What's new

I'll always love laserdiscs, will you? (1 Viewer)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
even on my CLD-99, which believe me is not a slouch as far as LD performance goes.
Actually, ALL U.S. laserdisc players especially the Pioneer Elites are poor performers compared to the high-end Japanese LD players. So unfortunately, yes, the CLD-99 is pretty weak.

You haven't seen what laserdisc is capable of unless it was on the MUSE Hi-Vision players (Pioneer HLD-1000, HLD-X9, HLD-X0, Sony HIL-C1, Sony HIL-C2EX, etc.). All these players have far superior lasers (red-laser as opposed to infra-red), superior laser optics, and Y/C and NTSC decoding. Not to mention the build quality and motor mechanics.

Why Pioneer and Sony failed to release these players here as true "Elite" players (forget the MUSE Hi-Vision component) is beyond me.

If you have a very large laserdisc collection and don't wish to rid of them or replace them, I highly recommend picking up one of these players. The Sony players can be had for $500-$900 , while HLD-X9s start at $1500+

The LD-S9 didn't have the laser/motor improvements, but did have the Y/C and NTSC decoding upgrades which also make an improvement.

While a bad transfer is a bad transfer, more often than not it is poor NTSC decoding inside the player or television unit.

-Brian

Nick

Second Unit
Poeple thought I was rich when I told them I had Laserdisc player back in the 80's. I still watch it sometimes, I had one of those older version so I have to get up and flip the disc.

May be 10 or 15 years from now we'd be saying something like.. OH ! yeah, remember DVD player. I used to have one of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks