What's new

If the rumors are true, iPhone 5 looks like a DUD! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'll buy I but only because we are already fully integrated into iPhone apps and iOS etc.
I will be disappointed if the size change is only a longer screen.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Jony Ive (name?) say that this will be the best design he's ever done? I have a hard time believing the phone will look exactly like a 4S-2 with longer screen.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The only thing that puts doubt in my mind that this is
a controlled leak, is that we have seen countless pictures
of cases that support the rumored design. Are those also
controlled leaks?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/90#post_3955661
So it's an iPhone 4 with a longer screen, not "larger", same design and thickness, and gets some of the things like 4G that other phones have had for a while. Basically it's catching up to the competition?

I know that Sam, bless his little hands, thinks anything over 3.5" is more like a tablet and unusable. But Ron and many, many other users want a larger screen. They want larger icons, larger keyboards, larger fonts, and larger maps.

The speculated 4" screen will give you none of that. None. Taller but not wider gives you none of those benefits.

Of course, if all you wanted was an extra row of icons and a screen AR that matched HDTV material, well then pop the champagne.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We all know Sam opposes everything.

I am with you, Hanson. A taller iPhone
really doesn't satisfy my personal phone
"wants" after seeing the Galaxy III-S.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It won't matter what size the screen is because by the time the 5 is out, Siri will be able to read your mind!
Resistance is futile.
:D

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/90#post_3955818
It won't matter what size the screen is because by the time the 5 is out, Siri will be able to read your mind!

But it will still be faster just to type it.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
It's strange to be in a position where I'm starting to believe that Apple is going to release a ho hum product.
New Dock - Does nothing for me except make my stuff obsolete
Louder Speaker - minor upgrade but if i'm actually watching a movie I use headphones
Better camera - this would be nice
New form factor - longer phone, not larger. Landscape view for web viewing will absolutely suck, will have to stay in portrait. Will be good for HDTV type stuff. Extra row of Icons? Who cares.
Losing the glass back - OK, but still looks like an iPhone 4. The metal back is hardly a great new design from the looks. iPhone 4 was wow factor over the 3. This is not.
LTE - Just like the other phones for the past year
Better Antenna - Mine works fine now
Better glass - OK?
iOS - This is nice, but starting to feel dated.
If Tim Cook pops an iPhone 5 on the screen that looks exactly like the 4S except a longer screen, then consider me bummed. If they are releasing leaks on purpose to fool us, they are doing a good job.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Steve,

I agree 100% with you. That screen needs to be
wider on top of longer.

And for once, I agree with Sam. I don't think it's
gonna happen.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Ronald Epstein said:
/t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/90#post_3955850
I can save you guys time and heartache. If you want a Galaxy S screen buy a Galaxy S.
That's already happening.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't ever recall saying 3.5" is perfect. I've consistently said that Apple doesn't do form factors or features because they have to compete with anyone else. Again if you think Apple is doing anything to compete with ANY Android features you really don't understand how Apple works.
I've also said I don't understand the push to a taller phone. I can't see how it's going to be an improvement. I can't see how it will do anything but frustrate developers and and users alike.
But I haven't written it off yet. And until we see the keynote and hear it from the horses mouth why they think this is an improvement, and if there is anything you can say about Apple it's that their physical changes are carefully considered, anything we speculate isn't going to hit the mark. If anyone thinks they are just making it taller because people like the enormous phablet form factor there is no way they and I can have a reasonable discussion because that's just fantasy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The latest from AllThingsD which, according to MacRumors, has a pretty good track record for such things.
They say they've confirmed a Sept. 12 event from Apple.
Prepare your minds for the Siri takeover!

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Maybe they will surprise us all and release a 5" iPod touch with 3G data and a GPS. No voice minutes, no texting, everything comes out of your data plan just like where the CEO of AT&T said the industry is heading. (yeah, I know...not likely for now)

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm still betting against a taller phone. My bet is, if it's got more pixels, it's larger all around.
I'll being watching from the sidelines until next year at least. We've got to get into our new place this Winter, find out how reception is, and the decide if we stay AT&T or switch to Verizon. And since switching is a possibility, I can't start a new 2 yr contract with a phone upgrade until that's sorted out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The thing that really doesn't jive for me is making a taller phone but also introducing a 4:3 iPad the same day. Apple isn't above mixed messages but you can't get more confusing than that and that would be doubling the developer pain too.
Something just doesn't add up here. time will tell.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPad is 4:3
iPhone is 3:2
Already have a variation in aspect ratio. Taller iPhone would add a third. Also why I like uniformly larger one.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to be in the market for the new iPhone because my AT&T contract is up in December (but I can do a 2 year renewal right now for the full subsidized discount). I'm really torn though as to whether or not I'm going to change carriers. AT&T overall has pretty decent speed and coverage in Los Angeles, but my apartment itself is something of a dead zone for them. Friends I know who have Sprint, Verizon, etc. get good reception in my place. But I know my friend w/ an iPhone 4/Verizon can't do data and voice simultaneously. I assume the 5 will take care of that (if they already haven't with the 4S). Still I recall several years ago when I was deciding on carriers that AT&T had a speed advantage at the time. I wonder if they still do...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks