1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

If at first you don't succeed "Out of Africa" done right - List of discs in need of correction

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by GMpasqua, Apr 7, 2012.

1. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Well-Known Member

Greg
    Universal did the right thing: They remastered "Out of Africa" for the 100th Anniversary release - after the original blu-ray was meet with negative reviews regarding quality.
    Universal is even offering an exchange if you bought the first disc!!

Though Universal did not do the same with "Spartacus" wonder why?

Maybe? If these titles keep appearing on these types of lists - something will be done to fix them and buyers will know which titles to avoid

Discs in need of an upgrade (along the lines of "Out of Africa") and buyer beware:

Patton
    The Longest Day
    (Rumor has it Fox has been working of new masters of these two films)

Spartacus
    My Fair Lady
    The Greatest Story Ever Told

others?

2. Guest

West Side Story
    Lord of the Rings (TE, first movie especially)

3. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    Pandora And The Flying Dutchman

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Gulliver's Travels (1939).

One-Eyed Jacks.

5. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    The Big Lebowski

How is the Bullitt BD?

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Practical Magic--yikes! What a mess!

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I thought Bullitt looked very good, but I admit I haven't watched it in some time, so it may not stack up to the best recent Blu-ray releases.

8. fxrh

fxrh Well-Known Member

The Blu-ray of Bullitt is decent, but there's a dreadful editing mistake during the chase scene that was inadvertently introduced in this latest transfer. The original film contains a shot where the bad guys' vehicle rounds a San Francisco street corner too quickly and careens into a parked car. There are several very quick cuts at the moment of impact where black frames have been inserted. These create an unexpected strobe-like effect that increases the sense of impact. I had often pointed out this shot to friends, praising its cleverness.
    The black frames have now been removed and replaced with the very beginning of the shot (before the bad guys' car comes into frame) and the damaged car is magically restored! I suppose that somebody working on the transfer thought that the strobing effect was a mistake and proceeded to "correct" it. Oops.
    The previous versions of Bullitt on tape and DVD leave this shot unmolested, preserving the strobing effect.

9. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett Well-Known Member

You could also add Gangs of New York, that had a disappointing initial release and was then remastered.
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl had a framing issue during the blacksmith duel, that was addressed with a re-issue.
    Saving Private Ryan had a sound glitch that was corrected with a re-issue.
    I know the initial release of Traffic had some issues, but have not really followed that one closely.
    Again with The Fifith Element, problems with initial release that I believe were addressed.
    So, thank you HTF and AVS communitites for remaining vigilant for sub-standard discs.
    Thank you Film Studios for addressing the issue with: Gangs of New York, Pirates of the Caribbean, Saving Private Ryan and Out of Africa
    I caved and brought West Side Story, as I don't see a fix coming for a long time if ever.
    I will happily buy Patton and Spartacus when they are fixed.
    Off the top of my head, the following disc purchases are on hold awaiting fixed versions: Animal House, American Werewolf in London, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The Thing.

10. NY2LA

NY2LA Well-Known Member

Scrooge - missing overture.

11. Ray H

Ray H Well-Known Member

Ray
    There's a ton of movies that look like crap on BD and could benefit from a remaster. Unfortunately, most of them just don't get the attention that these higher profile debacles get.
    Here are the sorriest looking titles in my collection:
    The 40-Year-Old Virgin
    Dark City
    The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (and A Fistful of Dollars while we're at it)
    A History of Violence
    Mission: Impossible 2
    The Mummy
    The Mummy Returns
    Patriot Games (I don't own the other Jack Ryan movies so I can't judge)
    Patton
    Spartacus
    But I own a ton of stuff that could use a new master/encode. Pretty much every early catalog release from Warners, MGM, Fox, Universal, and Paramount has that soft DVD-master look to it. Early Paramount titles look like straight DVD upconversions.

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    The early Paramount Blu-Rays looked like they were soaked in DNR, particularly Coming to America, Fatal Attraction and The Untouchables. They seem to have learned their lesson.

West Side Story was supposed to get a correction. I broke down and bought it with the anticipation of a correction. I even sent in the disc and got back the new one, but I'm still waiting for a real correction.

13. Guest

I'd like to see a remaster of Grease with the original Paramount logo and the original soundtrack mix.

14. moovtune

moovtune Well-Known Member

James
    I'd like a new "Fiddler on the Roof" with that one song number having fixed sync. It's dreadfully out as it is.

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Seconded. I don't know what Randal Kleiser was thinking approving that mix. The male back-up singers on the second verse of "You're the One that I Want" are so badly out of sync it's not funny.

16. Guest

He also added background singers to "Hopelessly Devoted to You" (also drowning out sound effects at the end of the song.)

17. AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER Well-Known Member

The Fugitive needs work also

18. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Well-Known Member

RE: Grease
    IMDB's alternate versions section claims that early Home Video/TV versions deleted all Doris Day references from the Sandra Dee number. Was the very first home video release from the late 1970s (with the static PHV logo, that was primarily seen on Paramount Betamax releases) one of them?

19. John Morgan

John Morgan Well-Known Member

John
    Hate to nitpick on something that is so good..almost, but IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD should put back in the Entr'acte Music, and separate a bit the Overture to Main Title. Of course, getting the roadshow original would be best. And although Robert Harris disagrees, I would have liked the police calls added to the intermission as a seamless branching option. I will not live long enough to see the roadshow version, I fear.

20. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Add Purple Rain to the list. I just watched it. It looked upscaled from a dvd; you can see lots of digital scaling. It really just looks like you're watching a dvd. All that sharpness and sparkle is just gone; it looks foggy and digital. I don't know how authentic the soundtrack is to the original film, but it needs more BASS and badly!!! I can't believe they'd put out this film with an Oscar-winning score and let it sound so weak. Maybe that's the way it sounded in the theaters back in 1984, but the songs sound very very flat compared to the soundtrack CD.