What's new

If Faroudja is the Pentium4 of DVD players who is the Athlon ? (1 Viewer)

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Don,

I was wondering. You always say the XP30 has the Faroudja chip. Yet on Secrets shootout they list the chip maker as Genesis. What chip doest the XP30 actually have in it?

Thanks

Danny

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony,

Did you change TV or cables when you replaced your JVC player with the Onkyo 301?

I was bumming around at an electronics store yesterday and had a chance to compare the Onkyo 301 with a cheapo JVC player and I can't tell any difference in PQ between the two.
I don't know what chip the Onkyo uses but I doubt it is much better, if not the same as the sub $100 players out there.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would love to know if the Genesis chip is made by Faroudja? Because on there web site they say that they make a chip called Genesis. I wonder if it is a coinsidence that they use the same name or is it a lower line Faroudja chip?

anthony_b

Screenwriter
James, as you know a store is not the best place to compare units....The JVC's film performance was good, my biggest gripe was with the "video" DVD's, they were horrible. The JVC was very tweakable and after a few adjustments it was decent. Although the Onkyo is not as tweakable, out of the box it was very good, I also ran the DVE Snell & Wilcox patterns in progressive mode and I was very impressed. From the resolution section I was able to read every single letter/number/symbol on my 48 inch screen from 10 feet away.

Hometheater mag in Oct.03 confirmed my findings...:emoji_thumbsup:

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The company "Genesis" bought the original Faroujda company a while back, so nowadays it can be called Genesis, but usually its called Genesis' Faroujda DCDI chip or similar. When the XP30 and the other older great players came out it was still known only as Faroudja however. Don't confuse it with other other Genesis chips before the merger however - they were not in the Faroudja's league, models like the old Panasonic RP91 used a Genesis chip that had poor de-interlacing for example. You can differentiate by if the model has the DCDI feature, which is unique to the Faroudja line. So a "Genesis" chip is not necessarily a Faroudja model it could easily be a different lower quality one since Genesis just bought the designs from several other companies. There are newer versions of the Faroudja, for example the one in the Denon DVD-910 and DVD-1200 models is different than the one in the XP30. The newest is in the brand new top-of-the-line Denon model.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone ever attempted to make an arguement that the new Faroudja chip is better than the old one? Just wondering.

Danny

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No, the de-interlacing function appears to be the same. The newer one just offers a few other features not better quality.

John S

Senior HTF Member
This thread is responsible for me order'n one of these DCDi players for myself.

I hope the ultra bargain Sharp player can do it justice.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hmmm... Just when I thought I knew something about DVD decoding chips, I read this thread and see I know jack sh!t!!!. So Genesis is now Faroudja, and there are many variations of Faroudja, and DCDi is the important chip to have if you're interested in scalers. Is there a nice list of Faroudja chips we can look over to see what features they all have?

- Mike

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You can go to http://www.faroudja.com and look over the technical product data they have posted there. Notice at the Faroudja website it says "Faroudja a Division of Genesis Microchip Inc." to make it perfectly clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks