What's new

I want to purchase "Tank" (A Universal Studio Selection), but it's full-frame... (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
My question is "Should I purchase it or not bother"?

I want to see this James Garner movie for both reviewing and personal reasons, but I see that Universal released it in full-frame.

My question is:

It says on the IMDB that the movie was filmed in 1:85:1 spherical Panavision. Is this still open-matte or is it pan-and-scan for a 1:85:1 movie?

I don't see Universal re-releasing this anytime soon, so do I purchase it or forget about it?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If anybody would know, it would be you guys.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You should never, never, ever, ever, nyat, nyet, nyuk, never watch a DVD that is not in its precice original aspect ratio, pfffth, froth, slobber, gaack.

That being said, I would do what ever you want.

Me, I watch movies. Sometimes I have to compromise, but I still enjoy them (e.g., the full-frame Remo Williams).

- Steve

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator
Guess it depends on how much you like the movie. I bit the bullet and bought the P&S "Running on Empty" because I love the film. If it had been any other movie I wouldn't have bothered.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
TANK isn't likely to be rereleased in a remastered, widescreen version anytime soon (unless Tommy Howell somehow wins an Oscar or something) so I'd say this is the only version you are likely to see in the near future.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Many of us, though not all, have one of these titles that we just cannot resist. For me, it was Summer Lovers.

With that one, there was some controversy over the film's original OAR due to an erroneous listing in Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide (IMDb picked up on this info, as well). He labelled the film as a Panavision title, tho it was later agreed upon by most viewers that it was, in fact, open matte, and the original press kit says it was shot in 1.85:1. That was when I bit the bullet.

Of course, I hold out hope for the deluxe edition in OAR with the circa-1982 documentary The Making of 'Summer Lovers', a tribute to the dearly departed Valerie Quennessen, and commentary with director Randal Kleiser, Daryl Hannah, and Peter Gallagher (perhaps in the persona of his O.C. character Sandy Cohen). :D

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Did you notice on the O.C. a few weeks back, Seth Cohen made a SUMMER LOVERS reference? Forgot what he said exactly but it was very funny to hear.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Yeah, I did. :D I was actually waiting for the moment the show would reference the film and I figured it would be Seth Cohen who would say the line. He mentioned that he would like to have a "menage-a-threesome like in the film Summer Lovers." It's too bad Gallagher's Sandy Cohen wasn't in the scene to react. I always thought the scene in which Sandy interrupts a threesome going on his bedroom during a raucous party as a sort of subtle nod to Summer Lovers. One of the fun things about the The O.C. is its good ear for pop culture. The younger Cohen (a stand-in for young creator Josh Schwartz) is usually the mouthpiece.

It's known that Gallagher wasn't too fond of his role in Summer Lovers for sometime, but he has seemed to mellow on it in recent years. I remember reading a funny little blurb in an entertainment magazine several years back that said Gallagher had returned to the film's Santorini's locale for a family vacation and was seen around the island with his wife and a "mystery woman" (his mother-in-law). Locals found it amusing that he was back years later and still in the company of two women. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Someone on here already has this as a signature, but it's a great line: "I should really learn to knock in case there's a threesome going on in my room." -- Sandy Cohen, The O.C.

walter o

Supporting Actor
TANK seems to me a open matte presentation, does not appear to be scope nor pan and scan, so if you have to buy it, then go with it, i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks