut episodes.
As I stated, syndicated series such as this one typically had shorter running times than network series. Pyramid could be mistaken, it wouldn't be the first time a site had the running time wrong.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The set is currently available on the VEI website for $89.95 cdn with *free* ground shipping to the US or Canada. Even with the exchange rate it's still a less than either Amazon US or Amazon.ca.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have watched a few episodes and the quality has been good. I watch some youtube videos and they were very bad. So, it has been a pleasant surprise on the quality of the dvd.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
[VIDEO]
UNCUT from the actual 16 mm film
[VIDEO]
CUT
22 minutes is the proper running time. Tom is correct on the matter.
I'll post my thoughts on the set tonight.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
My set arrived today, a scant 2-3 days after shipping from Amazon Canada. I've had the chance to go through a few season 1 shows and boy, does this bring back fond memories. Sitting in the dark watching some of these still gives me chills as a grown man just as when I was a kid watching these in the late 70s. What's especially interesting, with the benefit of having the Internet, is googling some of the subjects that these shows covered to see what advances in research have been made since the shows were broadcast, if any.
This is one of those shows that I had forgotten about for decades, and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed them until now. The shows that I have looked at appear to be in pretty good shape. VEI has done a nice job on this set, in particular the packaging is rather unique in that it's a case with a flip top, containing the 7 individually shrink-wrapped slim cases each featuring one season of the show, including the Mitch Pileggi years (I had no idea the original ran as long as it did; you can tell by some of the topics in the last season or two that they were beginning to run out of ideas. Had they gone one more season, they would probably have been investigating such things as the secret of Slim Jims :)
One other thing I loved about this set: the classic series theme music is preserved, not only on the episodes themselves, but also on the menus.
I think fans will be very pleased with this set. The show remains captivating to this day, and I'm glad NBC Universal licensed this out to VEI, since it's most likely a very niche title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks