What's new

If Money was no object... (1 Viewer)

Rallo

Auditioning
If money was no object...what speaker system would people go with for a dedicated HT room with the dimensions of 18x15?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If money were no object, I would be tempted to go with the Theater Wall by Aerial Acoustics. Certainly not the most expensive thing out there, but very good setup in a turn-key solution. FYI -- my understanding is that the guy behind Aerial Acoustics was formerly a speaker designer for B&W.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I'd need a much larger room to make it work, but if money was no object I'd go with either Magnepan 20.1s or DeVore Fidelity Silverbacks all around with an Oasis monoblock for each channel :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
IMO that size of room doesn't need more than a 5.1 system, so:

Four of these, one of these and this.

(Very) detailed Project Array press release.

JBL has been building commercial theater systems for decades, so I figure they know more about them than many other companies.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

A 15" subwoofer with a -3db limit of 25 Hz? Odd.

If money was no object, I would audition as many speakers as possible...

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I've seen these threads before, and eventually someone mentions getting 5 Wilson Alexandria-X2 or something equally outrageous.

The Wilson Alexandria-X2 is similar to a high-end ferrari. (I was going to say it's the Ferrari Enzo of Speakers, but IIRC, Wilson makes a even higher end pair.) It's outrageously expensive. There's a wait list. Only a few are made. It may just be overrated.

To add to the problem-- certain features of the speaker (professional setup with room analysis, matched electronic components) that add a great deal to its desirability and price, are geared towards stereo listening, and are less effective in home theaters.

Make sure that the room is noise free. Why should your home theater have to compete with the hum of an air conditioner, or the rumbling of a nearby truck?

SethH

Senior HTF Member

That's a good point. I guess if money was truly no object, I would simply buy every speaker manufacturer I came across and have them all working for me. If none of their speakers pleased me, I would get the best engineers from each and have them make me some new speakers :)

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
HA now we're gettting ridiculous. but i saw V for Vendetta in IMAX and wow. it was ridiculous, the ammount of bass was amazing. hehehe its kind of addicting

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
ok back to reality for a second. you should check out JBL's Synthesis website you might be interested in HT setup. JBL puts the most speakers in professional theaters.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Given the OP's modest sized room, I would probably follow in the foot steps of Tom Nousaine. 5 (or 7) idential self powered mains, (with something like a Lexicon MC-12), and either in an In Basement sub, or a couple of SVS PB-12/Ultras.

Let's not forget the OP's room dimentions of 15X18. We need to think small so he has room for that Front Projector.
Then again, using the new, totally transparent version of the Magnepan 20.1 would probably work :).

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, on a more serious note, you might consider some of the high-end offerings from Genelec. They are relatively small speakers, but sound incredible. They are very frequently used in recording studios.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
nice...

Money? where does money come into this? :) It's no object, remember?

Pick the subwoofer that is best for the room, regardless of price. It may be expensive. It may be affordable (like the hsu). But in our little scenario, that's a piddling detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks