1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

If I only have DVE-HD Basic (Blueray) ,can I use the CMS in the projector?How to use CMS?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Gregg Loewen, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Another reader from China Home Theater Magazine asks: If I only have DVE-HD Basic (Blueray) ,can I use the CMS in the projector?How to use CMS? Answer: CMS stands for Color Management System and each manufacturer makes different implementations of this in their product offerings. CMS is for manipulating the color gamut or shades and intensities of the colors. The primary colors are: red, green, and blue, and the secondary colors are: yellow, cyan, and magenta. You cannot use the CMS when utilizing DVE-HD Basic on BluRay. The disc does not have the patterns on it to measure the R,G,B,C,M,Y colors. If the BluRay disc did have the correct patterns on it you would also need proper instrumentation to measure the colors. THX standards requires a spectroradiometer for correctly measuring colors. Generally speaking, Color Management Systems have specific controls to adjust each color’s saturation, hue, and brightness. During the THX Video Professional Program we spend an entire day teaching and practicing the correct techniques of CMS manipulation. Gregg Loewen