1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Important to all of us. Please read and ACT!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    Most of us are aware of Blockbuster's practice of renting pan&scan only, when there are widescreen versions available. Now is the time for us to take action or we will lose this war against original aspect ratio. Things are only getting worse. Please take a couple of minutes to check the url below, directly from the digital bits. It has a direct link to BB's customer service, e-mail, address etc.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
    FYI, BB's customer service states that "we rent what we are given by the studios". Do they think we are that dumb? We all know the power that Blockbuster has over the studios. If you want proof of that, simply look at how the studios are slowly but surely leaning toward pan & scan only DVD's.
    TAKE ACTION

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    For those of us with home theatre websites, the Digital Bits has provided nice anti-Blockbuster images that we can put on our sites so that we can link it directly to the petition. I for one plan on doing exactly this when I get home tonight.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Well-Known Member

I did email BB. In return for my asking about my desire for them to stock WS instead of P&S dvds they kindly sent me a standard form letter that had absolutely nothing to do with the subject. It makes me wonder if they even read their email.

OAR or nothing!!!

4. todd s

todd s Well-Known Member

The funniest thing about this, is BlockBusters commercials.
    1- They always talk about the videophile and his system. "You have the Hardware, We have the Software".
    2-One commercial the clerk asks the guy if he has seen it. And the guy says yes, but not with these extras (ie-commentary,etc.) Yes, he would like to see the WHOLE film, not a butchered version.
    3-They hardly stock Mummy Returns in WS. Yet, their commercial for it. Shows the movie in WS. [​IMG]
    Blockbuster should use it's ability to make people aware of the benefit of WS. Instead of ignoring it.

5. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Well-Known Member

6. PatrickL

PatrickL Well-Known Member

I just did my part by signing the online petition, and printing out a letter to send by snail mail.

Just as importantly, I will continue to not rent anything from their stores until they change their pro-p&s rental policy. The four nearest video stores in my area are all Blockbusters, so it's personally inconvenient for me to avoid them. But continue to avoid them I will, because I believe in this so strongly and I think they won't change unless they feel it at the cashbox.

7. streeter

streeter Well-Known Member

Just like they wanted... free publicity.

8. DaveBB

DaveBB Well-Known Member

I just called the Blockbuster Customer Service Line and talked to a very nice woman. She personanlly agreed that widescreen is better than pan n scam. However she said it was all the studio's fault and that Blockbuster had no say.
    Her theory is that they want to make widescreen fans buy the DVD if they want that version.[​IMG]
    Does anyone have a telephone number for Universal Studios Home Video?

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Well-Known Member

10. greg_t

greg_t Well-Known Member

I agree with Todd. We should all sign the petition and flood them with email, which I have done, but the best remedy is simply to not rent or buy from Blockbuster. I have not gone there in 6 months or so and will not as long as this goes on. I'm sure if their profits took a hit they would suddenly be able to get both widescreen and pan and scan from the studios. We have to support widescreen with our wallets by not buying or renting pan and scan releases.

Greg

11. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Well-Known Member

I actually haven't rented from Blockbuster since BEFORE DVD existed.

12. gregstaten

gregstaten Well-Known Member

I just called the customer support line and talked to a pleasant woman (with a great Texas accent) who is clearly being innundated with calls about this. I encourage everyone to be as pleasant, but firm, as possible with them. A positive complaint goes so much further up the chain than a rude one. (In fact, a rude one is likely to be dumped.)

I also politely explained that I know a bit about the way things work and that a store down the street rents the widescreen version (true) so their story about the studios only allowing the p&s to be rented doesn't hold water.

Finally, I told her that we watch 8-12 movies a week (true - they just aren't rented - I pull 'em off my shelf) and told her that those 8-12 movies will be aquired from other sources. It is important to let them know the volume of business they stand to lose with their decision.

I also signed the petition. Hopefully they'll be flooded with calls and letters and will relent. We've won these before and we can win it again.

-greg

13. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Well-Known Member

I say to hell with standard definition DVD. Let J6P have it. We can have HDDVD when it comes along all to ourselves. The battle for SDDVD is probably already lost. I made the mistake of going in to Wal Mart the day after thanksgiving, you should have seen all the 79.00 dollar DVD players that were headed for the door.
    Man after rereading my post it sounds like I am starting to sound like an EB I should be more careful.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

14. Charles J P

Charles J P Well-Known Member

CJ Paul
    I emailed them via the address listed at The Bits. I know why we never get anything done, they only allow us to submit 1000 characters (including spaces) at a time! WTF [​IMG] Any way, here is what I sent. This is my first email to them after having read dozens of threads here and elsewhere about their crappy responses. Note the tagline at the end.
    I am very concerned about what seems to be an official policy of BB, which is to only carry Pan & Scan versions of DVD titles where the properly-formatted, widescreen version is only available on a separate disk (i.e. The Grinch DVD). Please explain the logic behind this practice? BB supposedly caters to movie lovers, so I am puzzled as to why they only carry the cropped versions of many of my favorite films. I have seen responses from BB regarding this issue posted on the internet, implying that (as a function of DVD players) any DVD can be watched in widescreen, regardless of what format is actually on the disk. This is absolutely not true, and if this is the logic behind this poor policy, then movie lovers like me have a long battle ahead of us. If the situation does not improve, I will be canceling my membership, and renting from places that have an interest in movies. Please include in your reply, some indication that your response was not generated by a computer.

15. Luis A

Luis A Well-Known Member

Petition signed.
    I agree with Dave, we should also e-mail or call the studios who support P&S. If I'm correct Warner Brothers, Universal, MGM, and CTHV all release DVD in P&S.
    L
    P.S. Signature #1051 on the petition was not funny at all.[​IMG]

16. adam barker

adam barker New Member

At my local Blockbuster here in London, England there are almost no pan&scan dvds on the shelves, I'd say 19/20 are widescreen.

So the Hollywood studios are willing to ship proper versions across the Atlantic, and don't generally even bother with p&s versions here.

If they can do it here, they can do it anywhere. It's just a matter of letting them know the demand is there.

on edit: when I say "ship across the atlantic", I know they're actually R2, PAL etc, but it's the same Hollywood studios making a decision about the principle of widescreen/p&s being released to the public.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Geez, I can get LBX versions from my local GROCERY store.

Blockbuster, you're pathetic.

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

Blockbuster can carry the pan and scan, family edited G-rated versions on VHS only for all I care, I quit going there a LONG time ago!

19. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Well-Known Member

20. Rob T

Rob T Well-Known Member

I signed the petition. [​IMG]