What's new

Ideas for DVD cabinet (1 Viewer)

Wes Warren

Grip
Hi everyone,
I love coming here and seeing what everyone is up to with their home theater projects. I am in the process of moving so mine is taking on a smaller shape. In my old place I had 3 bookcase that worked great for storing my dvds (around 250 now) as well as books and some CDs. Being as Im moving into a new place with a smaller family room I was looking into compressing the space needed for storing all my DVDs. I found this site dvdcabinet and the drawers seem to be the best idea I've seen so far. I am not happy about the cost however. My last solution cost me 90 bucks so this is a huge increase. Can anyone point me to a similar drawer type storage unit that is not quite so costly?

Tia
Wes

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I imagine you would be better off building your own from parts you can buy at Home Depot. The downside of that type of solution is the depth of space required. If you have tonnes of DVDs then it is probably a necessary evil, but with more modest collections you might want to look at other alternatives.

I'm in the process of finishing some built-in shelving in my theater area. It's a new house so I had the builders leave a hole in one wall. Into that I have a six-shelf DVD rack with a big tray for laserdiscs below. I figure capacity should be 425+ DVDs and 120+ laserdiscs. Because it's inset it takes up relatively little depth into the room. Looking quite nice with just finishing trim to go. I'll post pictures once complete. But if you have the opportunity to do something like this it may be a worthwhile alternative.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I have built-in shelves on either side of my TV (for the lack of a better term) nook. I used some aluminum rod and made shelves to hold my DVD and CD collections. You can see pics (with descriptions) of the shelves being built here.

As with Jay I would go the built in route to save space and give your room a nice custom look.

Good Luck!

JohnR

Auditioning
Wes, is it too easy to say that since you aren't looking to stick with the old solution, $90 is really irrelevant ;)

I have some of the cabinets you looked at, and they certainly take up more depth than a bookcase, but the width saving was important for me, as there was furniture the 'boss' refused to move. I have 'em stacked up like chord-wood!

Jay, your solution sounds the best, look forward to seeing the picture of that. That's the best time to plan something like this, so you can really accomodate what you need. Don;t think I will be able to convince the 'boss' to move just so I can get my perfect storage setup though :D

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
They seem like a great solution, but boy are they ugly! I keep looking for a DVD and CD storage solution that will allow you to store your collections out of sight in a tasteful manner that does not scream "DVDs and CDs are stored here!" I am beginning to believe that my only option is to hide drawers--such as those you found--in a closet somewhere.

JohnR

Auditioning
Ha ha ha. That's a bit harsh Torgny. I found the Can-Am cabinets originally from Dwell magazine, which is a pretty swishy home design magazine. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but LOL, tell us what you really think!

John

Wes Warren

Grip
No Tv Sean, I have a front projector so i was thinking that the center channel might go on top of it nicely. Thanks for all the responses guys. Looking forward to the pics Jay, even if I cant do something similar(not my place).

JohnR

Auditioning
sean, I don't like systems that have the pre-set shelf grooves though, I have too many CD and DVD box sets that require alternate storage. That (and out of sight, out of mind and out of dust) was my biggest critical feature.

I am also mechanically challenged, so anything Ikea-like, and not already assembled, is a pain in the rear to me :D I don't like Allen wrenches!

That stuff is skinnier than mine, but more than twice as tall, so it evens out. I have 3 cabinets 36" W x 60" H ( 3 at 20" each stacked) x 20" D which could hold 1000+ DVDs (I only have @ 200 DVDs, the rest is music and software CDs, tapes, ZIP disks, and some open areas for junk, magazines etc.)

John

p.s. why is it that forums like this elicit the need to share the most boring facts of your life! LOL

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Don't get me wrong I like those industrial storage cabinets. Actually, I don't have that $210 cabinet myself, but Wes was looking for something cheap so I browsed around for a few minutes to find him something.

As for my own DVD storage solution, I'll be building my own integrated storage when I start my wall unit project in October. The storage will include slide out drawers, with nicely finished wood angled shelving, three rows deep. I can't wait to start this project once I finish my son's phat custom dirtboard:

:) Such a small thing, but will end up being harder to build than the wall unit :) It's a fun diversion though.

Sean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks