What's new

If J6P were to embrace widescreen... (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think the main reason so many get upset about J6P preferring P&S is that it affects what types of DVD's get released. If there were next to no interest in P&S, it would quickly die off.

But on the calibration thing, hey, that's their business. If they want help in adjusting it properly, that's one thing this board is here for. If they don't care, oh well.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
a point I dont think anyone brought up is ..

(I apologize if Im repeating someone else)

if JP6 all use uncalibrated TVs..and to the DVD studios "market research" shows that this is infact true..then perhaps they may find it "profittable" to increase/decrease the brightness of all future DVDs (etc.)

I could see a JP6 complaining that recent DVDs have been too dark or too bright (since their TVs arent properly calibrated.) And studios releasing DVDs with color/contrast/brightness settings based on an assumed settings of improper tv settings.

see what I mean?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I could honestly care less how someone else uses their home theater or DVD/TV combination. The widescreen/OAR question affects ME because calls for P&S transfers reduce the possibility of my getting my favorite films on DVD in their OAR. Someone else's misuse of contrast has no effect on my life.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I could honestly care less how someone else uses their home theater or DVD/TV combination. The widescreen/OAR question affects ME because calls for P&S transfers reduce the possibility of my getting my favorite films on DVD in their OAR. Someone else's misuse of contrast has no effect on my life.
True enough. JOHN, isn't that pretty much what I said above?
:)

DeeF

Screenwriter
No one ever mentions another difference between a widescreen movie shown in OAR, and its full-screen, pan and scan, partner.

The OAR display shows the whole picture, but everything is smaller.

If you've got a huge set, or a projection television, this is a non-issue. But if you're watching on a 27" (fixed size) television, or smaller, the picture is really too small (I'm really talking about a scope feature, a really wide one like "Ben-Hur.")

I watched "Ben-Hur" in its widescreen glory (although this has been fudged a little bit) and then I watched the documentary that came with it. The documentary is in 4:3, but it contains clips from the movie (which I had just watched), cropped to 4:3. These clips were more vivid than the movie, because the closeups were that much larger, and showed more details.

A movie theater can adjust its screen size, according to the aspect ratio of the movie shown. A wider movie requires a wider screen. But for the most part (the exception being projection systems) the television/display at home is a fixed size, meaning, widescreen movies which are meant to be wide, encompassing a wider field of vision, are actually smaller on this fixed size display.

So the aspect ratio problem is never going to go away, unless we can deal with this issue. I think it is a much bigger problem than worrying about distracting black "bars."

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have a question: How will enetertainment companies of the future differentiate the term "Full screen" when they stop cropping to 1.33:1, and start cropping to 1.76:1?
watching a pan & scan movie on a 16x9 will cause black side bars. watching a pan & scan 1.78 cropped movie will cause letterboxing on 4:3 tv's. How will disney market new technology!??!
The real question: How do we, the keepers of the OAR, differentiate from "Widescreen, enhanced for 16x9 televisions" and "widescreen, enhanced for 16x9 televisions"? OAR movies (assuming a ratio of more than 1.37:1) and "new" pan & scanned 1.78 (for widescreen tv's), could both be called "Widescreen", couldn't they?
If anybody left can understand this rambling question, feel free to answer:)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If you've got a huge set, or a projection television, this is a non-issue. But if you're watching on a 27" (fixed size) television, or smaller, the picture is really too small (I'm really talking about a scope feature, a really wide one like "Ben-Hur.")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks