What's new

Ideas for extras, Lawrence of Arabia on Blu (1 Viewer)

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Hi all!

Isn´t it time for a thread re: a future release of LOA on Blu?

What extras would you all most like to see?

Personally I would like to suggest a featurette about what Lean and Anne V. Coates cut out of the film to arrive at the 1989 cut. A chance to create an instructive look at the editing, hopefully including the deleted material, even if only from pan and scan VHS materials, in case other materials are unavailable. Some or all edited scenes could be shown before and after the 1989 reediting.

Footage of Lean directing the redubbing in 1989 might also be available. Some of it has been released on earlier DVDs, either KWAI or INDIA.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Stefan Andersson

Personally I would like to suggest a featurette about what Lean cut out of the film to arrive at his 1989 cut. A chance to create an instructive look at his editing, hopefully including the deleted material, even if only from pan and scan VHS materials, in case other materials are unavailable. Some or all edited scenes could be shown before and after Lean´s fine-tuning, giving a closer look at what goes into creating a director´s cut.

Good idea but David Lean did not cut the film by himself. Anne Coates played a major part. So much so that when the movie was restored and the opportunity came up to do a fine cut, David Lean said to Robert Harris "Anne Coates and I will come in and re-cut the film".

I'm sure Robert Harris knows more about this than I do!

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
A commentary. American Pie 2 has four commentaries, The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia have zero between them. What a joke of a world.

Ideally two commentaries. One cast cand crew. Second historical and film experts.

Seamless branching between the main releases of the film, including an icon that appears when different/added material appears.

A big juicy booklet, re-printing material of the times as well as information on the different cuts (like The Abyss booklet did).

Isolated score.

A featurette dissecting the film's editing/cinematography especially the the film's three most famous scenes, the match cut, the mirage and the long shot of the battle leading overlooking the sea.

Lengthy documentary on the real life T.E. Lawrence.

BD-Live enabled RISK: Lawerence of Arabia edition.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
1. The complete restoration of the Lawrence/Allenby scene on the balcony. (Harris has said this could be done)

2. Isolated Score

3. A remastered transfer pulled from the 65mm print and scanned at 4k, removing dust/dirt/etc.
3a - Along the same lines, a remastering of the audio to update some of the SFX and final mix?

4. A lengthy documentary on the creation of the film, its production, restoration, and subsequent appreciation and legacy.

5. Outtakes, screen-tests (in particular Finney's), and shots pulled from the restoration (Lean trimmed the film down from its original roadshow running time, excising a supposed gorgeous shot.)

6. Commentary by Harris himself discussing the film's history and the restoration.

7. Interview of David Lean from the South Banks show (it's not Lawrence specific, but he rarely gave interviews and a release of this importance would warrant its inclusion).

Given how much people want this release and how it appears that they are holding of its release until the 50th Anniversary (December of 1012), this better be a whopper of a Special Edition. If they end up porting over the "extras" on the DVD it would be a shame and a disservice to one of the most important films in cinema history.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I like the ideas for extras but unfortunately I have read from multiple sources that elements do not exist to provide an isolated score.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by MatthewA

I like the ideas for extras but unfortunately I have read from multiple sources that elements do not exist to provide an isolated score.
Well it would be cool if they included a re-recorded version of the score, mixed into 5.1.

I suspect it will be released early next year for the 50th anniversary. I don't think they will wait until December.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
Though he's not allowed to say much, Robert Harris has pretty strongly alluded to an 8K transfer for LoA, which is really the only way to do the film justice.

I too would love to see some of the deleted material, regardless of condition. Maybe a few examples of the original sound track (from a 35mm optical or whatever) just to hear what it was like versus the redubbed voice for the 89 resto.

Commentaries are a must. For history's sake, Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif must be gotten on tape, as well as Ann Coates. Mr. Harris' input would be vital too.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Definitely some sort of new interview or commentary with Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, and Ann V. Coates. That these three legends are still with us is a blessing, and Sony would do well to record their thoughts and stories on the making of this monumental film before they leave us.

I was disappointed by the lack of newly produced supplements (other than a trivia track) on The Bridge on the River Kwai BD. Hopefully, they remedy that with this film.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
These ideas for extras are nice, but I consider utterly topnotch video (8k) and audio to be above all other considerations.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
Originally Posted by RobertR

These ideas for extras are nice, but I consider utterly topnotch video (8k) and audio to be above all other considerations.

Robert, I can almost promise you this will be the case. The film's restorer, Robert Harris, all but confirmed it on another thread. Certainly as long as he's involved in the process, they wouldn't do anything less.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Hi Robin9! Yes, Anne V. Coates edited Lawrence, and all due respect to her for her excellent work. When writing "Lean´s editing" I merely wanted to point out Lean´s deep personal involvement in editing decisions.

Wonderful to see such interest in extras. Very good ideas.

Yes, Mr. Finney´s screen test would be very interesting, perhaps along with an interview with Mr. Finney.

Hopefully Mr. Harris will be invited for a full audio commentary (similar to the Spartacus one) about the restoration work and a/v materials restored or lost.

For an example of interesting vintage materials (idea for reprinting in a booklet), see: http://www.bafta.org/archive/david-lean/the-making-of-lawrence-of-arabia,900,BA.html

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I'd also love to see the Finney test included, plus a new interview, though it's hard to see the normally diffident Mr F agreeing to that.

There was also a wonderful documentary made by the BBC in the 1980s called Lawrence and Arabia which beautifully and concisely covered all the significant aspects of TEL's life and career and had an absolutely revelatory interview with TE's brother, AE, who did everything he could to stop the Lean picture from being shown and actually did manage to prevent the publication of the screenplay.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I'm also wondering if there would be an interest in the "controversy" over the Robert Bolt and Michael Wilson screen credit? You covered it fully in your own book on "Lawrence" (which I luckily have a copy of) and it is very important to the film's full history. Not to denigrate Bolt's enormous contribution to the final film, but I don't think a lot of the film's fans are aware of Wilson's initial importance to the films structure and approach.

In case anyone's curious, here is a link to a very good article published in Cineaste in 1994.

http://www.davidlean.com/writings/Articles/Articles/who_wrote.html

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
If you are looking for more information on the restoration, here is a a link to an interview with Robert Harris from 1989.

http://www.davidlean.com/writings/Articles/Articles/restoring_lawrence.html

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Quote: Originally Posted by AdrianTurner

I'd also love to see the Finney test included, plus a new interview, though it's hard to see the normally diffident Mr F agreeing to that.

There was also a wonderful documentary made by the BBC in the 1980s called Lawrence and Arabia which beautifully and concisely covered all the significant aspects of TEL's life and career and had an absolutely revelatory interview with TE's brother, AE, who did everything he could to stop the Lean picture from being shown and actually did manage to prevent the publication of the screenplay.

I'm also wondering if there would be an interest in the "controversy" over the Robert Bolt and Michael Wilson screen credit? You covered it fully in your own book on "Lawrence" (which I luckily have a copy of) and it is very important to the film's full history. Not to denigrate Bolt's enormous contribution to the final film, but I don't think a lot of the film's fans are aware of Wilson's initial importance to the films structure and approach.

In case anyone's curious, here is a link to a very good article published in Cineaste in 1994.

http://www.davidlean.com/writings/Articles/Articles/who_wrot

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Stefan Andersson

First, my apologies for the multiple, repetitive posting--I was trying to update and delete some posts and ended up doing neither.

Anyway, I did run across this quote from Mr. Harris on the Criterion Laserdisc release. He said that the additional materials would include: "The entire script may possibly be put on the laser disc, plus the original trailers, and samples of daily continuity and mixing/dubbing sheets. We also have access to 65,000 feet of 16mm behind the scenes footage on the making of Lawrence. We also have footage of the New York and Los Angeles premieres, footage of Peter learning how to ride a camel, Albert Finney's screen test as Lawrence, and actual shots of Lawrence in Arabia in 1918." So, it seems at one time there was the potential for some pretty nice, exclusive additions added to a LOA release. Would be curious to know what happened to that original plan as I don't believe any of that footage as surfaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks