1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

if there was no more new tv/films?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JamesSmith, Jun 23, 2014.

1. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

Dear Guys,Hypothetically, if for some strange reason, Hollywood went out of business an no more new tv shows or films were being made. Would you have enough old or "classic" films, movies, or tv to keep you happy and content?Jthree

2. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

About 95% of the people in this section already watch TV and movies like Hollywood went out of business 30 years ago.

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Well-Known Member

Howie
    Exactly! If it were not for my wife still liking to watch "live" TV I'd have dumped cable years ago...

I have enough unopened product to last several years and with what's opened I can easily make it to the next decade without watching anything twice.

Current count:
    2700+ movies
    330+ TV *series* with ~220 of those being complete. If that were broken down into individual season sets it would easily top 1000.

While I *do* watch a few "new" shows it's *all* on disc and none are watched "live."

Radioman970, David_B_K and Gary OS like this.
  4. Cinescott

Cinescott Well-Known Member

Scott
    Every once in a while, some new stuff comes along that's really good, but it seems to be farther and farther apart.

MatthewA likes this.
  5. jcroy

jcroy Well-Known Member

jr
    Maybe I'm just getting old and groggy, but I find that I have very little to no interest in buying many current tv shows and movies on bluray/dvd. Especially if the writing/acting is kinda mediocre.

I usually open up my new purchases right away and immediately check all the discs on the computer for any technical problems/defects, even if I don't watch the actual show/movie right away.

Keith Cobby likes this.
  6. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Well-Known Member

I have more than enough to watch in my DVD library for decades to come. And while they are from all the decades from the 1950s to the present I have to say my favourite decade is the 1960s. But....there are some new shows that I enjoy watching and I am sure that there will be new shows in the future that I will enjoy watching as well.

Tina_H_V and dhammer like this.
  7. dhammer

dhammer Well-Known Member

David
    I would agree. The 60's was overall the best decade for TV. I have a ridiculously large library and could watch my stuff for rest of my life and be quite happy. There are a few newer shows I like but I also could easily do without them. I am one of those people who hates most of what has been coming out for the last two decades or so. I have no tolerance for immorality and leftest messages embedded in every episode. Many new shows have become nothing more than a vehicle for some message. I want to watch innocent entertainment and not be indoctrinated. Another example of something that annoys me today in movies or television: The young girl who weighs maybe 90 pounds is quickly dispatching a room full of muscular men. They all have supernatural strength and agility. At one point in history you could no longer see an animal harmed. Now you can't see a women harmed. She is always superior and indestructible. But you can kill all the men you like.

LouA, BobO'Link, Gary OS and 4 others like this.
  8. High C

High C Well-Known Member

Andante
    Well-said. That's why I never could get into Buffy, even though I think Sarah Michelle Gellar gave a good performance. I don't care what skills she was imbued with as 'The Slayer,' I just can't imagine someone that petite and scrawny as an action heroine. Same goes for Angelina Jolie in her movies.Also tired of every cop being 'rogue,' 'on the edge' or only on the job because he/she is attempting to avenge the murder/disappearance of a spouse/parent/sibling from years ago. Or it's a manic-depressive/bipolar/insert your favorite psychological disorder FBI or CIA agent.I could imagine pitching a show to a Hollywood executive: 'It's about a male/female FBI agent who is surrounded by a loving family and is good at his/her job of tracking down evildoers.'Hollywood suit: 'So it's science fiction, right?'

Tina_H_V, Retro00064 and Ron1973 like this.
  9. LeoA

LeoA Well-Known Member

Leo
    Modern television is all but dead to me already beyond auto racing (F1, IndyCar, and the Tudor United Sportscar Championship are the three major ones that I don't miss) and the very occasional documentary like one that premiered last night on the Smithsonian Channel about the Boeing 747 (Even documentaries have suffered in recent years with most being of very poor quality).

And with movies, I've seen two this year with Jersey Boys a few nights ago the most recent (I'm a Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons fan) and Captain Phillips a while back (I love ships and Tom Hanks is my favorite actor of recent decades) that I've bothered to watch. And there's a third, I believe called 'Heaven is for Real' or something like that, which I intend to check out someday.

Not exactly something I couldn't do without. 75% of what i watch are movies from the 30's and 40's and tv shows from the 50's and 60's. And most of that other 25% aren't a whole lot more recent. My interest in modern Hollywood largely only rests in preserving the past and getting it out into people's homes.

For tv sitcoms, Frasier is the most recent that I've watched. Heard good things about Everyone Loves Raymond and Gilmore Girls, but never actually watched a episode.

Susan Nunes_329977 and Tina_H_V like this.
  10. Regulus

Regulus Well-Known Member

William Hughes
    It seems the biggest reasons some people don't "Cut the Cord" are:

1. Sports Junkies

2. News Junkies

3. They're Masochists! (They LIKE Modern ("Reality") Programming).

4. Spouse/"Significant Other" is either 1, 2 and/or 3.

Steve...O, MatthewA and Gary OS like this.
  11. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Well-Known Member

Watch it. You're really missing out! I like shows from all decades and I feel that Raymond is a contemporary classic.

BobO'Link likes this.
  12. PaulDA

PaulDA Well-Known Member

Paul
    If it wasn't for hockey, I think I could easily "cut the cord". Netflix, iTunes and discs would more than fulfill my TV needs (as it is, apart from sports, I never watch anything live anyway--I use my PVR). My wife, though, would miss some of the specialty channels we have on cable and while she's not a news junkie, she does like to have the morning news programme on during breakfast.

I still like new stuff, so I'm in no hurry to have Hollywood stop all production, but if it did happen for some reason, I have enough to keep me going for quite a while. And when I ran out, I'd have enough books on my shelf to get me to 2030.

When I started collecting books and movies/TV programmes, I always thought I could get around to all of them reasonably easily. Now, I'm not yet 50 (3 more years to go) and I'm not sure I'll live long enough to get through them. Ah well, at least my children will inherit a sizeable library--a cultural snapshot of the 20th and early 21st centuries.

Tina_H_V likes this.
  13. Steve...O

Steve...O Well-Known Member

Steve
    You can add:

4. Female spouse likes reality TV (anything with "real" or "top" in the title) :)

To answer the OP question: Yes, my collection plus Netflix rentals would keep me happy.

Gary OS likes this.
  14. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    James,Yes. :)

15. Carabimero

Carabimero Well-Known Member

Alan
    I would have no problem with my 6000 DVDs and 400 BDs. I'd say even as things stand now, I'm 70/30 watching my archived content versus "new stuff." What "new stuff" would I miss? Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, really good serialized writing. That is the one thing my classic shows can't compete with: the fact that a lot of really good TV now is serialized. That's where most of the best jobs for writers are, in my opinion--in TV, not the movies. By and large, shows like BREAKING BAD are pound for pound better than theatrical releases. So to answer the question: I would miss some of the really great writing on TV now. But for the most part, I'd be fine.

BobO'Link, Wezzo, Tina_H_V and 4 others like this.
  16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And I feel the exact same way about The Gilmore Girls. Do yourself a favor and watch one of the most intelligently written TV shows in a very long time with characters you will never forget.

And to answer the OP, I've already got more stuff in my collection than I would ever get a chance to watch. But I am determined to try! And much of my collection (like The Gilmore Girls) is eminently re-watchable. :D

17. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    The only "new" thing I watch consistently is Cardinals baseball, stuff on Discovery ID and the Science Channel and some of the documentaries on Smithsonian Channel (love the airplane documentaries and Air Disasters.)

I literally keep the satellite for Hee Haw reruns on RFD-TV and baseball. Past that, I could do without modern TV. Netflix keeps us more than entertained with classic television shows and I still have a bunch of stuff I recorded years ago on VHS that I need to transfer over, stuff that either won't make it to DVD (4 tapes full of Memphis Wrestling) or hasn't made it to DVD yet (later unedited episodes of Happy Days and The Beverly Hillbillies, a night of broadcast MacGyver with station bumpers, etc.).

Gary OS likes this.
  18. John Karras

John Karras Well-Known Member

Lawrence
    If I watched material from my collection that I've yet to see for 8 hours each day, I still wouldn't live long enough to see it all.

19. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Well-Known Member

Tina
    Well, here's an interesting topic. If Hollywood were to go under tomorrow with no new material forthcoming, I would easily consider myself set for life with all I have. Between my movies, TV shows, LP's, CD's, MP3's, books and various other periodicals, my library is full enough as it presently is. Being about as old as PaulDA is, a poignant revelation was just brought about regarding the size of my personal media, b/w the availability to live long enough to enjoy it all. In going over that which I already have in my media library recently, it struck me exactly just how good I really have it living in this time and place as I presently am. Just media-wise alone, I consider myself to be a woman who has a fully enriched life, indeed (I've even had an old boss of mine point that fact out to me more than once).

PaulDA and Ron1973 like this.
  20. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Premium
    Supporter

Carl III
    I probably go to the movies about four times per year, and those occasions are almost always date nights with no emotional connection to the actual movie. With the exception of an occasional over the air news or sports broadcast 100% of my television viewing is internet streaming.Doing without new release programming wouldn't impact me at all because I'm not watching much anyway.