What's new

"I'm Dickens, He's Fenster" reportedly coming (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The DVD is probably still coming out, there might be a delay since Leonard Stern passed away. Perhaps they are preparing a bonus feature about Mr. Stern to include on the DVD causing the release date to be pushed forward a bit.
However, after seeing some videos of I'm Dickens He's Fenster on you tube, I've come to the opinion that the show is better off remaining in the vault and left unseen. John Astin is cast to much better advantage in The Addams Family, Marty Ingels is his usual annoying as hell self, and from what I've seen the show has poor writing similar to shows like Car 54, Sgt. Bilko, Dobie Gillis, McHales Navy. The one thing that makes I'm Dickens He's Fenster worth a look today is to see Emmaline Henry prior to when she was Mrs. Bellows on I Dream Of Jeannie. Stan Laurel might have liked I'm Dickens He's Fenster, but that's not a ringing endorsement for me as I'm not a Laurel and Hardy fan.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Lecagr /t/243009/im-dickens-hes-fenster-reportedly-coming/30#post_3858933
The DVD is probably still coming out, there might be a delay since Leonard Stern passed away. Perhaps they are preparing a bonus feature about Mr. Stern to include on the DVD causing the release date to be pushed forward a bit.
However, after seeing some videos of I'm Dickens He's Fenster on you tube, I've come to the opinion that the show is better off remaining in the vault and left unseen. John Astin is cast to much better advantage in The Addams Family, Marty Ingels is his usual annoying as hell self, and from what I've seen the show has poor writing similar to shows like Car 54, Sgt. Bilko, Dobie Gillis, McHales Navy. The one thing that makes I'm Dickens He's Fenster worth a look today is to see Emmaline Henry prior to when she was Mrs. Bellows on I Dream Of Jeannie. Stan Laurel might have liked I'm Dickens He's Fenster, but that's not a ringing endorsement for me as I'm not a Laurel and Hardy fan.

All I have seen of, I'm Dickens, He's Fenster, is clips that were posted on the website dedicated for the show's release. Being a big fan of 50's and 60's television I would like to see it released in its entirety, even if it was not major show from the era. The look back is always interesting to me even if the show turns out to be a misfire of sorts.

All of the other shows you mention, I have, or would like to have. I conclude we have different tastes.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
ChrisALM said:

All I have seen of, I'm Dickens, He's Fenster, is clips that were posted on the website dedicated for the show's release. Being a big fan of 50's and 60's television I would like to see it released in its entirety, even if it was not major show from the era. The look back is always interesting to me even if the show turns out to be a misfire of sorts.

All of the other shows you mention, I have, or would like to have. I conclude we have different tastes. 

I'm into nostalgia and like the old shows too, but not just any show there are many I don't enjoy. Yes it's all a matter of opinion, there are shows I enjoy that others dislike, and vice versa.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
ChrisALM said:
Being a big fan of 50's and 60's television I would like to see it released in its entirety, even if it was not major show from the era. The look back is always interesting to me even if the show turns out to be a misfire of sorts.
I completely agree with this, Chris. Though my main focus is as a film historian, I am definitely an amateur television one and am fascinated by any and all artifacts from the 40's-70's periods of the medium worldwide. Even GRINDL, which is about as bad as you can get for a past American sitcom, was worth my attention, though not my affection. ;)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I understand what you are saying, Glen. Although I certainly don't consider myself to be any kind of historian, I just don't want to see any more of our television history, from the early days up through the 60's, lost due to neglect. I am always happy to hear when an older show gets properly remastered and digitized.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Got this E Mail today:

spacer.gif

Shhh...it's finally happening!

It's been years in the making. Sometimes even we thought it might not ever happen. But it is. Soon. And as our loyal, long-suffering supporter, we wanted you to be the first to know.
13.jpg
You will be receiving news in the next day or so on how you can own "I'm Dickens...He's Fenster" on DVD before the holidays.
This is your official "heads-up" before we announce the news the website link to the public.
So watch your inbox for the next message from us. You'll want to jump on the link and pre-order right away, because we are only doing a very limited run to start with, and will be publicizing it to a large and hungry audience of TV fans and collectors.
Especially since we are including some VERY interesting bonuses, including some real surprises that collectors will love!
The DVD will NOT be available on Amazon until the at least middle of next year. The ONLY way to buy it now is through the website link we will be sending you later today or tomorrow.
Thank you SO much for hanging in there with us.
We'll be in touch shortly!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
But short-sighted network executives prematurely and tragically cancelled I’m Dickens…He’s Fenster at the height of its popularity, after only one season, disappointing millions of die-hard fans.
" prematurely and tragically"? Come on! I'd love to see the ratings as well as the ratings for what was on the other two networks at the same time.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Never mind the circumstances surrounding the series' early cancellation. Did you get a load of all the dvd extras on this thing?? Sheesus--that's the way to do things!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Neil Brock said:
When I see it, I'll believe it.
Do you still not believe it? Or are you waiting to see it in the stores--
I'm not making fun of you, I'm just checking. Because everything they say won't ever come out on dvd ends up coming out anyway. Just wanted to letcha know--

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Put my order in already. Gosh, ethan's right -- the list of extras is extravagant to say the least, especially for under $30 even for just half the season. So why are these dudes able to produce this package of dusty ol' shows, and warner anchoves expects old-film fans to lap up barely re-touched dvd-rs at the same or higher rate? Because we're sheeple?

Lisa Rothstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Lisa Rothstein
No...it's really here-- I'm one of the producers. We were sorry to lose Leonard before he was able to see the series come out on DVD, but he was involved in every stage of production and saw a rough final version before he left us. He was very happy that the public was finally going to have a chance to see this show again. It was his favorite of all his work.

Lisa Rothstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Lisa Rothstein
As a matter of fact, IDHF was winning its time slot against powerhouses Sing Along with Mitch and Route 66 by the end of its only season.( It took a while for the audience to discover the show and to build )But by the time the final ratings came in, network execs had already cancelled the show. They scrambled to reverse their decision but too late because the actors had moved onto other projects. (The same thing nearly happened to Hills Street Blues and Seinfeld )
Because of only having 32 episodes the series never ran in syndication, so now is the first time in 50 years for the public to view this show that was very popular in its day and helped launch the TV careers not only of John Astin but stars like Jim Nabors, Ellen Burstyn, Lee Meriwether, Harvey Korman and more.
Go to http://dickensandfensterdvd.com for more info and to purchase.
Lisa Rothstein Benson
Assoc. producer
P.S. We do apologize for the length of time in this getting out and the on-again-off-again nature of the runup to this release. No one was trying to tease...we ran into a number of hurdles -- old contracts that needed to be unearthed (and the accompanying legal complications) films that needed to be found and restored, and other adventures all contributed to the delay. We hope you will think it was worth it. Leonard Stern did, and so do we.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Thanks for sharing this Ms Rothstein. The emergence of long-lost shows like this and Medic hopefully will be rediscovered and appreciated by fans new and old. I know i'm eager to see the sheningans of Dickens and Fenster.
One question though -- the means that you've chosen to release it, with a members-like pre-release with bonus features -- is that the model you expect to use with the 2nd part of the collection? Is this method of release been successful before, and will your company be following up with other similar projects?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Lisa Rothstein said:
Because of only having 32 episodes the series never ran in syndication, so now is the first time in 50 years for the public to view this show
Not entirely true. The show ran on the Star TV network, which was only on the air for a few months in late 1989-90. Among some of the other series which ran on Star were Henessey, The Big Attack, Lawless Years and several other very rare, seldom seen series. The network was operated by the same folks who initiated the TV Heaven concept in St. Cloud, Minnesota, which was virtually copied by Nick at Nite.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
Do you still not believe it? Or are you waiting to see it in the stores--
I'm not making fun of you, I'm just checking. Because everything they say won't ever come out on dvd ends up coming out anyway. Just wanted to letcha know--
Yes, I believe it. Not my kind of show anyway as I don't care for slapstick. But, if what I say winds up coming out, then I say Hank will never come out! Lets see if that will work with that show.

Lisa Rothstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Lisa Rothstein
We weren't aware of that -- thanks! I guess we'll have to add "virtually the first time in 50 years" to our copy
Re: the run on the Star network -- I suppose that's how the bootleg versions floating around came to be. People VCR'ed it off their TVs.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I"m curious as to why, with a single season of only 32 episodes, this is being split into two releases?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Lisa Rothstein said:
We weren't aware of that -- thanks! I guess we'll have to add "virtually the first time in 50 years" to our copy
Re: the run on the Star network -- I suppose that's how the bootleg versions floating around came to be. People VCR'ed it off their TVs.
Not necessarily. Episodes have been around amongst 16mm film collectors for years. I know of one fan of the series who has all but a handful of them on film. And I would guess that hers are not the only prints out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks