What's new

I'm going back to an analog set...a couple of questions... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Joshua,

I really don't think that Jim meant it like you took it, his post seemed ok to me. I can understand people being curious here though, going back to an analog 4x3 after having a 16x9 HDTV is a bit curious.

However, if you feel good about this move, that's great, only you knows what you need right now and you can always upgrade later.

I'm not going to offer any advice except to say that I own a 48" HDTV and the advantages it offers are far beyond any analog 4x3 NTSC set i've ever owned, and my HDTV isn't even a top shelf monitor, i'm talking entry level here. I'll never go back.

:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Then I don't see why HD-DVD should have any meaning for you.

Think of it this way, Joshua: You've come to one of the Internet's largest advocacy sites for HDTV only to tell the HDTV-owning members you don't see the improvement that HD offers over the NTSC format. The members express incredulity. To be expected.

Spending that money on an NTSC-only set is your business. But you tell us you want to hold on to it for seven to eight years "until HD-DVD becomes affordable and mainstream." Why is that even an issue if you don't care for HD?

I can see how the posts could be taken as a challenge. But we'll let it ride. Good luck with your Sony. At least use the 16:9 mode when playing 16:9-encoded DVDs.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Well said Jack.

Although sometimes the difference between some of the Network HD shows and a good anamorphic DVD are hard to spot (Read: Frasier) for the most part the difference can be seen readily (and my eyesight ain't the greatest either)I wonder what HD material Josh has based his opinion on?

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks