What's new

idiot question... sub mounting (1 Viewer)

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Just curious about something. In my previous DIY projects I've mounted subs... how do I say this... "through" the front baffle. In other words, the backside of the mounting flange was in contact with the front of the baffle, with the speaker penetrating the baffle.

Recently, I've seen pics from DIY projects that look like the back of the baffle is counterbored for the speaker to mount from the backside. In other words, the front gasket is in contact with the back of the baffle, with the entire speaker on the backside of the baffle.

Did I miss something in the couple of years I stopped doing DIY projects? Is there a valid reason for the second mounting method? Is that dependant on application?

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think under today's enviornment you would first need to ask her permission. Then put on some soft music, perhaps a drink, and ease into it. I have always found that setting the mood is important before mounting, especially from behind the backside mounting flange:D

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Man you guys...:D

I think you mean counter sunk so the driver basket mounting flange is flush with the front baffle instead of raised above it..... ????

Just Guessing as you post is somewhat confusing....:confused:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Maybe he's talking about all the IB subs where the drivers are mounted on the outside of the box firing into it and through the manifold in the wall.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yup,

Brian that sounds more right or even a Iso mount. The IB dose sounds more like it tho, and if so, what an interesting way of explaning what he saw....

Geoff

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Yeah, that's what I mean! I couldn't figure out a good way of describing it... I guess pictures really are worth a thousand words.

Is there any reason for IB mounting to mount the sub from the outside of the manifold other than if the manifold opening was too small to get the speakers through (or if you had a long array like TomasW's that was diffiucult to get to the end of)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks