What's new

I'm looking to hookup a car amp to my home audio system ... ideas? (1 Viewer)

Jared Mull

Auditioning
For all you audio gurus!

I've been pondering this idea ... I have a couple extra JL audio 12W6 subs and a Rockford Fosgate power 800a2 laying round the house and I want to hook em up with my current home system, which is Denon1602 receiver and Definitive audio surround system w powered sub. How do you hookup the amp to my power outlet in the wall? Basically I need a way to regulate the sound volume coming from the line out on the receiver (which I know they make a product but don't know what its called), and also a way to supply power (AC TO DC, 120 v to 12 v for example) ... any ideas? Thanks guys! Has anyone done this before, and if so, then how would you recommend doing it and what exact equipment would I need. Someone told me to just go out and buy a plate amp ... ??? Thx!

E

Eric Kahn

You are going to need a Very large regulated power supply to supply the 12 volts (nominal) for the amps, somthing on the order of 20 amps output.

after you get the power supply, hookin up the amps is easy, just go from the pre-outs on the receiver to the imputs on the amps

it would be cheaper to pick up a home stereo amp or higher powered reciever than to get the large regulated power supply

Jared Mull

Auditioning
SO ... should I just go out and buy an amp and hook it up. My question is .. does my Denon 1602 support more than my 5 speaker surround system with sub? I know it has 2 additional a+b channels on the back that I am not using. Someone told me to go for the Crown Audio CE-2000 to power these subs? Does this sound right? Could someone tell me how to use the tape-out or another line out on the back of the receiver to go to the amop and then to the subs. Would I need to put a volume control somewhere? I don;t know all that much about home audio, so all comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

E

Eric Kahn

you would have to look in the manual that came with the denon reciever, I have a yamaha so I can not answer that

A+B outputs are usualy for left and right main speakers, the others would be labeled as to what they are

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at a sim for that driver with unibox with regard to this post
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=35871
If you tune it low (18hz or so) it looks like 200 watts will drive the woofer nearly to xsus ( I'm guessing at xsus of around 15-18mm based on the spec of 11mm xmax ). You could probably get away with any number of receivers that could be had cheaply, or look at something like the qsc rmx-850, had for $299 new from folks like musicians friend or similar discounter. The crown is way more amp than you need for those woofs.
Now if you get interested in a blueprint, stryke HE15, or similar driver, the 1kw+ will come in handy. These drivers can suck up some serious wattage. The qsc with your woofs would probably make a pretty bang-up combo.
Vince

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Don't you have a sub output on your receiver? Use that as it is already crossed over. I assume the 1602 has a sub output. Get a Y splitter and connect the low level RCA output to the low level inputs on the amp(s) or get a RCA-1/4" connector if you use the PRO audio amps like the crown, QSC, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks