What's new

If the rumors are true, iPhone 5 looks like a DUD! (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think the screen protector is more important than the case. I have the same case as everyone else, but I"m one of the few that has a good screen protector. I"m also one of the few that has never broken a screen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't use a case or protector. But I'm aware of the reports of cracked phones. And the caseless phone can be a bit slippery.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I took my case off months ago and after dropping it man times I finally broke the glass on the front today when I dropped it in Target.
It still works because the glass only broke on the bottom near the button. The only problem with that is now I can't get any value when I trade it in before buying the next one.
Are there any places to get front glass replacement.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Two things I'd like to talk about....

First, to Tony, sorry to hear about you dropping your phone.

I am very surprised as to how fortunate I have been with my
phone. Have yet to drop it. All I have it encased in is the
rubber bumper. That rubber bumper does provide excellent
grip so that the chances of it slipping out of the hand is minimal.

Second...

Hope I am not being blasphemous by saying this...

One of my co-workers just bought the Samsung S3.

What a gorgeous phone. Love the screen size. Even the
new iPhone 5, according to rumors, will not be as large.
For some, of course, that may be a blessing.

On looks alone, I would very much consider giving up
the iPhone for the Galaxy S3. However, Apple still seems
to excel over everyone else with its OS, Siri and App Store --
not to mention fluid integration with Apple desktop and laptop
products -- so for that reason, I am not going to abandon
the iPhone brand this fall.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Don't forget whatever investment you've made in apps would be lost. This is one area that Android COULD use as a competitive advantage but so far doesn't really seam to have. Buy an app for one phone and get it on tablets, fridges, whatever from a dozen different manufacturers and in a million form factors....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like the bumper, but it doesn't work with my car adapter. So I'm ceaseless for a year now.
As for switching to Android...its surprisingly difficult to find info on that phone. Samsung's site gives little info on my iPad, and the tech radar review had a next page link after every paragraph (practically) :) But I gather it's a 5" android phone.
Soi think you should get it and report back. And then went the next iPhone comes out (this fall?) you can compare to that!
Sams right about the lock-in. For me, a new system can't merely be better than iOS, it has to be tremendously better. Im wholly invested in apple now, me and the wife. Switching to a new platform, buying and learning all new software...I'm in now for a while even if Apple loses relative quality to android or Microsoft or whatever.
So give it a go,and let us know!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The iPhone 5 will have to be tremendously better than my 4 to get me to upgrade. Why? Because in upgrading I'll likely lose my unlimited data plan (unless AT&T still allows grandfathering, I know Verizon killed it a while back).
That said, if the new phone is a home run, I'll gladly make sure I'm on wi-fi most of the time. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
All I keep thinking about is the CEO of Foxconn
and what he said on June 20th...

Foxconn CEO Terry Gou reportedly urged customers to hold
off on buying the Galaxy S III, saying the next iPhone will put
Samsung's flagship phone to shame, according to the China Times,
which was quoted in English by Focus Taiwan on Tuesday.

THAT is something to look forward to.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
The iPhone 5 will have to be tremendously better than my 4 to get me to upgrade. Why? Because in upgrading I'll likely lose my unlimited data plan (unless AT&T still allows grandfathering, I know Verizon killed it a while back).
That said, if the new phone is a home run, I'll gladly make sure I'm on wi-fi most of the time. :D
I have that "unlimited" ATT plan too. However, after you use 2-3 gigs they throttle your speed so slow that it's almost unusable (I've read, never attemped). I used to think I would be sitting pretty when 4G came out and would basically of been grandfathered with unlimited plan and great speed. That will not be the case.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I was just at an AT&T store the other day and got the opportunity to play around with the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note and I have to say, I came away very impressed. I am currently using a iPhone 4.

Of course, you still have to deal with an app store that doesn't have near the quality or security of the iOS app store. As well as having to wait on Samsung for OS updates. Of course, going with the Galaxy Nexus from Google gets around the OS update issues and I hear that it is a nice phone as well.

I am really hoping Apple is going to surprise us with something on the iPhone 5 that we haven't heard about yet.

-Keith

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I agree Keith. Apple is still an amazing product, but they need to step it up on some areas. I'm buying the iPhone 5 regardless, but who knows where we will be 2 years from now.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In case you missed it over the weekend:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/29/new-purported-next-generation-iphone-part-photos-show-fully-assembled-device/
And:
http://www.imore.com/apple-iphone-5-and-ipad-mini-event-planned-september-12-iphone-5-release-date-september-21
Still not sure what to think about the new form factor. But either way I think this will be far from a dud....
If all the rumors are true, and who knows, this is a pretty solid list:
New Dock
Louder Speaker
Better camera
New form factor
Losing the glass back
LTE
Better Antenna
Better glass
iOS
Doesn't sound like a dud at all, sounds like my next phone.... Again, remember this could ALL be smokescreen, or not. Remember that super thin prototype iPhone that allegedly leaked before the 4s? And never surfaced. Wouldnt it be a hoot if that's what we saw this time around instead, imagine the cry of disappointment =)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It would only have been a dud if it didn't have the
larger screen form factor which is what the original
rumor was, and thus the title of this thread was based
upon.

What has been revealed since goes against the grain
of the original rumor.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
That new Galaxy is looking pretty sweet. I hope they hit this one out of the park. I still think they should be making the lame home screen button smaller and fitting more screen into these phones. I'll be getting this phone, but less excited. So it's an iPhone 4 with a longer screen, not "larger", same design and thickness, and gets some of the things like 4G that other phones have had for a while. Basically it's catching up to the competition?
Like I said, I'll be buying this phone but right now my excitement has gone down. If this is all they are doing then 3 years from now when the iphone 6 comes out they may have lost some marketshare to things like the samsung galaxy.
My Coworker, who is a Android Nexus user and hates Apple, believes this is all smoke screen and that the iPhone 5 is well under wraps and will blow everything away. I have not followed rumors long enough to know if this is possible, but what we see now seems pretty convinving and would lead me to believe he's wrong.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One thing I'd really like, and I realize I may be in the minority, is a stronger vibration for when the phone is on silent, or ideally to be able to control the strength of the vibration. I can't count the number of times I put the phone in a pocket on vibrate and I never sense it going off. I have to keep in on silent all day because of work, and I listen to my iPod on my walk home, so I wouldn't hear the phone ring anyway, so I keep it on vibrate in hopes that I'll feel it when someone calls while I'm listening on my iPod and I never do.
Years ago (like 5) I have a Crackberry which was a terrible phone, but I could always feel the vibration of a call when it was on silent. I realize that a stronger vibrate feature might be detrimental to the internal components, but maybe if the Apple engineers could find a middle groung - slightly stronger shaking without harming the internals...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
My Coworker, who is a Android Nexus user and hates Apple, believes this is all smoke screen and that the iPhone 5 is well under wraps and will blow everything away. I have not followed rumors long enough to know if this is possible, but what we see now seems pretty convinving.

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]I sort of believe the same thing.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]Remember, the CEO at Foxconn said this phone will blow the Galaxy III-S away and cautioned people to wait.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]So far, however, there isn't anything here that's putting the Galaxy III-S to total shame.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]There was a lot of supposed leakage on the Retina Macbook Pro. I don't[/COLOR]
believe anyone fully got it right prior to its announcement.

I would prefer a wider and larger screen myself.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't be surprised if it was a "controlled leak" - meaning that Apple may have suspected a leak and purposely put out a fake product to test if the leak was going to come from that source.
While I have no problem with the leaked version above, it doesn't strike me as revolutionary. Remember though that the Foxconn president has a reason to try and kill GIII-S sales because of the animosity between their companies, so he maybe doesn't have all the information either (or is just using rampant speculation to dampen the launch of the GIII-S).
But yeah I'd be surprised if that's the final design. I think the form factor may be right (screen size and thickness). But Apple made a stunning looking all black (or white) with glass design and going back to a brushed steel design is taking a step backwards. Unless they're tired of replacing glass from dropped phone ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks