1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Hahn, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    I had a great 4th of July as well; the usual picnic followed by fireworks at night.

Love those John Adams quotes Mike. I recorded and have so far watched 4 installments of the documentary miniseries, The Revolution. One line from the second episode sticks out in my mind, I loosely quote it here :

It was also pointed out in some length how Jefferson and others agonized over the slavery issue. Jefferson wrote several lines concerning this plague among the colonists; all of which were removed by the delegates in open session. One of the historians for the series stated that: (forgive me for another loose quote)

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I attended the Concert for Heroes at Riverside National Cemetary I was very moved by the heroism and bravery of the men being honored. One of them lost his entire family in the Holocaust, and decided to repay the soldiers of the country that liberated him by serving in our military. Another honoree has had every member of his family serve since the 1600s. The music was great, too.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Happy 237th Birthday, America!Hope all of the American HTFers have a fun and safe celebration.

4. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Happy Independence Day HTFers!

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nice bump, Adam! :thumbsup:

Dennis mentioned Edmund Burke in one of the early posts in this thread (and his impact on Jefferson). I had a viewing of the musical 1776 at my house last night and just made a post in another thread on the film. Here's an excerpt:
    Today, it seems most elected officials believe that by bowing to the opinions of their constituents will ensure them re-election instead of doing what is actually best for them. No polls. No pandering. Deliberation and tough decision-making are what's needed. And that agonizing compromise to ensure that the Declaration passed Congress is something I can hardly imagine happening in today's Congress.

I think we so often take the greatness of this nation for granted. It is a great day each year to focus on what makes the United States such an incredible nation.

6. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Screenwriter

I guess I'm not the only one who has to watch our DVD of "1776" on the fourth. Such a great film.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten