if you had $2000... (1 Viewer)

rodney_g

Grip
Real Name
Rodney
Folks,

I would like your opinion.

I have a 1080p DLP TV with HDMI input.

I have a JVC RX-6008V receiver which I bought as part of a HTIB 6 or so years ago (http://books.jvcservice.com/download...4391/21338.pdf) with the small and not-so-good speakers and subwoofer.

I am happy with image quality out of the Toshiba HD-A1. I want better sound. The JVC RX-6008V doesn't have analog 5.1 inputs.

So, for better sound, if you had $2000, what would you say?
- buy a receiver and maybe a pair of good speakers, and later, when you can afford it, buy more good speakers?
- your receiver is ok. What you need is good speakers. Spend all (and maybe more) on speakers.

I don't really want to know what brand, just in principle, what would you upgrade if you were in my situation?

Thank you much,
Rodney

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I'd get a Panasonic XR57 with HDMI (under $300), and Paradigm Performance System 2 (look in this brochure). that leaves you some cash for cables - you'll need and additional HDMI cable (HD-A1 -> receiver -> display) and some speaker cables check at http://www.monoprice.com)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would get a set of these: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
and spend the rest, on a better JVC or Denon receiver. Just know that Denon's remotes are a nightmare. Get a Harmony remote, and life will be simple again....

Not to put FeisalK's suggestion down, but I don't recommend Panasonic to anybody. It's been MY experience that Panasonic stuff don't last. Especially considering what it costs. But, that's just me. I know some people love their stuff.......

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Ed sorry to hear about your bad experience with Pannys - were they by any chance receivers?

The XR series use class-D amps, produce very little heat and should last a long time. I have had mine for close to 3 years now with no problems at all.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

Maybe you're just having bad luck with Panasonic. I can't vouch for any of their receivers, but I've owned TVs, DVD players, phones, etc. etc. from Panasonic over the years and with the exception of one phone that died after 3 years, I've never had a problem with any of it.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I had a dvd player. It was over $300, and didn't even last three years. I could have gotten cheaper, but thought Panasonic was better quality than that, and at that price, it was a higher end, than a lot of others out there. I won't make that mistake again. When I called them, once I started having problems, they couldn't have cared less. With their attitude, and with it not lasting long, I told them I'd never spend another penny on Panasonic, and anyone I could talk into another brand, I would. They didn't care...........
So, I will not recommend Panasonic to anyone, except an enemy! :D

I've had my Pioneer 563a universal player, longer than the Panasonic lasted, and it was about half the price. The quality of the picture on the Pioneer, also blew away the Panasonic. My wife even noticed that! She doesn't notice much, with the HT.........

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Rodney, the need for new speakers is a given and since your receiver is 6 years old and part of a htib, I think you should replace that as well. For $2000 you can afford to upgrade both the speakers and receiver. And as FeisalK mentioned, save a little for better cables and wires. The improvement should be substantial.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For $2000 you could put together a very nice system. I'd start with a Pioneer 1016TX for $399 shipped from Amazon (110 x 7, THX, HDMI switch/pass-through, LCD universal/learning remote). Then I would go with some Swans Diva 2.1 BC ($329 at OZ Home Theater) mains, C3 BC center ($330), and either 2.1 BC or R2 BC surrounds (depending on wall-mount or stand-mount, $330). Then fill out the low-end with an SVS 25-31 PCi or PB12-NSD sub for $550/$600. This would be an absolutely stunning system for $2000 and a perfect compliment for your 1080p DLP and all your HD sources (including those with HDMI).

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-10...597655-1038511
www.svsound.com
www.theaudioinsider.com

rodney_g

Grip
Real Name
Rodney
Hi, all,

Wow! Thank you all for the replies. Great info.

Some of those pricier-looking Swan speakers look awesome, like the Swans F2.2F, which I can't seem to find a price for or a seller.

The Pioneer 1016TX looks great. I went to BestBuy and saw a Sony STR-DG800 for under $400 with HDMI switching. Any opinions on that receiver?

If anyone else has other suggestions, please keep them coming.

Thank you
Rodney

Terry H

Second Unit
What is the use... movies, music or both? If both, what % of each? How big is the room? I just replaced an Onkyo that died after only five years with the Panasonic XR-57 and I love it. I produces more power and has better sound than the Onkyo ever did. At < $300 there is no better bang for your buck. Like many, I never thought of Panasonic as "quality audio" and turned up my nose. Well, I have been amazed. Digital amps will be a force in the market in years to come...
If your main use is movies then don't skimp on the sub-woofer. A quality sub sized for your room adds an "in the theater" dimension to HT that should not be underestimated. Get a quality sub like SVS or HSU (again best bang for your buck) and don't get hung up on matching the brand of your speakers. HTF has a speaker/sub forum and AVS has one devoted to subs. I suggest you peruse both. Good luck with you choices.

rodney_g

Grip
Real Name
Rodney

Thanks, Terry. Those are questions that I meant to answer in the previous post.

The room is 20' x 14'.

Mainly movies, but after having XM Radio for free for 3 months in my car, I got hooked on Jazz/Funk/Instrumental, so I might be buying music, too.

Let's say movies 70% / music 30%.

Call me crazy, but one of the reasons I like HDMI is because one cable does it all. I was about to pull the trigger in the Pioneer 1016, but from what I read, it only switches video on HDMI. It stinks, cause I had found it for $379 shipped from and authorized e-tailer.

Is there any recommended receiver out there in the $400-500 range that switches both video and audio through HDMI?

Thanks to all for the help,
Rodney

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Onkyo SR803 refurbished from eCost for $535 is probably your best bet for full HDMI video/audio switching. The only thing it lacks from something like the SR674 is scaling/upconversion from analog sources (composite, s-video, component).

mackie

Supporting Actor
I would do a combination of Paradigm speakers (because I can hear them before I buy them), Hsu or SVS sub (because they are a great bargain), and I'd spend the rest on a receiver from Yamaha or Denon (because they are very reliable and a good value).

$2000 should get you a very nice sounding system.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Don't forget av123.com (onix rockets), look for their "home theater" deals. I got mine for $2500 with pre-processor/amp, and will put the whole setup against anything under 5K anyday.

-ELmO

Terry H

Second Unit

I don't think there are any. A bit higher and you're looking at Onkyo 674.
I think the new Marantz SR4001/5001/7001/8001 may also do what you require... but I won't swear to it. I was going to buy Marantz SR8001 but decided to hang back for a year or three, until the HDMI mess gets sorted out.

rodney_g

Grip
Real Name
Rodney
Jee!

Ok, no more speakers suggestions, please. Just kidding. When I think I decided on which to listen to for evaluation, a new opinion is posted. I actually am enjoying looking at all the speakers you guys recommended, starting with the Paradigm from the first post to AV123 in the one just above.

There are so many seemingly trusted, good quality, and at the same time affordable choices when it comes to speakers.

Terry, I am beginning to feel the same way about a receiver: wait a while.

But I'm definitely hunting for speakers. Keep opinions coming.

Thank you all for your great help.

When I get the gear, I will let you all know how it sounds.

Regards,
Rodney

edit: in an eralier post I forgot to mention the height of the room: it's 9'. The room has an opening on what would be the left back corner of the home theater. There are two windows on the right side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks