What's new

Image Entertainment and GalleryPlayer go Blu. (1 Viewer)

Adam_R

Second Unit
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/805/805118p1.html

From the article:

"HD Lifestyle Imagery demands the highest quality visual presentation and consumer experience, which Blu-ray discs deliver. Blu-ray discs are clearly the preferred choice, currently outselling HD-DVDs, and we're launching our most popular content on the most popular platform. It's a winning combination for GalleryPlayer, Blu-ray and millions of consumers."

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
"Blu-ray and millions of consumers."

hmmm... PS3 owners???;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Another format-exclusivist?

:thumbsdown:

Cees

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am format neutral - it's many studios, that's who are not.
And a few fanboys and followers.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"1000 Places to See Before You Die: 50 Favorite Destinations, The Amazing World of National Geographic, Art Wolfe: Vanishing Act, and 50 Paintings from the Museum of Modern Art."

Hmm... "Nature and art" stuff. At this point - no thanks. Good news for many, though.

Adam_R

Second Unit

PLEASE explain to me how this is bad thing? Do you enjoy having 2 formats? Do you think that it's good for consumers? The industry? The more BluRay exclusives the better IMHO. If HD-DVD was selling 2:1 over Blu, I'd want it to go the other way. I just want a winner ASAP. I have both formats, but want a winner SOON so I can more good films.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Adam, I've done that in many other threads. Please read my arguments there if you're genuinely interested.

In short: the mere existence of two formats have never made a "war" (see incompatible record formats in the fifties and sixties, floppy disc formats in the eighties and nineties).

The "war" aspect is solely caused by studios who release exclusively on 1 format only, so consumers are hindered and have less means of choosing for themselves. Also, the absence of a dual-format player makes it a pain to have those two incompatible formats in a library, while the war-aspect would totally be lifted if we could buy affordable combi-players.

The strong competition of two formats has brought us many gains: better price, better quality, etc.

With so many consumers (and members of our forum) who have bought into Blu-ray as wel as HD DVD (not necessarily the same members :) ), it has become disadvantageous, almost a-social, to wish that one format would totally disappear. With the above mentioned solutions (studios all going format-neutral and/or affordable complete dual-format players readily available) all current problems attached to the existence of 2 formats would disappear, instead of the formats themselves.

Every studio going to release on both formats is not (or no longer) engaged in the format war, because the whole population of HD-players owners are their potential customers, and they don't force any consumer to a choice.

Cees

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

I personally never got this line of thinking. DVD shows us everyday that one format can give you:

- low hardware prices
- low software prices
- endless variety of hardware
- endless variety of software

giving consumers tons of choices.

Though, I would love to see Universal be the first exclusive to give us a "choice" by going neutral! :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No.
As long as 1 major studio will still be format-exclusive, there should be a format-exclusive studio on the "other" side.

Reverse thinking.
We do have two formats currently. Now the question is: what can that give you. Just a terrible war and not any of the goodies you mention?

Once we had 2 incompatible floppy formats (720k and 1,440k). Format war? No. And programs were released on the (size of) the format they needed.

Once we had 3 incompatible record formats (78 rpm, 45 rpm, 33 rpm). Format war? No, again.

Two formats not a war doth make. Each format may have it's typical use and place in the market.

Exclusivity and non-compatible players: that establishes a "war" and tend to bar the consumer from the decision process of a free market.

Cees

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

I'm not sure there could've been a format war with vinyl records. As far as I know, 78rpm records were replaced by 45rpm and 33rpm because they were easy to break. These two speeds were needed for different reasons: 45rpm played single song EPs and 33rpm played full album LPs.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There's no connection to Criterion whatsoever unless you count the fact that Image Entertainment is doing distribution for both GalleryPlayer and Criterion. Hell, if I paid Image the right amount of money, I'd be willing to bet they would distribute my title on VCD. Genius Products is another example. They do distribution for The Weinstein Company (HD-DVD) and Tartan (Blu-Ray). While it is interesting that these smaller studios are all starting to align themselves with Blu-Ray, Image will ultimately distribute Criterion titles on whatever format Criterion wishes.

If I had to guess, I'd say Criterion is going to hold out for a few months more.

Adam_R

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply. I was genuinely interested.

I think the facts show that multiple formats delays mass adoption which, in turn, keeps prices higher and keeps the best movies out of my hands for a while.

Fact, no?

And none of the "format wars" you mentioned meant diddley squat compared to this since the users were hardly as informed as the users are these days. We're too smart (or dumb). That's the problem.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Heh, heh.

Yet, I don't think it's necessarily so. :)

A few months ago I bought a DVD player for my daughter. It plays SDVD (all regions), DTS, DD, CD, DVD R+, DVD R-, SACD, and a few more, I really forget. And you know what? There are many players on the market supporting less and costing more.
A BD/HD DVD player isn't even *that* much of a physical hybrid: both use the same blue laser diode. An important difference lies in the superposed metalevel (firmware). Prices could go quickly below the sum of the prices of dedicated players and even get close to a single one.

Different media packages on the shelf? Like they used to have a Widescreen version and a P&S version laying next to each other? The P&S version often selling twice as much as the WS-version, BTW, and me still not wanting the WS version to disappear. Or a DTS-version next to a DD-version (necessitating a suitable, player and receiver!). Or the Criterion version next to the Kino version? Or, in bookshops, a Hardcover format next to a Paperback one (even several)? Or different vacuum cleaners, shavers (some with a quite different system - to "confuse" the consumer) or many travel clocks, or hammers, electric drills, etc. or any other of the blessings of the free market / consumers choice aspects the people in the USoA were proud of one time?

Please don't tell me that necessarily increased the price of those items!

And weren't we 'all' extremely appalled when some retailers announced they would sell one format, P&S, only? :)

Cees

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Cees, can you and Thomas agree on a form response whenever most of the other forum members say there should only be one format? The numerous posts both of you have made over the last few weeks denying it would be more efficient. Just copy and paste once per thread each and then just link back to it over and over. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Shawn,

If you cared to actually read a thread, instead of just making "funny" snide remarks, you would have seen (post #6 and 7) that I hesitantly explained my opinion in answer to a specific question.

And your post is way out of line in any other aspect too.

Cees

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Cees is correct. It is SIMPLE to grasp that having two formats isn't the problem but having exclusive studio support is. I've said this since day one. when people have preached on about how "their" format was better.

Why should studios decide which format is king by basically "forcing" buyers to support it? If they all released on both formats then you could see what the "consumer choice is" since people would be buying the format/players not the "exclusivity" factor crap.

Why is that so hard for people to understand? Many people do not "prefer" blu-ray because they feel it is better...they bought it because studios sort of made them by exclusivity crap.

Oh and the comment of Cees about the PS and WS versions of DVDs is GOLD...so I guess using the logic of some here that the WS should have been knocked out if the PS version was selling more.

I also agree how the prices of current discs are FINE and people who think they will just magically instantly drop to dvd or below levels if there is one format are dreaming. Same with players. Do people really think players would be where they are if there wasn't competition? Suuuuure. There'd still be only 800-1k blu ray player prices.

I for one do not think the dual format stuff is the reason for sluggish sales. I think it is simply the fact MOST people are happy with dvd.

Game consoles show there can be different "formats" and still be OK. There are countless industries that show it can be fine.

I have no prob with there being one format (I own both so do not care either way) especially with the huge weighting of studio exclusivity but for people to act like two formats are sooooooooo bad....they just aren't thinking past a simplistic level and apparently feel that 100+ mil humans want to just jump into the HD on disc game if there is one format and that players will be 100 bucks. Sorry, that ain't happening.

You know, I hope one format "wins" soon so people can see how the continued sluggish sales were not the result of 2 formats.

Oh and a person implied that people may be too smart to accept 2 formats these days. No, IMO people are too dumb to accept it. Not saying anyone specifically here but consumers in general may be too dumb to deal with it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Which is exactly my point in post #7. So if you refuse to read previous posts and then react with (unavoidably) inappropriate remarks like that, you can no longer be taken serious.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks