What's new

If it were up to you, which would you choose? (1 Viewer)

Abby

Grip
Newbie, here. I'm tired of listening to FotR and hearing static whenever the sound gets loud or high-pitched. So I've decided I need better speakers than the ones on my tv. Problem is, I don't have the patience to test or brain-power to consider all the options. Price comparisons are about all I have the will for. I don't need whiz-bang or lots of power. I just want to hear most of what's going on. It'll go in my bedroom which isn't that big (I'm nearsighted anyway, so I'm close to the tv). Eventually though, I'll want a full system.

Through my father, I have access to the PX's no-tax, low price, shipping included prices.

Here's what they've got (I'm assuming they are all in pairs, though not all the descriptions say so)--Should I get a HTIB (PX has them too) or go with one of these and expand later if I get the opportunity? (rank them in case they've run out of something.)

KLH
300W Surround System - $79 (front and center speakers)
TW09B 2-Way Twisty Speakers - $59
AV1001 5 1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers - $39
325-II Bookshelf Speakers - $79 w/ 525-II Deluxe Center Channel Speaker - $79

JBL
N28II Northridge Series 8" Bookshelf Speaker - $279
N26II Northridge Series 6" Bookshelf Speaker - $179
N26AWII Northridge Series 6" Bookshelf Speaker - $229
N24II Northridge Series 4" Bookshelf Speaker - $149
N24AWII Northridge Series 4" Bookshelf Speaker - $189
S26II "The Studio Series" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers - $289

Cerwin-Vega
V-5M V-Series 5" Two-Way Bookshelf Speakers - $109 w/
V-5C V-Series "Two-Way Center Channel Speaker" - $89.00
LS-5 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers - $139

Kenwood
KS-P150AV "Bookshelf Surround Speaker Package" - $149

Infinity
Entra One Bookshelf Speakers - $249

btw, is there a way to tell if your outlets are grounded? Other than opening the socket up, that is?

Thanks!

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Of those choices I would choose either some JBL speakers or Infinity. They're both pretty good qualitly for the price. If you decide to get some JBL's is it possible for you to order online? jandr.com has all JBL speakers at a discounted price and free shipping. They're an authorized JBL dealer. If its possible for you to order online then if it was me I would get (4) JBL S-26II at $199 a pair and then the S-centerII for $170. But you didnt say if you wanted 5 speaker surround sound or not. You also didnt say what your total budget was and whether or not you needed a receiver. If you want the full 5.1 sound then you'll need the 5 speakers and a sub. The HTIB's they have at the PX might be the easiest way to go for now if they include a receiver, 5 speakers and a sub. Any idea what brand HTIB's they have?

Abby

Grip
Right now, all I need are two speakers that won't give me static. The only thing that worries me is if/when I fill out the system, will the "old" speakers be worn out in comparison to the "new"? I hesitate to get a full system given that I'm watching tv while lying in bed and I figure that makes a nightmare for getting the right set-up (even if the bed is taller than normal, putting my head at about seated head height). In two years, when I've got my second Masters and finally have a job, I can think expanding. Plus, I've only got two outlets in my room, so with a fan, room Air Conditioner, 27" tv, DVD player, VCR, and lamp, I'm afraid I'll overload something.

As for price, I wouldn't list it if I weren't willing to buy it. Oh, and I can buy online at the PX.

In HTiB, they've got (amoung a few others)...

*Audiovox (DV1200S) DVD Home Theater System w/Built-In Receiver - $279

*Cerwin-Vega (AVS-632) 6-Speaker Home Theater System - $279.90

*JVC (TH-A35 DVD) Home Theater Package - $369.00

*Kenwood (HTB-605X) Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver and Speaker Package - $479.00

*KLH (MP06HT) 6-Pc. Home Theater Speaker System - $229.00

*KLH (SE6000) 7-Pc. Home Theater System - $299.00

*Philips (MX99937) Digital Home Cinema System - $389.00

*Pioneer (X-HTD5) DVD Home Theater Package - $349.00

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't recommend any of those HTIB's but they would be better than you're TV speakers.
So if you get two new speakers what are you going to use to drive them? Will you also need a receiver?
If you got either the JBL S-26II's or the Infinity Entra's you would be very happy with the improvement.
Surround sound with 5 speakers wouldnt be too much of a problem because you could use two small satellite speakers for the rears and just mount them on the wall behind your headboard.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You do need some sort of amp though is you're gonna get lone speakers like the JBLs (which are very popular). The cheapo packages would be a simple one-stop buy with marginal quality, although far better than the TV. You could pick up a cheap stereo receiver(used perhaps) and some Paradigm Atoms for $189, and you'd smoke everything listed. You could even get a cheap surround receiver, and add on more speakers as you go. Nothing i've ever heard beats the value of the atoms. They still shock me when i hear them hooked up to my friend's computer. Go listen.

Abby

Grip
Actually, I watch my tv from the side of my bed, not through my feet--if you get the picture.

Hmm, could have sworn they had receivers, but all I see are waaaaay out of my price range. (we're talking over $700) Do I need a receiver if all I'm getting are two sats, or can I plug them into my DVD player? What's a decent receiver for JBLs around $200?

Oooh, jandr has the JBLs cheaper than the PX. Thanks, Bill_Wil :)

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
If you want a decent full featured reciever for under $200 that will allow you to expand to 5 speakers in the future I would recommend either the YAMAHA HTR-5540 ($180) or the SONY STR-DE595 ($170) from jandr.com

Abby

Grip
Cool, thanks!

Question--is using two front sats and a center w/ reciever possible? If so, is that in stereo (virtual surround) or DTS?

Okay, two--any suggestions on audio cable?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
is that in stereo (virtual surround) or DTS?
Neither, strictly speaking. "Virtual surround" is simply digital processing which gives the illusion of having surround speakers coming from a front pair, which is never as effective as actually having two speakers towards the side or behind you.

"DTS" (Digital Theater Sound) is an encoding format, which typically gives 5.1 channels (or nowadays 6.1 as well), the 5 channels being front left/right, centre, and surround left/right, and the .1 being the subwoofer for low bass.

Abby

Grip
Neither, strictly speaking. "Virtual surround" is simply digital processing which gives the illusion of having surround speakers coming from a front pair, which is never as effective as actually having two speakers towards the side or behind you.
What I meant was, on the DVD's menu (FotR being a good example), do you select Stereo or DTS?

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Abby

You would probably want to select stereo and have the sound come from just the L/R main speakers. If You select DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1 you will lose the sound thats getting sent to the rear speakers since you wont have any connected. But I suppose the front sound stage would sound better with the three channels in front and using DTS. I never tried it with just the three fronts.

Abby

Grip
Makes sense.

Okay, so this is what I've got so far.

JBL N26II Northridge Series Speakers (Pair)
SONY STR-DE595 A/V Receiver
MONSTER CABLE OMC15 15' pair of Original Monster Speaker Cable

Thing is, I don't need 15 feet of speaker cable for front speakers. But the big question is, do I have to buy separate inputs or will the wire fit into the receiver and speakers as is?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Okay, two--any suggestions on audio cable?
Do not spend all that $$$ on Monster Cable. Go to your local hardware store and get some 12 gauge lamp cord. This will be perfectly adequate. Cut the wire to the length you need (and strip 1 cm of insulation off the ends). To connect your DVD player to the receiver, you will need a digital interconnect. Depending on your player, this could be optical, coax, or both. Check your manual to determine what you need. Radio Shack Gold and AR are two inexpensive quality interconnects (again, avoid Monster cable).

AaronJB

Second Unit
JBL or Infinity, although if you want a more affordable (but still awfully good for the price), check out Onkyo's SKSHT-500 speaker set, which is available for $250ish at Circuit City.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
If you havent already bought the Monster cable then dont. Like you said, you dont need 15' and that particular cable comes with angled "stems" on the end which you dont need and just gives them a reason to charge more money.
Go to Home Depot or WalMart or any place like that and pick up a spool of speaker wire. Anything from 12 to 16 gage will work fine. Its under $20 for 50 feet. You could probably find a 20 foot spool or you can have it cut to whatever length you want at home depot. Just make sure you get a little more than you need. When you get home use some wire cutters/strippers to cut the length you need, strip the ends of the wires and wind the strands nice and tight. You dont want any loose strands sticking out. Then just connect the speakers to the receiver. Just make sure you connect + to + and - to - obviously. The speaker wire is usually marked by having writing along just one side or having the two sets of wires different colors like gold and silver to make it easy.
I sent you a PM the other day but it probably didnt work because the site had data base problems the other day. Good luck.

Abby

Grip
Oh, no fears, I didn't buy the Monster Cable.

I went to Target today and went ahead and got 20 feet of 14 gauge speaker wire.

My reciever and speakers arrived in my city today around noon, so maybe I'll get them tomorrow.:D

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know how old your TV is but does it have audio-out jacks? If so then connect it to the receiver with a standard L/R RCA type audio cable and you'll never have to listen to those TV speakers again. ;)

Abby

Grip
Okay, speakers and receiver have arrived and the quest to figure out what to imput where and output there is on.

Questions--can you component output from your dvd player directly to your tv or do you need second cables? How do you get the reciever's menus on your tv if there are no video cables? Can you use cheap cables if your tv have separate video settings (I've got so many imputs, the tv just has separate "component" and video 2 and video 3 (aka vcr) settings)? Or do you just use the LCD display?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks