What's new

I'm an apple guy (1 Viewer)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I was reading my stock news today and saw this from one of the analysts:

Two tidbits of news today have likely helped reverse the recent decline in Apple (AAPL): The Android platform is growing increasingly fragmented and subject to virus and spyware attack. Apple's "closed" platform for iPhones and iPads is proving to be superior, despite being widely criticized. Amazon's (AMZN) Fire tablet, launched today, uses an extensively revised and customized version of Android. Those who want to develop new apps for Android devices now must contend with dozens of products, each of which work just a bit differently, and now, with the Fire, have a variety of screen sizes. Already it can be said that the Android platform does not provide customers with a consistent user experience, and at the rate Android malware is proliferating and new Android-based products are launching, this could become a nightmare for both users and developers pretty quickly. Meanwhile, the best that can be said of the best Android-based phones and tablets is that they are almost as good as Apple products. Competition is good, but I don't see how any product out there can overtake Apple's commanding lead, ease of use, quality control, and seamless integration among a variety of devices.

This has been my biggest issue with Droid as well. It is getting harder and harder to write a universal app. This to me could be the limiting factor. Where Apples is the fact it is one hardware platform at least until next year where we may see additional options.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think this misses the point though; the argument is one I also agree with.. but the Kindle Fire is kind of outside of that. It's not a matter of a different size/etc. Since it only links with their store and downloads their apps, I'm of the feeling you're going to see quite a few "Kindle Fire Exclusive" / "Amazon Store Exclusive" apps.. ie, they may run on any Android, but they were designed from the get go with the Fire in mind. Remember, as of today, just counting pre-orders (release day today) Amazon has sold more Kindle Fire then any other Android tablet.. and almost all other Android tablets combined.

Originally Posted by dmiller68

I was reading my stock news today and saw this from one of the analysts:

This has been my biggest issue with Droid as well. It is getting harder and harder to write a universal app. This to me could be the limiting factor. Where Apples is the fact it is one hardware platform at least until next year where we may see additional options.

/t/315834/im-an-apple-guy#post_3870837

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's nice to see that the analyst has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

I didn't know my Android devices were so virus ridden. How did this story slip by, oh.... EVERYONE ELSE?

It also appears that the analyst doesn't understand the difference between physical screen size and resolution.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This will sound snooty, but I think if you want to understand technology and the major tech players, one shouldn't read stock-market analysts :) The independent bloggers seem much better..

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
DaveF - Yes, I'm a tech guy so yes I read bloggers as well as lots of other things. Just because he doesn't get all the points exactly right doesn't mean he or she doesn't get that the problems do exist.

Hanson - There have been several malware apps that have affected Droid. Just because you haven't been caught yet doesn't mean that they are not out there.

Here is a great tech article written on the subject if you would like a little light reading.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/pda/reverse-engineering-malware-android_33769

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by dmiller68

DaveF - Yes, I'm a tech guy so yes I read bloggers as well as lots of other things. Just because he doesn't get all the points exactly right doesn't mean he or she doesn't get that the problems do exist.

The blogger's comments were like a movie based on a true story -- there's a kernel of fact in there, but the hysteria and exaggeration of the scope of the problem makes it misinformation. Is there a full blown malware epidemic on Android right now as the writer claims? The answer is no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller68 [url=/t/315834/im-an-apple-guy#post_3870981]

Hanson - There have been several malware apps that have affected Droid. Just because you haven't been caught yet doesn't mean that they are not out there.

There are malware apps out there, but most of them affect users in China and Russia. The only full blown incident in North America was DroidDream. Did that start an avalanche of other malware apps? No.

The actual numbers of people affected by malware on the Android platform is quite small. The number in North America is even smaller. Most people don't use 3rd party app stores other than maybe Amazon, so the only real way for malware to gain traction is to distribute via the Android Market.

The other issue is that when you start small, a increase that's still small can be presented as 76% INCREASE IN MALWARE ATTACKS! That looks more threatening that it really is, which if you're a security software firm like McAfee and looking to sell something, might be considered marketing.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
The two malware apps that I'm aware of for Andriod where both found in mainstream "stores".

Hey, as this has turned into another your full of s#$% my device is bullet-proof conversation so I won't continue. As with before I'm just trying to give information if no one wants it I'll stop posting it. I thought this was a site to share experiences and information. Every time I do so it becomes a flame war. So I will just move on from you so called experts. Go back to just posting the movies I watch and video games I play at least no one comments on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks