What's new

Image Entertainment announces 3 for HD DVD... Criterion next? (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
Looks like HD DVD has just won over its first "on the fence" studio!

http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Image Entertainment, aside from their concerts and IMAX films, also as of 2005 has become the exclusive distributor of The Criterion Collection. Could Criterion's HD DVD releases be inevitable? We'll see.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
How did these titles sell on SD DVD?
How did these titles look in SD DVD?
(were they film or video?)

Glad to have Image on board for HD disc.
Although, to me, the quality of there SD DVD's were all over the place.
Any Image SD DVD titles that should be a knockout on HD disc?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I think Image is holding back on BD for the moment due to the costs of tooling up; once it gets more widespread and mastering costs drop I expect they'll jump in.

Odd that they'd pick concert films, which usually have pretty poor source materials (see U2: Rattle and Hum) due to the lighting conditions and need to use handheld cameras and smaller/faster stock. Maybe they're counting on the advanced audio formats. But I've not seen any of these so they might be better quality sources.

EDIT: I am informed these were all shot in HD Video, so in theory they should look terrific.

And Image only distributes Criterion; they don't have a say in what they release or what formats they use.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm pretty sure we won't see films that have distro rights with Sony, Fox, or BV, like some of the Kurosawas.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Dolby TrueHD, 24 bit sound?? If they use lossy, low res. tracks it completely defeats the purpose.

Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I know it's lossless. However, my concern is that they'll just use a lossy encoded track. If Image does use Dolby TrueHD I hope they'll have sense enough to use the master soundtrack. New masters are usually 24/48 in the industry. If it's music based it could be 24/96 or even 24/192. That would be uber cool and one of the first distributors to use FULL master quality lossless sound, again if they play it smart. Almost 99% of the tracks out right now on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are from 16 bit downconverts.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks