What's new

If the security detector at the store beeps on your way out ... (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When I worked for a dept. store, the security guy said that he could only watch people in the store. Even if they took something off the shelf and hid it in their shirt or pocket book (or whatever), he still couldn't do a thing about it until they actually stepped out of the store.

I'm not sure on the 'still on their property' thing (i.e. in the parking lot), but it seems that it's not about being on their property, it more about taking merchandise out of the store (that's what's illegal). Which makes sense. Technically, I am not stealing if I put a CD inside my shirt and I'm still in the store.

And, of course, we all know the secuirty beepers are more of a way to catch those who don't go to the cashiers. If someone just walks out the door and the alarm goes off, he's most likely guilty.

Now here's another thing. Since you are in the parking lot (i.e. still on their property) I'm guessing that it's probably legal for them to search ANYONE. Obviously it would be bad business for them to do it to every customer, but it's still probably legal. So while everyone could be a possible shoplifter, when the alarm goes off, it just gives them even more reason to suspect someone.

Sure, it may not be your fault, but then you have nothing to worry about.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

I'm going to disagree.

This is all UNLESS they actually watch you steal something.

They can ask for you to hand over your bags for a search, however, if you do not agree to the search, they can not forcably make you had over YOUR bag. That is called stealing. What they can do is this, they can say, well if you won't agree to it then we can ask you to leave our property and if you step foot on it again, or refuse to leave, we'll call the cops.

To make it more concise: they can't steal your bag from you in order to satisfy their curiosity, let alone try to find merchandise on your person which would be a gross violation of your rights and privacy.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I've had this happen to me once or twice. No problem. And I want the safety tag removed anyway, lest it sets off the alarm at another store I'm going to enter.

We're all people, we all make mistakes, we all have to live together.
And I consider it in my interest as an honest customer to help minimizing shoplifting - keeps the prices lower.

"The cashier's incompetence". Right. Have you seen my own incompetence now and then? My mistakes?

And, although I'm certainly no expert on law in the US - or in different states - I assume they can certainly and legally stop you. You accepted their conditions by entering the store and doing business there. And if they can reasonably (an alarm going off and you unwilling to help establish the truth, which you could rather simply) suspect you of a crime, isn't there something like "a citizen's arrest"? To hold you until the police arrives?

Cees

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I understand where you're coming from but I probably would not have acted so rash.

I understand why you returned the CD's, despite it ending up more of a hassle. You were making your decision on pricipal, not efficiency.

However, if I were in your shoes, I'd have probably stopped as soon as I heard the alarm, turn around, hand the bag to the fella that stands near the exit and have him take a look.

Clerks who seem like they don't give a darn are annoying. Just something that has to be dealth with now and then, unfortunately.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

True, but in most states when there's a citizens arrest the person that detains the shoplifter must announce it then show up at the arrainment and act just as the cop that arrested somebody would. And, you can't just arrest people on a whim. Because you're acting like a cop, you too can be charged with false arrest, and other charges. The rules are that in order for you to stop somebody, you must witness a crime. The alarms going off is not a crime as we've all pointed out due to the fact that tags don't always get disabled.

Now, as for my personally. I stop. If there's a long line at the wholesale club, I will bypass it. But if I'm leaving a BB or CC and it goes off, I'll stop. No skin off my back. 30 seconds and I'm on my way.

The only thing I disagree with is the fact that people think that some anybody has the right to detain me for no real reason. I'm am in your store because you invited me. You can't search me unless you've seen me commit a crime. You can't even detain me. Now, it is your property, and I must play by your rules. However, if I don't... that doesn't mean that you can detain and search me. It only means that you can boot me off of your property. If I fail to leave (trespassing), then the cops can be called.

Nobody has the right to illegal search and seizure. Not the cops and sure as hell no Joe6Pack at Best Buy. Cops need probable cause and so do citizens. That probable cause is seeing me take something, bar none.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

To me, this is the worst part of the whole deal.

How dare he eat a PB&J or some Nutter Butters during his (undeserved) thirty-minute lunch without adequately brushing his teeth and/or rinsing his mouth out with mouthwash afterward, hereby subjecting dozens, if not hundreds of customers to the atrocious smell for hours after the fact. George Washington Carver, rest his soul, would be spinning in his grave.

Fuck Best Buy, and fuck their peanut-butter-breath-havin' employees.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
i work at a clothing store, and we just got a new security system implemented (security sensors are sewn into a tag attached to the inside of the item of clothing, rather than one of those plastic ones you often see in other places), but the thing is to desensitize the bag our system hasnt been set up (yet?) to BEEP when its desensitized and we often miss desnesitizing them.

anyway, when a customer sets one off even if we knew they paid for it, we usually help them desensitize it.

i don't understand why people would wanna continue walking to 'spite' the salespeople for forgetting to desenstize. it'll just be more of a hassle for YOU, as you set off the security system at practically EVERY STORE you walk into after with the product.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Like i said earlier it wasn't the security guys fault the alarm went off. How hard is it to look at him and see if he waves you on. I remember once when i was X-mas help at a BB i set off the alarm after work. The guy pat me down then asked to see the bottom of my shoe. One of the damn tags was stuck on my shoe. I didn't mind the guy checking me out...i knew i wasn't a thief, and have nothing to worry about. But its interesting to know you cant stick anything down your shoe. :)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I always just keep walking. I know I didn't steal anything, and I have my reciept. If they want to stop me and harass me they can go for it. I've never had anyone chase me yet.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I purchase used CDs and DVDs at a local store all the time. Just about everytime I walk out the door the alarm goes off. I just keep walking and they never say anything. They don't have anything to demagnetize the DVDs or CDs. I think they just use it when they see a guy walk out that has not purchased anything and then it goes off. I don't know what they do cause they don't have a security guard or loss prevention. Maybe they just copy the license down.

I agree with the OP - those alarms are a pain in the a$$.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
What I always wanted to do is if the alarm beeped when I was leaving the exit of Best Buy, I'd quickly sprint out the exit corridoor, only to circle around & return in running through the entrance.

Just curious to see what the security what do.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
The alarm issues aren't as bad now as they once were. I do find them a lazy method of inventory control. I would be curious to know the ratio of false alarms vs actual theft they identify for any given location.
I frankly am offended by more than just stopping for an alarm. (I am more tolerant now that it is not such a frequent occasion as it once was) I am also offended by long check out lines too. (Let me get this - I want to give them money, and they are making me wait in a long line to do it??!?!)

Sam's club is the most offensive of all - where they check EVERYONE'S receipt on the way out. WTF! What the hell is the cashier for? A presumption of guilt is unacceptable. The "If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" line is a bit too totalitarian for me. Maybe on the way out I should open each item and inspect it to make sure the contents appear as expected - make sure I'm not getting ripped off too. See how they like that!

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

Um, actually, no. I was under the impression that you don't make any mistakes. :)

LewB

Screenwriter

On the plus side, he didn't try to sell me a magazine subscription or a BB credit card.
It was the entire 'experience' with this guy that set me off. The eating, the talking with his pal, the fact that I basically had to put my credit card under his nose to get his attention after the display told me to give him the card. The icing on the cake was the security alarm.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Sam's club is the most offensive of all - where they check EVERYONE'S receipt on the way out. WTF! What the hell is the cashier for? A presumption of guilt is unacceptable. The "If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" line is a bit too totalitarian for me

I agree, since just the people who bought something are punished by having to wait for the receipt check. Somebody who just put something in his pocket but didn't buy anything can just bypass that line- I think that system makes it easier for shoplifters to flourish.

I wonder why Sam's does that but WalMart doesn't.

And if I just went thru the checkout, how could I have put more stuff in my cart AFTER that? There is no merchandise between the registers & the exit.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Fry's checks receipts also. I guess they don't want anyone stealing nose-hair trimmers or candy they have at the registers :)

Someone I know once walked out of Wal-Mart with a TV without paying because only the self-checkout lanes were open and he didn't feel like waiting.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
When I was a clerk at a bookstore, I tried to be as diligent as possible to demagnetize every item, but sometimes, the demagnetizers just don't work that well. Unless you are a customer who sets his credit card, magnetic stripe down, right on the magnet, that is!

Lew's experience with the BB clerk, while aggravating as hell, is, unfortunately, all too common.

After my term in the bookstore, I returned to college because health problems (specifically with my vocal cords) were keeping me from earning a real living.

I took business classes, and to this day, I am still laughing my ass off at the naivete of the Customer Relations class. There was a lot of talk about how important customer service was, all of the methods used to improve service, and "empathy."

Bottom line with most retail stores is the almighty $$$ - in their pockets, not that of their employees. I notice when I go into just about any store, the employees are almost always new, and many of them just do not give a shit. They are not paid enough to make even a token attempt to provide decent service.

It's sad that the almighty $$$ is the major motivation, but clerks and others on the front line of service provision have to take a lot of crap from customers, and many of them take on the attitude that they are not being paid enough to take this crap. So when faced with a customer, even one who would otherwise not be inclined to be an asshole, said clerk will not unbend to provide decent service. It is also sad that most stores barely provide token training to their new employees on customer service, product lines, services, store layout, return policies, etc.

Many stores, even with declining revenues due to a reputation for bad service, still don't give a shit. If they fire one goof off with a bad attitude, there are many others who need or want a job they can choose from.

In short, if a company pays peanuts, it should not be surprised that all they get are monkeys. And they should not be surprised that this kind of crap is driving away customers.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

Sam's Club is whole different story. You've signed up to be a member, and I'm pretty sure I heard that in the agreement you agree to show your receipt when leaving.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Lynda-Marie, I totally agree with your reasonings behind store clerk attitudes. Whenever I am at CompUSA with my friend, she always seems to get frustrated at the help and barks "How come there aren't any helpful people here?". I always have to remind her that if they really DID know that much about computers, they wouldn't be working as a clerk at CompUSA.

Then when she demands that they be more helpful, I also have to remind her that 'minimum wage' employees are going to produce 'minimum effort'. ;)

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
In regards to the parking lot angle, I would suspect that parking lots are NOT the property of the merchant; they are the property of the landlord.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks