What's new

In-ceiling center and front speakers? (1 Viewer)

vcmazzei

Grip
Real Name
Vinicius Mazzei
Hi all,
I have been back and forth with the choice of speakers for my HT and am considering putting, not only the surround, but all speakers in the ceiling (obviously not the subwoofer).

Anyone can list pros and cons of in-ceilling against in-wall?

I have heard that front and center speakers should be angled. Making trigonometry on my room, I found to point them to the ears, it should be a 40-45 degrees from the ceiling... Searching on the internet, aparently there are no speakers with such angle. Maximum was 30deg... Will that make the difference?

Furthermore, I am planning the receiver YAMAHA's RX-V573 or 575 and both have the following outputs:

Rated output power (1kHz, 1ch driven) = 115W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated output power (20Hz-30kHz, 2ch driven) = 80W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Dynamic power per channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) = 110/130/160 W

What should be the potence of my speakers/subwoofer? My room is small, and I am not concerned about very loud systems. Just want to get the optimum for the receiver...

for in-wall, I am thinking on the following setup:
Center and front: 3 x Yamaha NS-IW760 6.5" 2-Way (130W / 40W) 6 ohms
Surround: 2 x Yamaha NS-IW360C 2-Way (120W / 35W) 6 ohms
Woofer: 1 x Yamaha YST-SW216BL (100W / 25-180Hz)

This receiver comes with a feature to rate the impedance to 6 ohms so it will not blow away, but how does it change the performance?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In-ceiling ruins your soundstage. That is the only con you need.Wattage ratings are also useless. That AVR probably comes up with 40x5...which is still enough to make you go deaf.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Have you thought about in-wall or on-wall speakers rather than in-ceiling fronts? My in-laws have in-ceiling front left and right speakers. To me they just sound odd. I have on-wall fronts which sound much better, IMO.

vcmazzei

Grip
Real Name
Vinicius Mazzei
Yes. I was in doubt if in-wall x in-ceilling. Bookshelf option is off already due to my wife's willingness of a clean design...

As per the responses to this other topics, I am convinced to go for In-walls. Donwsides are the wood pannel I will add (I have brick walls) and the risk of not finding new speakers from the same model in case one of them gets burst.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Forgo buying a "center" and buy all the same speaker...and you'll have your extra speaker...that is if the ones you want are sold in pairs.

vcmazzei

Grip
Real Name
Vinicius Mazzei
Thanks for reply. In-wall center channels I am looking is 2-way only, This means center and front will be 2-ways. I will have 3-way for surround only.... I am afraid not having full range at the front will lose some qualiry.

Any advise?

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Buy the same model speaker all the way around and you'll get perfectly timbre matched sound. Don't worry about 2 way vs 3 way since you already said you're getting a sub. Adjust your speaker/sub crossover setting accordingly, calibrate and you'll be fine.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Might I be so bold as to recommend Axiom (I have M22 on-walls with a VP160 center powered by a Yamaha RX-V1065) as a possibility for some in-wall/on-wall speakers? As the surrounds don't matter too much, I went with Polk Audio RC80i's. The Axioms are paintable or have a variety of colors you can choose from.

I would not go with in-ceiling speakers for the fronts and centers. My in-laws have Klipsh in-ceiling speakers for their main left and right speakers. That setup, IMO, leaves a lot to be desired. It sounds better to have all three front speakers facing the listening position.

It really depends upon what you would like to have and what you are willing to spend. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks