What's new

I'm ready to upgrade is my TV worth this much? (1 Viewer)

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I decided I want to upgrade my standard def Mitsubishi RPTV to a Infocus Screenplay 4805. The TV's model# is VS-60719. I bought it new in November of 2001. I was told it was Mitsubishi's last year/model bigscreen that wasn't a widescreen format. I am trying to sell it for $1000. Is it worth that much?

Thanks

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Highly doubt it...maybe you'd be lucky to get half that..maybe.

In today's big screen world, everyone (even Joe Six Pack)wants the latest greatest widescreen stuff and since someone can buy a new full featured set for almost a grand, I doubt anyone would want a 4 year old, 4:3 NON-HDTV capable set anymore...at least not at the $1K price point.

Good luck in your quest though!

:D

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I agree with you. I just had some people over looking at it. They seemed to like it. I made sure that they were clear on understanding that isn't wasn't a hi-def TV. It didn't seem to bother them. Thier biggest concern was getting it in thier house. He actually offered me $800 cash. I turned him down, because I need the money to apply to a projector. I guess if I can't get the $1000 out of the TV I will live with it for a few more years. By that time I will proabably be able to get a hi def projector for less then $1000. LOL

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
After reading the posts here I kind of wish I would've taken the offer. I should've at least countered with $900. They went home with some measurements hopefully they will see that it fits and come back again. I went to Walmart last night and saw a 51" 16:9 for $997. I think the thing that helps sell the my TV is that a 60" 4:3 looks huge compared to a 51" 16:9, or at least it looks a lot bigger then the one at Walmart. I also had the fullscreen version of a Toy Story in the DVD player when I showed it to them. That along with kick ass surround and an SVS makes for a good showing of the TV. Damn, I get so stressed out trying to sell stuff :frowning:

edit: looked at walmart again and the TV was 51" not 57"

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
If you get another chance, take the $800 and run.

I just sold my 61" Toshiba NTSC set for $300. Getting that huge box out of my living room really helps the stereo sound when I'm listening to music.

I bought an InFocus 4800 and I'm VERY happy with the picture. Now if I could just get consistent DTV reception...........

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Frank,

Call those people up ASAP and tell them you will deliver and help install it for $800!

You may never get another offer like that again..

p.s. Full Screen showing of Toy Story to sell the set?? AHHH!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Now ya got two strikes against ya! Fullscreen DVD AND not taking the $800...:)

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah!!! I may be the luckiest guy alive. They called me about lunch time and said they would take it for $1000. They are coming to get it around 7:00pm. I got it out of the basement already. Holy crap, that thing is heavy!

Alf, Can I redeem myself for being stubborn and holding out for a $1000 now? I also want to say that the Toy Story DVD has both the full screen and the widescreen versions. I just wanted the picture to fill the screen and "wow" them with the size as much as possible, so I chose the fullscreen. I think it worked. I won't be totally happy until I have the money in my hands though.

MarkN

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, $800 would be pretty sweet considering what you get in the $1300 range now-a-days.

Good luck bro! (fyi-I am in the same boat, darn thing just wont die!!!)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
All I can say is there is a sucker born every minute!!

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the TV is gone and I have a $1000 check. I'll make sure the funds are there on Monday before I order the projector. I know the people, so I'm not too worried.

Mark N...I was helping a friend move today and I was telling his family about the TV. They were interested in it too. I could proabably sell another one if I had it here LOL.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
What I don't understand is why anyone would buy a Bigscreen non HD set in 2005 for $1000?

You can get a Widescreen HDTV for a bit above $1000. I remember they had that Toshiba Big Screen at Sears for $1099 I believe last Thanksgiving.

Anyways. Congrats on your sell. I hope the people who bought it are happy with it.

I am still dumbfounded by this whole situation. Then again, back in 1998 people paid $5000 for a purple elephant beanie baby. Nothing should surprise me. I do really miss those days though. They were great for selling just about anything.

P.S. No. Unfortunately, I didn't have the purple elephant.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
One thing I have been thinking the whole time with this situation and I am surprised no one else shares in my sentiment...is that Frank, you said you know these people??

Don't you feel the least bit bad about this? Obviously they are not aware of the real value of that set and you totally took advantage of them.

If you genuinely thought it was worth $1000 or even $800 than its an innoicent thing with ignorance on both ends, but you came here to find out what is was really worth and you found out and still sold it to them for $1k.

I guess there is different ways of looking at it and it depends on how well you know them etc, but it just seems kinda shady to me...and I'd think there is a good chance they will eventually figure out how much they overpaid...or were..."ripped off"...

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Whew, talking about dodging the bullet here, Walmart has a 57inch widescreen HD ready t.v. for 997, and you sell your Mits for 1000 non-hd and 4:3, WOW talking about clueless. Congrads on the sale, how was the picture with cable or satellite?

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin...

When I first decided to sell this thing I didn't know much about the prices of current TVs. I knew they were much cheaper then they used to be, but that was about it. I based my asking price on the following points...

1. I needed to get $1000 out of it so I could afford to get a projector.

2. I paid A LOT more (around $2000) for it a few years a go, so I wasn't going to take much less. I would use it for several more years before I took $600 for it, that's for sure. Not to mention the price of the HDs would be way down by then.

3. There was 50" Mitsubishi in the paper, about the same age, and they were asking $800. I figured another $200 for the 20" of screen is fair.

4. I was thinking that you could get a 40" or so HDTV in the $1500 range. Obviously wrong. As far as I know you still can't get a 60" for anywhere close to $1000.

I didn't realize that the price I was asking was a little high until I posted here. I guess I should've done that first. By the time I posted here they had already made one offer and I told them I was firm on my price. When I went to Walmart and saw the HD 51 incher for $997 I did feel bad, but they were already considering paying that much for mine. Don't these people ever walk through walmart!!?? I didn't want ot renig on the price and tell them I only wanted $600. At that point I felt a little stuck, so i went through with the deal. I know these people just because the wife works at the same company (in the same office), other then that I don't know her too well, besides the casual "hi" in the hall. I did run into her in the hall this morning and she was pumped about the TV. Another co worker was behind her, and evidently closer friends then her and I, he stated how nice of a picture it had and was excited about it too.

I guess bottom line is that IT was ignorance on both sides at first, and I had no intention of screwing them over. I just wanted enough money to feed my addiction. I do feel a little bad now, but what am I supposed to do? give them a mail in rebate:b

I think you also have to take into consideration that most people on HTforum want to best possible video quality. Anything else besides that is considered crap. The average joe, on the other hand, doesn't know the difference and proabably doesn't care to some degree. I think that is the case here. Heck my wife can barely tell the difference between DVD on the HDTV at Walmart and DVD on ours (even though to me it's obvouis). Just look at how many average joes have a HDTV and watch 4:3 format stretched...that drives me nuts, but they don't seem to notice. These people wanted a huge picture...they got it. It would take a 73" screen in 16:9 format to get a fullscreen picture as big as the 60" 4:3. It looks good with DVD and cable, not as good as HD, but they proabably don't care. At least not for awhile.

Sorry about the rant...just trying to get it off my chest.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Oh I'm sure after they tell a few friends about their "great deal", they'll be bombarded with.."YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR A NON-HDTV!!?? ARE YOU NUTS!!"

Hopefully they won't ask for their money back! hahaha!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks