What's new

I'm Depressed.Can you recommend a good comedy DVD to cheer me up (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Although it isn't that time of year yet, I highly recommend my all-time favorite comedy "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". One of the funniest movies I've EVER seen. If the saucer sled scene doesn't at least give you half a grin, then I really don't know what would.

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get it .. I never hear any recommendations for "Skin Deep" with John Ritter (RIP). I'm shocked!

This movie had me going nonstop. It's decently crafted with some solid acting. The stitches have come undone and the glowing has begun :b

I'd highly recommend this title, Mike. All the best on your turn around .......

I also appreciate the Amelie references. What a beautifully quirky movie with great characters, acting, you name it. Ear to ear on that one ....

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Cheer up buddy! :)

Here's some recommendations from moi:

Liar Liar
Twins
The Wedding Singer
Super Troopers
The Mask
Kindergarten Cop
SpongeBob SquarePants Season 1
The Simpsons Season 3
The Family Man
Death To Smoochy

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Wow, someone actually mentioned Let It Ride:)

-Its A Mad Mad Mad MAd World
-Anything Monty Python
-Midnight Run
-Airplane!
-Naked Gun movies
-Better Off Dead
-Big Lebowski

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Paul's "Coupling" suggestion is a good one. I was gasping for air I was laughing so hard during Season 2.

Not as classic as those, but I feel like I found a hidden gem recently in David Zucker's latest, "My Boss's Daughter." It was hilarious! :laugh:

And for silly, ridiculous TV, there's nothing better than "Green Acres: Season One." :laugh:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I could list hundreds, but I'll limit to just a few:

Young Frankenstein
The Court Jester
Blazing Saddles
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Take the Money & Run
What's Up, Doc?
The Princess Bride
The Odd Couple
Grumpy Old Men
Groundhog Day
Galaxy Quest
Adam's Rib
The Philadelphia Story
National Lampoon's Vacation
Airplane!
Mr. Hulot's Holiday
The Reluctant Astronaut

and I could easily list tons more. The problem is that everyone has a different sense of humor, so there's no telling what you might or might not find funny.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
You have to go with "UHF" on this one. The Quintessentail check you brains at the door comedy.

If it's about a woman, I would say "Swingers" it's not as typically funny as some of the other choices, but if is is about a woman it will show you that it's not as bad as you think, and the ending is uplifting.

I would also recommend "Midnight Run" and you can never go wrong with "Caddyshack" as well.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Alive.

(shocked murmurs)

I'm serious. You watch Alive, it sort of puts things in perspective. As bad as things are, at least you're not a plane crash survivor stuck on top of a mountain in the Andes, freezing to death inside the wreckage of your plane, eating the bodies of your dead friends and family to stay alive.

Aside from that, when I'm in a funk, Singin in the Rain or Duck Soup does the trick.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I recommend....Kingpin (1996).

This film is populated by so many total losers that you can't help but laugh and feel like a total champ.

Worked for me...

James D

Second Unit
Used Cars does it for me and you can pick up the DVD for cheap. Also, if you get BBCAmerica, check out The Trailer Park Boys on Thursday night. This is currently my favorite show.:)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Some of the movies mentioned so far are very funny, but may not do the trick if you're really depressed. Here are some diverse suggestions that should just about cheer anyone up.

The Man With Two Brains (romantic goofball comedy with some great lines: e.g. "Into the mud, Scum Queen!")
Carry On Cruising (delightfully charming, witty movie; always works for me)
Not Another Teen Movie (IMHO the best spoof of modern-day pap movies)
Clue (smart ensemble movie-of-the-game with a great cast)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks