What's new

Image recovery on totally dead card (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Finally had a card die on me. Unfortunately, the whole card isn't even recognized by the OS now. I pretty much am figuring since it can't be mounted it's dead unless I send it to a recovery place for major $$$ and since it was just a single afternoon's worth of images from one of my nephew's baseball games I don't think I'll bother.

However, if anyone has had any luck with something like Disk Warrior once the card is dead to the OS, let me know, I might consider going that route.

Would be worth the $99 if I was sure it was going to work I guess.

This is the card that was rolled over by a firetruck and left overnight in some water at a fire scene BTW. It wasn't supposed to be in my card rotation at all. Glad it happened here at this game than something I -really- cared about but still, hurts.

Sam

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Haven't had any luck with Disk Warrior, but Prosoft formerly sold a product called Picture Rescue that I did use and was able to recover a card's contents. Appears they may have discontinued it and rolled the functionality into Data Rescue 3. I think you can download a demo for free and it will scan the disk and display a list of recoverable files. You can then choose to buy the full version to recover them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Right, that's going to have the same problem I have now,I think. If you can't mount the disk you can't see recoverable files. I don't know of anything but DiskWarrior that will do that...

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Not entirely true. It can recover files from disks that can't be mounted. When my card was trashed it wouldn't mount either. I still managed to recover most of my images. I also used Data Rescue II to recover the contents from a dead hard drive that wouldn't mount and couldn't be seen by Disk Warrior. I'm not saying the software will be your salvation, but for a free demo download, it's worth a try.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I recently had something similar happen to a 16GB microSD card I use mainly to store music files for playback on my BB -- it seemed to have gotten corrupted (or maybe shorted?) inside my BB for no apparent reason. My BB threw up an error message and want me to fix the card, but although my WinXP PC seems to be able to minimally scan/recognize the card (via card reader), it just wouldn't mount it for me to do anything w/ it -- and acts almost like the card doesn't exist at all despite the initial minimal scan/recognition.

Anyway, I didn't lose any data/files that I need to recover, but I'd like to restore the card for use again. If there's no easy way to fix it myself, I guess maybe I can just send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement or something (under warranty) -- actually, I guess that's probably best anyway, if inconvenient, to help ensure future reliability of the card.

For now, I've put the originally included 2GB card back into my BB and that seems to work fine...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For $50 you get this tool and 8 others. Wraaaaa! Timing is everything in life. Seems worth it as insurance if you use a lot of cards.

Man: Once a card is corrupt one time, it's dead to me. I never ever use it for capture again.

http://maclegion.com/?a=df

Sherriebootht

Auditioning
Real Name
Sherrie bootht
Most HP computers have a feature which you can create them yourself. Usually it's in "pc tools" or the HP folder in start menu. I don't know when they started this but unless it's 2-3 years old...it should be there. If the disc came with the PC, you may have to pay. You could pirate a copy of XP but it's illegal and a pain to get updates and they will bug you to make it legal.
http://www.folkdirect.com/home/m/groups/view/Regal-E-Cigarette

JohnDempsey

Auditioning
Real Name
John Dempsey
Sam Posten said:
Finally had a card die on me.  Unfortunately, the whole card isn't even recognized by the OS now.  I pretty much am figuring since it can't be mounted it's dead unless I send it to a recovery place for major $$$ and since it was just a single afternoon's worth of images from one of my nephew's baseball games I don't think I'll bother. However, if anyone has had any luck with something like Disk Warrior once the card is dead to the OS, let me know, I might consider going that route. Would be worth the $99 if I was sure it was going to work I guess. This is the card that was rolled over by a firetruck and left overnight in some water at a fire scene BTW.  It wasn't supposed to be in my card rotation at all.  Glad it happened here at this game than something I -really- cared about but still, hurts. Sam
For repair photo files you may try Image Recovery. The software has some necessary features allowing to recover photos after power failures, accidentally deleting. Program has user-friendly interface.

JohnDempsey

Auditioning
Real Name
John Dempsey
Sam Posten said:
Finally had a card die on me.  Unfortunately, the whole card isn't even recognized by the OS now.  I pretty much am figuring since it can't be mounted it's dead unless I send it to a recovery place for major $$$ and since it was just a single afternoon's worth of images from one of my nephew's baseball games I don't think I'll bother. However, if anyone has had any luck with something like Disk Warrior once the card is dead to the OS, let me know, I might consider going that route. Would be worth the $99 if I was sure it was going to work I guess. This is the card that was rolled over by a firetruck and left overnight in some water at a fire scene BTW.  It wasn't supposed to be in my card rotation at all.  Glad it happened here at this game than something I -really- cared about but still, hurts. Sam
For repair photo files you may try Image Recovery. The software has some necessary features allowing to recover photos after power failures, accidentally deleting. Program has user-friendly interface.

JohnDempsey

Auditioning
Real Name
John Dempsey
Michael_K_Sr said:
Not entirely true. It can recover files from disks that can't be mounted. When my card was trashed it wouldn't mount either. I still managed to recover most of my images. I also used Data Rescue II to recover the contents from a dead hard drive that wouldn't mount and couldn't be seen by Disk Warrior. I'm not saying the software will be your salvation, but for a free demo download, it's worth a try.
Image Recovery deleted files, images, photos and other information. It recovers image data from SD cards, XD cards, Compact Flash, USB drives and storage devices, Digital Cameras, Floppy Disks. It starts under all Windows OS beginning with Win 98 up to last.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks